The Constitution of The MIT Kokikai Aikido Club
Article I: Purpose
The purpose of The MIT Kokikai Aikido Club is to provide the members with instruction and practice in the Kokikai Aikido martial art.
Article II: Membership
- Any member of the MIT community is eligible to become a member of this organization. Anyone who has attended at least one class in the preceding or current academic term is considered a member during that term.
- The organization's membership will at all times consist of at least 5 MIT students.
- This organization will not discriminate based on any characteristic listed in MIT's Nondiscrimination Statement.
- An exception will be made for any student that cannot afford club dues.
Article III: Officers
- This organization will have two officers:
- The president will be the official representative of the group to any other organization and to MIT.
- The president will preside over all meetings.
- The president is responsible for determining when meetings are and publicizing this to the group.
- The treasurer shall be responsible for the finances of the group.
- The treasurer is required to sign (or approve, verbally or by email, another signatory's signing of) all checks/vouchers of the group.
- The officers of this organization must be two distinct persons and MIT students.
- Elections of officers shall occur in June of each year.
- Any member of this organization is eligible to run for office.
- Elections will be publicized by email to firstname.lastname@example.org at least one month in advance.
- Quorum for elections will be: both officers plus at least one other member of the organization.
- Anyone who cannot be present at the election may vote by email.
- Any member is elected if he or she wins a majority of the voting members.
- If more than two people are running and no one wins a majority, then the person with the fewest votes is dropped from the ballot and votes are recast.
- The term of office runs from July 1 until June 30.
- Removal: Officers may be removed by a two-thirds vote of the members.
Article IV: Meetings
- Meetings shall be held as needed.
- Meetings shall be presided over by the president, unless absent, and in that case the treasurer shall preside.
- All decisions shall be made by a majority vote of all members present.
- Quorum for a meeting will be: two of the members of the organization.
Article V: Amendments
- Amendments shall be presented by any member of the organization.
- Amendments shall be passed by a two-thirds vote of the members present.
- Quorum for amending this constitution will be: both officers plus at least one other member of the organization.
Article VI: ASA Governance Clause
The MIT Kokikai Aikido club agrees to abide by the rules and regulations of the Association of Student Activities, and its executive board. This constitution, amendments to it, and the by-laws of this organization shall be subject to review by the ASA Executive Board to insure that they are in accordance with the aforementioned rules and regulations.