The Constitution of the MIT Student Juggling Club
Article I : Purpose
The purpose of the MIT Student Juggling Club is to foster and share an enthusiasm for juggling and the circus arts among students and other members of the MIT community.
Article II : Membership
- Any member of the MIT community is eligible to become a member of this organization. One is considered a member of this organization in any given academic term if she has attended at least one club activity and one meeting in the preceding or current term.
- The membership of this organization will at all times contain at least 5 MIT students and be more than half MIT students.
- This organization will not discriminate based on any characteristic listed in MIT's Nondiscrimination Statement.
- If this organization charges any monetary dues, there will be exceptions made for students that cannot afford these dues.
Article III : Officers
- This organization will have at least three officers:
- The president shall be the official representative of the group to any other organization and to MIT.
- The president will preside over all meetings.
- The president is responsible for determining when meetings are and publicizing this to the group.
- Vice President
- The Vice President will support and aid the President with any of his/her duties.
- The Vice President shall assume the role of the President in the president's absence.
- The treasurer shall be responsible for the finances of the group.
- The treasurer is required to sign all checks/vouchers of the group.
- Other Offices
- Other offices may be created at the discretion of the board such as web site manager, publicity chair, convention chair etc.
- The President, Vice President and the Treasurer of this organization must be distinct persons and MIT students. Other offices may be held simultaneously by a person with any other office.
- Elections of officers shall occur not before the first of April and not after the first of May each year.
- Any member of this organization is eligible to run for office.
- Quorum for elections is two-thirds of the regularly attending members.
- Any member is elected if he or she wins a majority of the voting members.
- If more than two people are running and no one wins a majority, then the person with the fewest votes is dropped from the ballot and votes are recast.
- The term of office runs from May first till until May first the following year.
- Removal : Officers may be removed by a two-thirds vote of the members.
Article IV : Meetings
- Meetings shall be held at least every month but preferably weekly.
- Meetings shall be presided over by the president, unless s/he is absent, and in that case the Vice President shall preside.
- In the absence of both the President and the Vice President the Treasurer shall preside.
- All decisions shall be made by a majority vote of all members present.
- Quorum for a meeting shall be one quarter of the members of the organtization.
Article V : Amendments
- Amendments shall be presented by any member of the organization.
- Amendments shall be passed by a two-thirds vote of the members present.
- Quorum for amending this constitution shall be one third of all members of the organization.
Article VI : ASA God Clause
The MIT Student Juggling Club agrees to abide by the rules and regulations of the Association of Student Activities, and its executive board. This constitution, amendments to it, and the by-laws of this organization shall be subject to review by the ASA Executive Board to insure that they are in accordance with the aforementioned rules and regulations.