Using the For-Credit IAP Subject Posting System
The IAP 2015 posting system will become available in late September 2014. This page includes instructions on: how to submit subject descriptions for review, renewing IAP subject postings from previous years, posting new subjects, and accessing your current year's postings. It might be helpful to print these instructions as a ready reference while posting a subject description. This page contains instructions only; all subject postings start from your personal IAP For Credit Posting Summary page.
Before you attempt to post a subject, you must obtain posting authorization from IAP staff. To determine if you already have posting authority, please check the IAP Coordinators by Sponsor page. If you are not the authorized IAP Coordinator for your area or have questions about submitting subjects, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
In order to post IAP subjects, you must have MIT web certificates. If you don't have web certificates, you may obtain them via the MIT IS&T certificates page.
Note that IAP uses separate systems for posting for-credit subject and non-credit activity listings. See the Posting Non-Credit Listings page for information on the non-credit activity posting system.
General Instructions: Posting for-Credit IAP Subject Listings
All approved subject listings from a previous IAP are available for "rollover" to the current year. On your IAP Posting summary page, find the listing you want to rollover: If you have more than 20 listings, you need first to select Rollover Candidates' on your summary page.
- If you don't find the listing you are looking for, check that you are still authorized for the sponsoring group.
- Select the subject from a previous that you wish to rollover. You will see the detail page for the rollover listing, without the schedule or leaders from that year.
- Select 'Edit' and start making edits for the current IAP. The edit form will contain the titles, descriptions, prerequisites, enrollment and attendance options from last year's posting.
- Enter the leaders and schedule for this year's listing(s).
- Proofread the listing for other changes you need to make.
- Click on 'Verify and Save Current Form Contents'. This is when your rollover occurs.
- When you return to your personal Posting Summary page, the listing will appear under 'Draft' listing for the current year. It no longer appears on the Rollover Candidate list.
- Word limits are strictly enforced. You may be required to shorten descriptions being rolled over from previous years.
Only department IAP Coordinators may post subjects. On the IAP Department summary page:
- Locate 'Add (or Rollover Subject).'
- Enter the subject code and number, and Click on 'Add Subject'.
- You will receive a Subject Input Form for the subject.
- The IAP subject, title, level, units of credit, grading, prerequisites, and subject description from the MIT Catalogue are automatically filled in.
- If the subject is 'Special Topics', you must enter units of credit.
- Add an auxiliary IAP description, title, IAP prerequisite and other data.
- Your edits are saved when you click on 'Verify and Save Current Form Contents'.
- When you save the new listing, you will return to the Detail page.
- From the Detail page you can proofread your listing, return to the edit forms, or submit or withdraw it.
A series posting is a listing for which the attendance option is 'Participants/Listeners May Attend Individual Sessions'. When you specify that a subject is a series, individual sessions are displayed online with their title, leaders, and descriptions. To specify that your subject is a series:
- Enter the basic form information including the leaders, description, etc. for the series as a whole.
- Select the series attendance option: 'Listeners May Attend Individual Sessions' (Subject).
- Enter the schedule for your series.
- When you initially return to the Detail page (by clicking on 'Verify and Save Current Form Contents'), you will see that each day of your schedule is assigned to a different session.
- Edit the individual sessions by clicking on 'Edit this Session' to go to the 'Subject Session Form'. The session input form allows you to enter the title, description, leaders, and schedule for one session at a time. Note: one session can span more than one day. Each session can meet at different times and in different locations.
- When you are finished editing one session, edit the next by clicking on 'Save this Session, Start Next' or return to the Detail Page by clicking on 'Save this Session, Return to Detail'.
- Back on the Detail Page, you can choose to remove extraneous sessions or add new sessions.
Special features of series listings:
- When you edit the main description for a series listing, you will see the schedule for your listing but not be able to change it. Use the Individual session forms to change the schedule.
On your IAP summary page:
- Scroll down to your Subject Listings. If you have more than 20 listings, on your IAP summary page, you will need first to select a specific IAP status to display listings.
- Select the subject that you wish to edit.
- You will receive the detail page for the listing. The options you have depend upon the status of your listing:
- If your listing is in 'Draft' status, you can edit, submit, withdraw.
- If your listing is submitted but not yet approved, you may only view.
- If your listing is 'Approved', you may start work on a new version. The currently approved version remains in the Guide until the new one is submitted and approved.
- Select 'Edit' to work on your listing. You will receive the Subject Input form filled in with all the data from the detail listing..
- Make your changes and proof them.
- Your work is saved only when you click on 'Verify and Save Current Form Contents'.
- When you save the listing, you will return to the Detail page.