Aikido is the modern Japanese martial art in which cheating is
As the size of your opponent approaches scary big, the effectiveness
of a hard block tends toward zero.
When you meet an irresistible force, don't try to be an immovable
Think outside the box and get out of the way.
We train to use the minimum effort necessary to avoid the attack and
get to a position of maximum advantage.
Then you look at your life. Look at your choices.
is part of the
Association of Student Activities
and is open to all
Practice is in
W32 (DuPont Athletic Center):
- Monday and Wednesday, 7-8:30pm, in the upstairs matted Squash Court
- Friday, 7:30-9pm, in the Wrestling Room
Some of our students come once a week; some come every time. Some
come for self-defense, some for exercise, and some for stress relief.
Beginners (to the club, to aikido, to martial arts, or to general
fitness) are welcome at any class.
If you are interested,
- sign a club-sports waiver ahead of time
- show up a few minutes early - to any class
- bring your MIT ID card
- wear something roomy or stretchy - maybe sweat pants
- email kokikai-officers with any questions, if you like
- if you're late, come on in, and someone will come over to say Hi
- Congratulations to our people who were promoted at Summer Camp in July 2017!
- 6th dan: Dave Comi (staff), head instructor
- 1st kyu: Rena Katz (alum)
- Congratulations to club alum who tested at East Coast Fall Camp in November 2016!
- 2nd dan: Marek Pycia (alum)
- Congratulations to our student who tested on Monday, 31 October 2016!
- 6th kyu: Taylor Sutton (undergrad)
- Congratulations to club alum who tested at Summer Camp in July 2016!
- 2nd kyu: Rena Katz (alum)
- Congratulations to the whole club - founded 20 years ago this month - June 2016!
- Congratulations to our student who tested on Monday, 18 May 2015!
- 6th kyu: Victoria Xia (undergrad)
- Congratulations to our student who tested at East Coast Fall Camp on Saturday, 8 November 2014!
- 2nd kyu: Joseph Sokol-Margolis (alum)
- Congratulations to our student who tested on Friday, 31 October 2014!
- 6th kyu: Mark Simon (grad)
- Congratulations to club alums promoted in August 2014!
- 4th dan: Jay Rifkin (alum)
- 5th dan: Brian Kantsiper (alum), club founder
- Congratulations to our students who tested on Monday, 28 April 2014!
- 6th kyu: Jaguar Kristeller (undergrad), Schuyler Gaillard (undergrad), Tal Roitberg (staff)
- 3rd kyu: Joseph Sokol-Margolis (alum)