Traveling to Canada, Mexico, or Adjacent Islands

International students who plan to travel to Canada, Mexico or Adjacent Islands for a Short Visit (Less than 30 Days) must be in possession of:

  1. Valid Passport. It must be valid for at least 6 months when you reenter the US
  2. Valid I-94 with D/S notation
  3. Valid I-20 for F-1 Visa Students. A new I-20 form or page 3 of your I-20 which has been signed by one of the advisors in the International Students Office within the last 6 months
    Valid DS-2019 for J-1 Visa Students. A new DS-2019 or your current DS-2019 which has been signed within last 6 months by your sponsor. If MIT is your sponsor you will need the signature of one of the advisors in the International Students Office, otherwise you need to contact your visa sponsor.
  4. Valid Canadian Visa, if citizens from your home country need one. (Check with the International Students Office or the attached notice from the Canadian Consulate). To obtain a visa to visit Canada, students should complete and send an application form to the Canadian Consulate General, Immigration Section, 1251 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10020 (Telephone: (212) 596-1700). For more detailed information please see the attached notice.
  5. Proof of Financial Support other than your I-20 or DS-2019, e.g. original financial certification form and supporting documents.
  6. Documentation of MIT enrollment (letter from department, unofficial transcript, MIT ID card, etc.)

Please be advised that entry into the US is at the sole discretion of the US Border and Customs Protection (USBCP) Immigration Officer at the US border.

Special Note: A valid U.S. visa is not necessary to re-enter the U.S. after a visit to Canada, Mexico, or Adjacent Islands because of a special provision in immigration law called “Automatic Revalidation” (22 CFR 41.112). Automatic Revalidation does not apply to students from state sponsors of terrorism (Cuba, Iran, Syria, and Sudan). Automatic Revalidation does not apply if the student has applied for a non-immigrant visa in Canada or Mexico during their trip.

Top of Page