77 Massachusetts Ave.
Cambridge, MA 02139
Telephone: (617) 253-7186
Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
M.S., Cornell University
M.S.C.E., Istanbul Technical University, Istanbul, Turkey
Research Interests :
Professor Buyukozturk’s research focuses on mechanics and design of structures and innovative materials. His work includes behavior and design of concrete structures, integrity assessment of reinforced/prestressed nuclear containment systems, durability of materials, earthquake engineering, interface fracture mechanics, fiber-reinforced polymer (FRP) composites in structural rehabilitation, and structural assessment and nondestructive testing (NDT). His recent research focus also includes multi-scale analysis of multi-layer material systems using molecular dynamics (MD).
• 1.541/1.054 Mechanics and design of concrete structures
• 1.036 Structural and geotechnical engineering design
• 1.56J Structural mechanics in nuclear power technology
• 21W.781/ESD.032J Colossal Failures in Engineering
• Lau, D., Buyukozturk, O. and Buehler, M.J., "Characterization of the adhesive strength between epoxy and silica using a free energy approach", Journal of Materials Research, accepted for publication.
• Gunes, O. and Buyukozturk, O. (2012), "Simulation-based microwave imaging of plain and reinforced concrete for nondestructive evaluation", International Journal of Physical Sciences, Vol.7, No.3, pp.383-393.
• Tuakta, C. and Buyukozturk, O. (2011), "Conceptual model for prediction of FRP/concrete bond strength under moisture cycles", Journal of Composites for Construction, Vol.15, No.5, pp.743-756.
• Tuakta, C. and Buyukozturk, O. (2011), "Deterioration of FRP/concrete bond system under variable moisture conditions quantified by fracture mechanic", Composite Part B: Engineering, Vol.42, No.2, pp.145-154.
• Buyukozturk, O., Buehler, M.J., Lau, D. and Tuakta, C. (2011), "Structural solution using molecular dynamics: fundamentals and a case study of epoxy-silica interface", International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol.48, No.14-15, pp.2131-2140.
• Ozkaynak, H. Yuksel, E., Buyukozturk, O., Yalcin, C. and Dindar, A.A.(2011), "Quasi-static and pseudo-dynamic testing of infilled RC frames retrofitted with CFRP material", Composite Part B: Engineering, Vol.42, No.2, pp.238-263.
• Lau, D. and Buyukozturk, O. (2010), "Fracture characterization of concrete/epoxy interface affected by moisture", Mechanics of Materials, Vol.42, No.12, pp.1031-1042.
• Yuksel, E., Ozkaynak, H., Buyukozturk, O., Yalcin, C., Dindar, A.A., Surmeli, M., and Tastan, D. (2010), "Performance of alternative CFRP retrofitting schemes used in infilled RC frames", Construction and Building Materials, Vol.24, No.4, pp.596-609.
• Gunes, O., Buyukozturk, O., and Karaca, E. (2009), “A Fracture-based model for FRP Debonding in Strengthened Beams”, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol.76, No.12, pp.1897-1909.
• Buyukozturk, O.and Yu, T.-Y. (2009), “Far-field radar NDT technique for detecting GFRP debonding from concrete”, International Journal of Construction and Building Materials, Vol.23, pp.1678-1689.
• Yu, T.-Y. and Buyukozturk, O. (2008), "A far-field airborne radar NDT technique for detecting debonding in GFRP-retrofitted concrete structures." NDT&E International, Vol.41, pp.10-24.
• Au, C. and Buyukozturk, O. (2006), “Debonding of FRP plated concrete: a tri-layer fracture treatment”, International Journal of Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol.73, pp.348-365.
• Au, C. and Buyukozturk, O. (2006), “Peel and shear fracture characterization of debonding in FRP plated concrete affected by moisture”, ASCE Journal of Composites for Construction, Vol.10, No.1, pp. 35-47.
• Buyukozturk, O., Yu, T.-Y., and Ortega, J.A. (2006), “A methodology for determining complex permittivity of construction materials based on transmission-only coherent, wide-bandwidth free-space measurements”, Cement and Concrete Composites, Vol.28, No.4, pp.349-359.
• Au, C. and Buyukozturk, O. (2005), “Effect of fiber orientation and ply mix on fiber reinforced polymer-confined concrete", Journal of Composites for Construction, ASCE, Vol.9, No.5, pp. 397-407.
• Buyukozturk, O., Gunes O., and
Karaca, E. (2004), “Progress in
Understanding Debonding Problems
in Reinforced Concrete and Steel
Members Strengthened Using FRP
Journal of Construction and
Building Materials, Vol.
18, No.1, pp.
• Buyukozturk, O. and Gunes, O. (2003), “Advances
in Earthquake Risk Assessment and
Hazard Mitigation for Urban Infrastructure
with High Characteristic Variability”,
ARI Journal of Physical and
Engineering Sciences, Vol.
53, No. 2, pp.
• Rhim, H. C. and Buyukozturk, O. (2000), “Wideband
microwave imaging of concrete for
nondestructive testing,” ASCE
Journal of Structural Engineering,
Vol. 126, No. 12, pp. 1451-1457.
Selected Professional Activities:
• Director, professional summer course on Assessment of Existing Structures Using NDT
• ECSEL Design Education National Coalition, Task leader at MIT
• Coordinator, MIT-TUB (Technical University of Berlin) cooperative research program
• ACI Committee 446 Fracture of Concrete (contributing member of subcommittees on fracture mechanics, design, and finite element analysis of fracture)
• Cooperative research and educational activities with National University of Singapore, Singapore, University of Edinburgh, Scotland, University of Braunschweig, Germany, Bogazici University, Turkey, Technical University of Berlin,Germany, German Material Testing Laboratory(BAM), Berlin, Germany, Swiss Federal Materials Testing Laboratory(EMPA), Zurich, Switzerland
Membership to Professional Organizations:
• Fellow, American Concrete Institute (ACI)
• Member, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
• Member, Society of Experimental Mechanics (SEM)
• Member, American Ceramic Society (ACS)
• Member, International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering (IABSE)
• Member, International Union of Research and Testing Laboratories for Materials and Structures (RILEM)
Professional Committee Activities :
• ACI Committee 447 on Finite Element Analysis of Concrete Structures
RILEM TC-ETC (International Union of Research and Testing Laboratories for Materials and Structures) International Committee on the Engineering of the Interfacial Transition Zone in Cementitious Composites
• US-Japan Scientific Committee of ACI-ASCE on Finite Element Analysis of Concrete Systems
• ACI (American Concrete Institute), Committee 446 on Fracture
• ACI Committee 126 on Material Data Development
• SEM (Society of Experimental Mechanics), Committee on Fracture
• RILEM TC 148 International Committee on Strain Softening
• RILEM TC-69 International Committee on Creep and Shrinkage
• RILEM-QFS International Committee on Size effect and Scaling of Quasibrittle Fracture
• TRB (Transportation Research Board) Committee A3C14 on Bond
• RILEM International Committee on Nondestructive Testing
Editorial Board membership:
• Journal of Construction and Building Materials
• ARI, Interdiscplinary Journal of Physical and Engineering Sciences
• Journal of Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering
• International Journal on Subsurface Sensors and Applications
Honors and Awards:
• Golden Mirko Ros Medal from EMPA Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology, for “Most valuable and sustained contribution to materials science and engineering in the domain of civil engineering and also for his outstanding research support to EMPA over the past two decades”, received in May 2011.
• 2011 American Society of Nondestructive Testing (ASNT) Faculty Fellowship Award. Received at the ASNT Fall Conference in Palm Springs, California, 24-28 October, 2011.
• Fellow (non-resident) Royal Society of Edinburgh, Scotland's, National Academy Scienece and Letters (induction on May 11, 2009).
• ASNT (American Society of Nondestructive Testing) 2008 Fellowship Award
• Listed in Who's Who in Engineering Education (WWEE)
• Fellow, American Concrete Institute (ACI)
• Best Basic Research Award by ASCE, 2006
• Best Paper Prize of Society of Experimental Mechanics, 1994
• ACI Research and Education Award, 1993
• AREA (American Railway Engineering Association), National Award, 1992
• Patent US 13/069,996 finalized with United States Patent and Trademark Office on April 8, 2011 (confirmation no. 1162) for “System and method for detecting damage, defect, and reinforcement in fiber-reinforced polymer bonded concrete systems using far-field radar”, O. Buyukozturk et al.