IACHEC Working Groups
The scope of these working groups is to define standard procedures for the calibration of high-energy instrumentation in specific areas, such as: methodology, definition of calibration targets and requirements for future missions.
Particular emphasis is addressed to the definition of a set of "high-energy standard candles", which can be used as reference for the calibration of past, present and future X-ray instruments. Each type of standard candle is intended to optimally address a specific parameter sub-space in the energy or timing domain. In this framework, the scope of these working groups is
- to agree on a "standard spectral model" for each of the high-energy standard candle
- to maintain a database of cross-calibration results on the high-energy standard candles
- to maintain a database of standard candle spectral data, through which any high-energy astronomers will be able to reproduce and gain confidence on the results produced by the IACHEC Working Groups
The currently active Working Groups are:
- CCD issues (Chair: Catherine
It aims to provide a forum for cross-mission discussion and comparison of
CCD-specific modeling and calibration issues, lessons learned, and best
Current members:: A.Beardmore (Swift/XRT), R.Edgar (Chandra/ACIS), E.Miller (Suzaku/XIS), P.Plucinsky (Chandra/ACIS), S.Sembay (XMM-Newton/EPIC-MOS), M.Smith (XMM-Newton/EPIC-pn), M.Sugizaki (MAXI), M.Tsujimoto (Suzaku/XIS).
- Clusters of galaxies (Chair: Jukka
Nevalainen). It aims at a systematic comparison of cluster temperatures
measured by Chandra and XMM-Newton, with a possible extension of this
comparison to Suzaku in the nearby future.
Current members: A.Beardmore (Swift/XRT), M.Bonamente, Y.Chen (HXMT), Y.-P.Chen (HXMT) L.David (Chandra), J.de Plaa (XMM-Newton), K.Forster (NuSTAR), C.Grant (Chandra/ACIS), K.Kettula (Suzaku/XIS, XMM-Newton/EPIC) K.Madsen (NuSTAR), H.Matsumoto (Suzaku/XIS), E.Miller (Suzaku/XIS), N.Ota (Suzaku, Astro-H) A.Read (XMM-Newton/EPIC-MOS), G.Schellenberger (XMM-Newton/EPIC, Chandra/ACIS), S.Snowden (XMM-Newton/EPIC-MOS), M.Stuhlinger (XMM-Newton/EPIC), S,Suchy, C.Tenzer (XMM-Newton/EPIC-pn), N-J. Westergaard (NuSTAR).
- Effective area
(Chairs: Manabu Ishida
and Hermann Marshall). It
aims at the analysis of the Chandra, Suzaku and XMM-Newton
cross-calibration campaign data on PKS2155-304 collected so far.
Current members: A.Beardmore (Swift/XRT), K.Jahoda (RXTE/PCA), J.P.Roques (Integral/SPI), M.Stuhlinger (XMM-Newton/EPIC), M.Tsujimoto (Suzaku/XIS), E.Thompson (Fermi).
- High Resolution (Chair: Andy
Pollock). It aims at a
complete census of emission lines in the RGS and LETG spectrum of Capella.
Current members: V.Burwitz (XMM-Newton/EPIC-pn), T.Gaetz (Chandra/HRMA), K.Hamaguchi (Suzaku/XIS and Suzaku/XRT), J.Kaastra (XMM-Newton/RGS).
- Non-Thermal SNR (Chair: Lorenzo Natalucci and Masahiro Tsujimoto). It aims at the cross-calibration analysis of G21.5-0.9 (mainly below 10 keV) and of the Crab (mainly above 10 keV) spectra.
Current members: A.Beardmore (Swift/XRT), G.Cusumano (Suzaku/XRT), L.David (Chandra), M.Guainazzi (XMM-Newton/EPIC-pn), J.Kaastra (Chandra/LETG, XMM-Newton/RGS), M.Ishida (Suzaku), K.Jahoda (RXTE/PCA), E,Jourdain (Integral/SPI), Y.Maeda (Chandra), A.Read (XMM-Newton/EPIC-MOS), R.Rothschild (RXTE/HEXTE), T.Sakamoto (Swift/BAT).
- Thermal SNR (Chair:
analysis of 1E0102.2-7219 (preliminary results available as
a SPIE paper)
Current members: A.Beardmore (Swift/XRT), D.Dewey (Chandra/HETG), J.dePasquale (Chandra/ACIS), A.Foster (atomic physics), M.Guainazzi (XMM-Newton/EPIC), F.Haberl (XMM-Newton/EPIC-pn), H.Marshall (Chandra/HETG), E.Miller (Suzaku/XIS), A.Pollock (XMM-Newton/RGS), S.Sembay (XMM-Newton/EPIC-MOS), R.Smith (atomic physics).
- White Dwarfs and Isolated Neutron Stars (Chair: Vadim
Burwitz). It aims at comparing atmospheric models in conjunction with
analysis of high-resolution data.
Current members: A.Beardmore (Swift/XRT), V.Burwitz (XMM-Newton/EPIC-pn), J.Cottam (XMM-Newton/RGS), C.de Vries (XMM-Newton/RGS), T.Dotani (Suzaku), J.Drake (Chandra), F.Haberl (XMM-Newton/EPIC-pn), J.Kaastra (Chandra/LETG and XMM-Newton/RGS), H.Marshall (Chandra/HETG), E.Miller (Suzaku/XIS), N.Schultz (Chandra/HETG). S.Sembay (XMM-Newton/EPIC-MOS).
The Chairs of the Working Groups meet periodically via teleconference to review the status of their activities. Informal notes from these meetings follow:
- WGs Chairs Meeting #14, February 27, 2013.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #13, January 22, 2013.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #12, January 4, 2013.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #11, November 16, 2012.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #10, March 16, 2011.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #9, January 25, 2011.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #8, December 16, 2010.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #7, November 24, 2010.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #6, February 26, 2010.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #5, January 25, 2010.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #4, December 3, 2009.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #3, February 6, 2009.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #2, January 16, 2009.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #1, November 7, 2008.