Professional Experience (Outside of MIT)
- Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zuerich
- Visting Professor, September 1993 - June 1994
(While on Sabbatical Leave from MIT).
- Satcon Technology Corporation
- Director since June, 1992
- Vice President and General Manager, Technology Center, (1998-2000)
(on leave from MIT) General management of the principal technology
resource of the corporation, including approximately 60
professionals. Management of externally funded research projects
including Small Business Innovative Research grants, internal and
external design and development projects.
- Vice President and Chief Scientist (2000 - 2004) Individual projects
and advice to corporate management (part time as consistent with MIT
- Consultant since 1985. Participated in the design of the
generators, energy storage machines and drive motor for the
Patriot race car. Preliminary and detailed electromagnetic design for
Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System (EMALS) Preliminary
electromagnetic design for a number of other projects.
- General Electric Company
- Large Steam-Turbine Generator Department,
Schenectady, New York, September, 1974 through September, 1975.
(While on Leave of Absence from MIT). Analysis for design purposes of
very large generator rotors, including excitation requirements,
unbalanced current capability and torsional vibrations. Some
assistance with trouble-shooting, including field testing of
- Raytheon Corporation
- Research Division (Waltham, MA) and Machlett
Laboratories (Stamford CT). September, 1965 through August 1971,
several periods of time interspersed with academic work at MIT.
Internship student employee, Associate Research Scientist and Senior
Research Scientist. Analytical and experimental research related to
magnetron type microwave tubes.