For-Credit Subjects: Registration
This page contains information for students on registering for IAP credit subjects, including instructions on adding and dropping subjects, online pre-registration, taking fall subjects that extend into January, participating in Physical Education classes, IAP subject grading, and cross-registration.
- For-credit subjects are listed in the online IAP Listings and in the Online Subject Listing and Schedule beginning in November. Please review the IAP 2015 class schedule to verify what has already been submitted by departments.
- IAP is different from spring and fall terms in that students are not generally required to participate and there are a few restrictions on adding and dropping subjects during this period. However, there is a 12-unit credit limit for all students during IAP.
- Pre-registration for IAP begins on December 1, but there is no formal registration process for IAP as there is for fall and spring. Students will receive email confirmation of the subject(s) for which they have registered after the term begins.
- Advisors are encouraged to discuss January plans with their advisees, but they are not required to approve a student's subject selections for IAP. Advisors will receive email confirmation of the subject(s) for which their advisees have registered after the term begins.
- Subjects continuing from fall term such as 8.01L, and 18.02A impact the amount of units a student may take during January. Freshmen should pay special attention to the credit restrictions on these subjects.
- Participating in a UROP for credit also counts towards the credit limit. For more information on UROP for credit during IAP, go to the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) website.
- Students register for IAP Physical Education classes through the physical education website.
- Undergraduates register between Wednesday, December 3 at 8am and Wednesday, December 10 at 1pm, and graduate students register between Tuesday, December 9 at 8am - Wednesday, December 10 at 1pm
Faculty send final grades to the Registrar by February 4, 2015. Grades become available on WebSIS later that month. Students should contact their instructors to make sure grades are submitted. Grades will appear on students' official transcript under the subject's official MIT Bulletin title.
Cambridge University students participating in the Cambridge/MIT Undergraduate Exchange may participate in IAP for-credit subjects and non-credit activities. Cambridge students wishing to enroll in a for-credit subject must pre-register for IAP beginning on December 1, as do MIT students.