IACHEC Working Groups
The scope of these working groups is to define standard procedures for the calibration of high-energy instrumentation in specific areas, such as: methodology, definition of calibration targets and requirements for future missions.
Particular emphasis is addressed to the definition of a set of "high-energy standard candles", which can be used as reference for the calibration of past, present and future X-ray instruments. Each type of standard candle is intended to optimally address a specific parameter sub-space in the energy or timing domain. In this framework, the scope of these working groups is
- to agree on a "standard spectral model" for each of the high-energy standard candle
- to maintain a database of cross-calibration results on the high-energy standard candles
- to maintain a database of standard candle spectral data, through which any high-energy astronomers will be able to reproduce and gain confidence on the results produced by the IACHEC Working Groups
The currently active Working Groups are:
- Calibration Uncertainties (Chair: Vinay Kashyap).
Systematic errors in calibration are important, and must be dealt
with, either by working to eliminate them, or by providing people with
means to deal with them: these are the two main goals of this WG.
Current members:: Keith Arnaud, Larry David Jeremy Drake, Catherine Grant, Matteo Guainazzi, Vinay Kashyap, Alexei Vikhlinin, Diab Jerius, Kristin Madsen, Herman Marshall, Peter Ratzlaff, Gerrit Schellenberger.
- CCD issues (Chair: Catherine
It aims to provide a forum for cross-mission discussion and comparison of
CCD-specific modelling and calibration issues, lessons learnt, and best
Current members:: A.Beardmore, R.Edgar, E.Miller, P.Plucinsky, S.Sembay, M.Smith, M.Sugizaki, M.Tsujimoto.
- Clusters of galaxies (Chair: Jukka
Nevalainen). It aims at a systematic comparison of cluster temperatures
measured by Chandra and XMM-Newton, with a possible extension of this
comparison to Suzaku in the nearby future.
Current members: A.Beardmore, M.Bonamente, Y.Chen, Y.-P.Chen, L.David, J.de Plaa, K.Forster, C.Grant, K.Kettula, K.Madsen, H.Matsumoto, E.Miller, N.Ota, A.Read, G.Schellenberger, S.Snowden, M.Stuhlinger, S.Suchy, C.Tenzer, N-J.Westergaard.
- Contamination (Chair: Eric Miller). It aims to understand the chemical composition, time dependence, and spatial variation of molecular contamination on all in-orbit instruments, and how such contamination can be mitigated for current and future missions.
Current members: L.David, T.Dotani, M.Freyberg, T.Gaetz, C.Grant, K.Hamaguchi, H.Marshall, S.O'Dell, S.Sembay, D.Swartz, M.Tsujimoto, C.de Vries, Q.Wada.
- Effective area
(Chairs: Manabu Ishida
and Hermann Marshall). It
aims at the analysis of the Chandra, Suzaku and XMM-Newton
cross-calibration campaign data on PKS2155-304 collected so far.
Current members: A.Beardmore, K.Jahoda, J.P.Roques, M.Stuhlinger, M.Tsujimoto, E.Thompson.
(Initiator: Matteo Guainazzi).
This Working Group aims at:
a) providing a platform for the discussion of experiences coming from operational missions;
b) facilitating the usage of good practises for the management of pre- and
post-flight calibration data and procedures;
c) documenting the best practises in analysing high-energy astronomical data as a
reference for the whole scientific community;
d) ensuring the usage of homogeneous data analysis procedures across the IACHEC
calibration and cross-calibration activities;
e) consolidating and disseminate the experience of operational missions on the
optimal calibration sources for each specific calibration goal.
Current members: D.Burrows, G.Case, L.David, K.Forster, C.Grant, M.Guainazzi, K.Madsen, E.Miller, J.Nevalainen, T.Ohashi, R.Petre, A.Pollock, A.Read, Y.Terada N.J.Westergaard.
- High Resolution (Chair: Adam Foster). It aims
at a complete census of emission lines in high resolution observations made by the Chandra LEG/HEG and RGS, starting with the spectrum of Capella.
Current members: Jelle De Plaa, Terry Gaetz, Vinay Kashyap, Rob Petre, Norbert Schulz.
- Non-Thermal SNR (Chair: Lorenzo Natalucci and Masahiro Tsujimoto). It aims at the cross-calibration analysis of G21.5-0.9 (mainly below 10 keV) and of the Crab (mainly above 10 keV) spectra.
Current members: A.Beardmore, G.Cusumano, L.David, M.Guainazzi, J.Kaastra, M.Ishida, K.Jahoda, E,Jourdain, Y.Maeda, A.Read, R.Rothschild, T.Sakamoto.
- Thermal SNR (Chair:
analysis of 1E0102.2-7219 (preliminary results available as
a SPIE paper)
Current members: A.Beardmore, D.Dewey, J.dePasquale, A.Foster, M.Guainazzi, F.Haberl, H.Marshall, E.Miller, A.Pollock, S.Sembay, R.Smith.
- White Dwarfs and Isolated Neutron Stars (Chair: Vadim
Burwitz). It aims at comparing atmospheric models in conjunction with
analysis of high-resolution data.
Current members: A.Beardmore, V.Burwitz, J.Cottam, C.de Vries, T.Dotani, J.Drake, F.Haberl, J.Kaastra, H.Marshall, E.Miller, N.Schultz, S.Sembay.
The Chairs of the Working Groups meet periodically via teleconference to review the status of their activities. Informal notes from these meetings follow:
- WGs Chairs Meeting #18, November 7, 2014.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #17, February 4, 2014.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #16, December 17, 2013.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #15, September 16, 2013.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #14, February 27, 2013.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #13, January 22, 2013.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #12, January 4, 2013.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #11, November 16, 2012.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #10, March 16, 2011.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #9, January 25, 2011.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #8, December 16, 2010.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #7, November 24, 2010.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #6, February 26, 2010.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #5, January 25, 2010.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #4, December 3, 2009.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #3, February 6, 2009.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #2, January 16, 2009.
- WGs Chairs Meeting #1, November 7, 2008.