IACHEC Working Groups
The scope of these working groups is to define standard procedures for the calibration of high-energy instrumentation in specific areas, such as: methodology, definition of calibration targets and requirements for future missions.
Particular emphasis is addressed to the definition of a set of "high-energy standard candles", which can be used as reference for the calibration of past, present and future X-ray instruments. Each type of standard candle is intended to optimally address a specific parameter sub-space in the energy or timing domain. In this framework, the scope of these working groups is
- to agree on a "standard spectral model" for each of the high-energy standard candle
- to maintain a database of cross-calibration results on the high-energy standard candles
- to maintain a database of standard candle spectral data, through which any high-energy astronomers will be able to reproduce and gain confidence on the results produced by the IACHEC Working Groups
The currently active Working Groups are:
- Calibration Uncertainties (Chair: Vinay Kashyap).
Systematic errors in calibration are important, and must be dealt
with, either by working to eliminate them, or by providing people with
means to deal with them.
Current members:: K.Arnaud, J.Drake, C.Grant, M.Guainazzi, V.Kashyap, D.Jerius, K.Madsen, H.Marshall, P.Ratzlaff, A.Vikhlinin.
- CCD issues (Chair: Catherine
It aims to provide a forum for cross-mission discussion and comparison of
CCD-specific modelling and calibration issues, lessons learnt, and best
Current members:: A.Beardmore (Swift/XRT), R.Edgar (Chandra/ACIS), E.Miller (Suzaku/XIS), P.Plucinsky (Chandra/ACIS), S.Sembay (XMM-Newton/EPIC-MOS), M.Smith (XMM-Newton/EPIC-pn), M.Sugizaki (MAXI), M.Tsujimoto (Suzaku/XIS).
- Clusters of galaxies (Chair: Jukka
Nevalainen). It aims at a systematic comparison of cluster temperatures
measured by Chandra and XMM-Newton, with a possible extension of this
comparison to Suzaku in the nearby future.
Current members: A.Beardmore (Swift/XRT), M.Bonamente, Y.Chen (HXMT), Y.-P.Chen (HXMT) L.David (Chandra), J.de Plaa (XMM-Newton), K.Forster (NuSTAR), C.Grant (Chandra/ACIS), K.Kettula (Suzaku/XIS, XMM-Newton/EPIC) K.Madsen (NuSTAR), H.Matsumoto (Suzaku/XIS), E.Miller (Suzaku/XIS), N.Ota (Suzaku, Astro-H) A.Read (XMM-Newton/EPIC-MOS), G.Schellenberger (XMM-Newton/EPIC, Chandra/ACIS), S.Snowden (XMM-Newton/EPIC-MOS), M.Stuhlinger (XMM-Newton/EPIC), S,Suchy, C.Tenzer (XMM-Newton/EPIC-pn), N-J. Westergaard (NuSTAR).
- Contamination (Chair: Eric Miller). It aims to understand the chemical composition, time dependence, and spatial variation of molecular contamination on all in-orbit instruments, and how such contamination can be mitigated for current and future missions.
Current members: L.David (Chandra), T.Dotani (Astro-H), M.Freyberg (eROSITA), T.Gaetz (Chandra), C.Grant (Chandra), K.Hamaguchi (Suzaku), H.Marshall (Chandra), S.O'Dell (Chandra), S.Sembay (XMM-Newton EPIC), D.Swartz (Chandra), M.Tsujimoto (Suzaku, Astro-H), C.de Vries (XMM-Newton RGS), Q.Wada (Suzaku)
- Effective area
(Chairs: Manabu Ishida
and Hermann Marshall). It
aims at the analysis of the Chandra, Suzaku and XMM-Newton
cross-calibration campaign data on PKS2155-304 collected so far.
Current members: A.Beardmore (Swift/XRT), K.Jahoda (RXTE/PCA), J.P.Roques (Integral/SPI), M.Stuhlinger (XMM-Newton/EPIC), M.Tsujimoto (Suzaku/XIS), E.Thompson (Fermi).
(Initiator: Matteo Guainazzi).
This Working Group aims at:
a) providing a platform for the discussion of experiences coming from operational missions;
b) facilitating the usage of good practises for the management of pre- and
post-flight calibration data and procedures;
c) documenting the best practises in analysing high-energy astronomical data as a
reference for the whole scientific community;
d) ensuring the usage of homogeneous data analysis procedures across the IACHEC
calibration and cross-calibration activities;
e) consolidating and disseminate the experience of operational missions on the
optimal calibration sources for each specific calibration goal.
Current members: D.Burrows (Swift), G.Case (Fermi), L.David (Chandra), K.Forster (NuSTAR), C.Grant (Chandra), M.Guainazzi (Astro-H, XMM-Newton), K.Madsen (NuSTAR), E.Miller (Astro-H, Suzaku), J.Nevalainen (multi-mission), T.Ohashi (Astro-H, DIOS), R.Petre (Astro-H), A.Pollock (Gaia), A.Read (XMM-Newton), N.Westergaard (Integral, NuSTAR) Y.Tawara (DIOS)
- High Resolution (Chair: Adam Foster). It aims at a
complete census of emission lines in the RGS and LETG spectrum of Capella.
Current members: V.Burwitz (XMM-Newton/EPIC-pn), T.Gaetz (Chandra/HRMA), K.Hamaguchi (Suzaku/XIS and Suzaku/XRT), J.Kaastra (XMM-Newton/RGS).
- Non-Thermal SNR (Chair: Lorenzo Natalucci and Masahiro Tsujimoto). It aims at the cross-calibration analysis of G21.5-0.9 (mainly below 10 keV) and of the Crab (mainly above 10 keV) spectra.
Current members: A.Beardmore (Swift/XRT), G.Cusumano (Suzaku/XRT), L.David (Chandra), M.Guainazzi (XMM-Newton/EPIC-pn), J.Kaastra (Chandra/LETG, XMM-Newton/RGS), M.Ishida (Suzaku), K.Jahoda (RXTE/PCA), E,Jourdain (Integral/SPI), Y.Maeda (Chandra), A.Read (XMM-Newton/EPIC-MOS), R.Rothschild (RXTE/HEXTE), T.Sakamoto (Swift/BAT).
- Thermal SNR (Chair:
analysis of 1E0102.2-7219 (preliminary results available as
a SPIE paper)
Current members: A.Beardmore (Swift/XRT), D.Dewey (Chandra/HETG), J.dePasquale (Chandra/ACIS), A.Foster (atomic physics), M.Guainazzi (XMM-Newton/EPIC), F.Haberl (XMM-Newton/EPIC-pn), H.Marshall (Chandra/HETG), E.Miller (Suzaku/XIS), A.Pollock (XMM-Newton/RGS), S.Sembay (XMM-Newton/EPIC-MOS), R.Smith (atomic physics).
- White Dwarfs and Isolated Neutron Stars (Chair: Vadim
Burwitz). It aims at comparing atmospheric models in conjunction with
analysis of high-resolution data.
Current members: A.Beardmore (Swift/XRT), V.Burwitz (XMM-Newton/EPIC-pn), J.Cottam (XMM-Newton/RGS), C.de Vries (XMM-Newton/RGS), T.Dotani (Suzaku), J.Drake (Chandra), F.Haberl (XMM-Newton/EPIC-pn), J.Kaastra (Chandra/LETG and XMM-Newton/RGS), H.Marshall (Chandra/HETG), E.Miller (Suzaku/XIS), N.Schultz (Chandra/HETG). S.Sembay (XMM-Newton/EPIC-MOS).
The Chairs of the Working Groups meet periodically via teleconference to review the status of their activities. Informal notes from these meetings follow:
- WGs Chairs Meeting #17, February 4, 2014.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #16, December 17, 2013.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #15, September 16, 2013.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #14, February 27, 2013.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #13, January 22, 2013.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #12, January 4, 2013.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #11, November 16, 2012.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #10, March 16, 2011.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #9, January 25, 2011.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #8, December 16, 2010.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #7, November 24, 2010.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #6, February 26, 2010.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #5, January 25, 2010.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #4, December 3, 2009.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #3, February 6, 2009.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #2, January 16, 2009.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #1, November 7, 2008.