Undergraduate Enrolled Student Survey (ESS)
Every four years, MIT administers an Enrolled Student Survey in the spring semester. All undergraduates are invited to answer. The on-line survey asks students about time spent doing various activities in and out of the classroom, student perceptions about how their skills and abilities have changed since enrolling at MIT, and their sources of advice about academic, career, and personal choices.
|2015 Undergrad ESS||Web Preview | PDF of entire survey||63%||Overall Results|
|2011 Undergrad ESS||Web Preview | Emails||65%||Highlights & Overall Results|
|2009 PULSE Survey||Web Preview | PDF | Emails||42%||Overall Results|
|2007 Undergrad ESS||Web Preview | Emails||62%||Overall Results|
|2003 Undergrad ESS||PDF | Emails||43%||Overall Results|
Recent Findings (2011 Undergraduate Enrolled Student Survey)
- Over 90% of students rate their entire educational experience at MIT as either Good or Excellent, and this figure is consistent across all four class
years. This number has also climbed steadily over the three administrations of the Enrolled Students Survey.
- Students expressed high levels of satisfaction with the overall quality of instruction (95% Very or Generally Satisfied) and somewhat lower levels of satisfaction with the opportunities for class discussion and academic advising, (88% and 71% Very or Generally Satisfied, respectively).
- 94% of students said that given the chance to do it all over again, they would still choose MIT for their undergraduate education.
- Students appear to get to know faculty better over time, with the percent of students saying that one or more faculty know them well enough to write them a letter of recommendation climbing from just over 50% for Freshmen to over 90% for Seniors.
- Over 80% of students are Generally or Very Satisfied with social life on campus, the sense of community on campus, and the sense of community where they live.
- 57% of students report feeling overwhelmed by all that they had to do Often or Very Often in the current academic year, up from 44% in 2007.
- 87% of overall students report that concerns about their future plans were at least Slightly stressful for them, with the reported stress increasing as students approach the end of their undergraduate education.
- Read more in the 2011 Highlights.
Other Enrolled Undergraduate Surveys
OpenCourseWare surveys all undergraduates every two years to understand how to improve the MIT OCW Web site so that it serves as a valuable resource for members of the MIT community. The MIT Libraries surveys all students, researchers, faculty, and instructional staff every three years.