Subject: Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #149
From: "Info-IBMPC Digest" <[email-masked]>
To: "Info-IBMPC Distribution":;@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 90 06:05:24 +0200

Info-IBMPC Digest           Wed, 19 Sep 90       Volume 90 : Issue 149 

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <[email-masked]>

Today's Topics:
                      Re: Answer to Writing TSR's
                            DTK 386 Bios Bug
                          Re: No com1 or other
                     Large Capacity Sort, responses
                             NumLock light

Today's Queries:
         Accessing SIMTEL20 Archives from non-ARPA/MILnet hosts
                    Data Transfer via Parallel Port
                       Hard Disk Write Protection
                           Interrupt conflict
                           Keyboard Problem.
                      looking for IQ test program
                     Mystery Asian floppy-I/O board
                     Printshop Graphic Conversions
                         Q&A Patches Available?
                 robust PC configuration tester wanted

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<[email-masked]>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<[email-masked]>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Sep 90 16:30:20 EDT
From: Curt Priest <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Answer to Writing TSR's

As many are aware, DOS is non reentrant code, so to write to the disk
and do other things that require DOS Int 21 functions is hard and
complicated.

The fundamentals are:  1)  check an indos flag on the timer tick and
don't take over unless 2)  the dos idle flag is set (meaning all DOS is
doing is waiting for a keyboard stroke.  There is more information on
these in the Microsoft DOS Encylopedia (about a $150 dollar book).

The best example of how to do TSR's is a shareware program by Thomas
Brandenborg that goes under the name TSRDEMO2.ZIP.  I have to say, that
it can be a long project even with the aid of Brandenborg's work.

As an alternative, you can buy the solution from South Mountain
Software called Resident C (1-800-451-6174, South Orange, NJ).  They
give you for about $150 everything you need to be able to write the
body of the TSR in C and make it work under DOS.  I have disassembled
their work and they have been very thorough in dealing with a maze of
concerns.

When everything is done right, it will work, as all of the background
TSR's that write to the disk demonstrate.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 90 11:21:51 -0400
From: David Kirschbaum <[email-masked]>
Subject: DTK 386 Bios Bug

Snarfed from my local FIDO's Technical Echo, FYI.
David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall

FROM:    Ivan Schaffel                 Area # 10 (    Technical     )
TO:      David Johnson                 MSG # 286, BUG-0-80 0:00am
SUBJECT: Re: No com1 or other

 > >I recently purchased a new m/b. It works OK except I
 > cannot find COM1.
 > >The new boards BIOS boots up and says DTK CORP '88
 > DTK
 > >/ERSO/BIOS    2.42 (C) 1986
 > >
 > >norten si says my bios is dated jan 1 1981   it also
 > says serial ports
 > >0 parelell ports 0.

 > Me thinks that you should replace your bios chip with
 > either phoenix or  award and your problems will
 > disappear.

Just to add to your comment. There is a big, fat BUG in DTK 386 bios
version 2.46. The sympton is Windows 3.0 will run intermittently and
occasionally lock up. To test try

From the DOS prompt.
Win /r <cr>
exit windows.
win <cr>
exit windows
win /3
exit windows.

9 out of 10 times Windows will either lock or won't load.  Switching to
Phoenix 1.1.x will fix the problem. Took me two days with DTK tech
support for them to acknowledge the problem.

--- VPurge [DOS] V4.06
 * Origin: Time to Iraq'n'Roll; Make Baghdad Bounce (1:141/390)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Sep 90 09:32:08 -0700
From: Ted Shapin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Large Capacity Sort, responses

Here are the responses to my query for a large capacity sort program:
Thanks to all who replied!

Ted.

>I am looking for a sort program that will handle the sorting of a file
>of 10,000 fixed length records of 600 bytes each.

- - - -
From:    David Kirschbaum <[email-masked]>

Assuming your hard disk has the capacity, I believe QSORT312.ZIP (in
SIMTEL20's PD:<MSDOS.TXTUTL> should do the trick.  It uses the disk for
temporary files, so there's a lot of "chugga chugga" .. but it
reportably handles multi-megabyte files!

David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
- - - -
From:    Keith Petersen <[email-masked]>

Ted, I believe Vernon Buerg's SORTF can handle that.  It's very fast,
too.

SIMTEL20 directory PD1:<MSDOS.TXTUTL>
Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
SORTF235.ARC  B   11919  900220  Vernon Buerg's fast text sort utility

- - - -

[I do have this program, and here are its limitations:]

SORTF Command           RESTRICTIONS                      Version 2.35  
-------------                                             Feb 15, 1990

    Depending on the amount of  memory available,  up to  40000 records
may be sorted.  The maximum file  size that  can be sorted depends  on
the  maximum number  of records  and the average record  length.  For
example,  the  file  size  is limited to 3.2 mb for a file consisting
of 80-byte records.                      ^^^^^^ 

- - - -

From:    Rick Huff <[email-masked]>

I have recently written a sort routine that will read a variable number
of records, break them into chunks, sort the chunks, store the chunks
on disk, and merge sort the chunks producing a sorted list of fixed
length records.  I use this primarily for developing reports for
database applications where the records are to be sorted in a different
order than they are stored in the database.

Since this is a fairly new set of routines, I do not believe it to be
free of bugs, although it works fine in all of my reports to date.
Also, the merge sort is rather clumsy and will do an n-way merge on n
chunks.  I understand that this performance can be improved by using a
selection tree, I just have not had time to implement this change.
This performance problem does not occur unless you have a large number
of chunks.

Anyway, I would be happy to share what I have if you are interested.

Rick Huff
Systems Analyst
Ranching Systems Group
N216BQ@TAMVM1

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 90 15:44:26 +0200
From: [email-masked]
Subject: NumLock light

Arjen,

The status of the lock keys on your keyboard are kept in BIOS data area
at address 40:17.

If you have an extended keyboard (with function keys on top) the
keyboard LEDs are controlled by the BIOS as well.  If my memory serves
me right, the LEDs should go off if you put 0 into the above address.
In any case, the effect of the keys will be reset to OFF.

I use the a tiny program called KBRESET in my AUTOEXEC to reset the num
lock key on my Philips P3302 (80386 with extended keyboard) which
starts up with num lock ON as default. You can create it as follows:
(This is a DEBUG script)

debug
a
mov ax,40
mov ds,ax
mov by [17],0
int 20

rcx
C
n kbreset.com
w
q

Use this script to create KBRESET.COM once. Then use KBRESET to switch
all lock keys off.

Note: if you are putting the script into a file, don't forget the final
Enter after the "q".

| This switches off all the lock keys. You can also switch keys ON:
| change the 0 after "mov by [17]," to:
|
| 10=Scroll lock on
| 20=Num lock on
| 40=Caps lock on
| You can combine values to get multiple toggles to switch to "on", e.g.
| 60 switches Num lock and Caps lock on and Scroll lock off.
|
| Use the OR instruction to switch keys on while leaving the values of other
| keys unchanged.
|
| You may experiment in debug using the command "E 40:17 value"...

Note: The FUNCTION of the lock keys go off. If you have an 'old'
keyboard (88 keys? anyway F-keys are on the left) with lights, you
could come into a situation that the lights are "out of sync" with the
actual status. Press the keys that belong to those lights that are on
(to put the lights off), then run KBRESET.

My Philips P3302 (80386 16Mhz) always switches on the Num lock toggle
after a cold or warm boot. I use the above program in my autoexec.bat
to switch it off automatically.

Jac Goudsmit ([email-masked])

'You must the vegetables from chop have' (dutch joke, sorry)

------------------------------
Subject: Today's Queries:
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 90 08:28 PDT
From: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Accessing SIMTEL20 Archives from non-ARPA/MILnet hosts

        I was reading how to access your archives from a
non-ARPA/MILnet host in the  Info-IBM Digest #187.  It seemed pretty
straight forward, but I was wondering if I could get some examples of
messages one might send to get directory listings and requesting files
in a binary form.

        Thanks,
                Luke Atkins

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Sep 90 16:00:38 MEZ
From: Rainer Kleinrensing <[email-masked]>
Subject: Data Transfer via Parallel Port / Micro Cornucopia Issue 48

I just succeeded in downloading the file <MSDOS.MICROCORN>ISSUE-48.ARC
from wuarchive.wustl.edu. Some time ago this file was mentioned in this
digest because it provides an example on how to transfer data in both
directions over the PCs parallel port. MY QUESTION: I don't have access
to Issue 48 of Micro Cornucopia and therefore do not know how to
connect the two ports, i.e. what the cable should look like. If anybody
out there has got a copy of this article, could you please send me a
short diagram so that I can put the cable together? Any help would be
appreciated, either to me directly or to the list.

  Thanks,
    Rainer Kleinrensing (UNM10B at DBNRHRZ1 in BITNET)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 90 09:22:03 EDT
From: Mark Edward Toomey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Hard Disk Write Protection

   Can anyone help with software, procedures, etc. to enable us to
selectively write protect hard disks on our lab PCs.  We have various
programs on the hard disk which require that students save to floppy
but invariably many PC-naive students will accidently save to the hard
disk. As we are on the edge of maximum storage capacity it requires
much staff-time to go through the drives & remove the unnecessary
files.

   ATTRIB would be too convoluted & the various Virus protection
schemes are designed for alteration prevention of files (EXE,
COM,etc.).  We also do not require password protection schemes such as
those used in commercial network environments as our machines are used
by many ppl & are kept on most of the day.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Mark Edward Toomey
Computer Services Specialist
College of Family & Consumer Sciences
University of Georgia

BITNET: MTOOMEY@UGA
Internet: [email-masked]
Voice: 404-542-4864 or 404-542-4651
FAX:   404-542-4862

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Sep 90 17:50:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: Steven Timm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Interrupt conflict

I have a Zenith Z-159 PC (8088-2 CPU) with a Zenith EGA card, and a
Silicon Valley SVC-21 Hard Card (disk).  Recently I installed a QMS
JetScript Board to drive my HP LaserJet II.

It prints fine, but all interactive PostScript functions are
unavailable since the installation program` informs me that the
interrupt vectors IRQ5 and IRQ7, either of which the board could use,
are unavailable.  Does anyone have an idea of which board might be
eating them up?  The manuals on the other boards are no help at all.

Steve Timm

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 90 11:40:29 BST
From: Paul Mather <[email-masked]>
Subject: Keyboard Problem.

I am having a problem with my PC, a Packard-Bell "Force I" machine. The
machine is 286 based and runs MS-DOS 3.3 and Phoenix BIOS version 3.10
015.  

The problem is connected with the status of the Caps and Number Lock
keys.  It is very intermittent, but always occurs while a key is
being pressed.  It seems to happen more frequently when typing rapidly,
especially using the cursor keys, but also happens when a single key is
pressed (e.g.  pressing ENTER after checking a command has been
correctly typed). The problem has occured with most if not all keys at
one time or another.

The only indication that something has happened is a short beep, very
like the keyboard buffer full beep. It might be worth noting that the
normal beep of the machine is more like a low pitch click than anything
else, although this can be changed by using the Norton BEEP utility,
and seems to change to a proper beep after this problem has occurred.

As to the actual nature of the problem, apart from the unexplained beep
itself, it varies. In most common order :- 1.  apart from the beep,
nothing happens 2. the last keystroke is lost 3. while the 'lock'
lights don't change, the keyboard goes into the reverse of it's
previous state (normal to Caps Lock or Caps Lock to normal) so causing
the LED lights to become out of synch with the true state of affairs.
4. in addition to (3) above, the function keys cease to work. Any
application program running which uses function keys simply beeps or
ignores their pressing.

The *really* weird thing is, the status of the keyboard, and the
correct working of the function keys can be restored by simply pressing
(on it's own) the LEFT SHIFT KEY. No other key helps like this, not
even the right shift.

The  problem has occurred when running a wide range of software,
including working at the DOS prompt. It does not seem to get any better
or worse depending on how long the machine is switched on for, so does
not seem to be an overheating problem.  I've tried changes to the
CONFIG.SYS file (e.g.  with and without ANSI) without any effect.

Any help or suggestions anyone could give would be much appreciated.

Dave Scott.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Sep 90 19:07:56 EDT
From: "Chuck R." <[email-masked]>
Subject: looking for IQ test program

Does anybody know of a public domain or shareware IBMPC program for
giving an IQ test? I saw one for a VIC-20 once. Or does anyone know of
a source for a test which could easily be translated into a program?

Chuck R.        bitnet: [email-masked]       Michigan, USA

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Sep 90 16:42:10 EDT
From: Curt Priest <[email-masked]>
Subject: Mystery Asian floppy-I/O board

I have an XT combination floppy and 2 serial port I/O board.  I would
really appreciate someone sending me information about the jumpers.
Let me describe it in hopes it looks like something one of you have.
It is a full length board and in the middle of the back trace it says
YU-2006.  On the outside panel it has one DB-25 and one DB-15.  It has
two serial ports using two WD8250's and the outputs are double pins,
J22 and J23.  It has a clock and battery using the standard MM58167,
and the floppy control part is at the end opposite the outside panel
and the connection is a double set of pins (1-34) labeled DISK.  Near
the middle it has seven different sets of jumper headers.

Since this is perhaps hard to relay by E-mail, perhaps someone could
contact me directly and I will give you a mail address so you could
just copy the relevant description.  Appreciate any assistance.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 90 16:08:46 EDT
From: "Scott A. Begin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Printshop Graphic Conversions

   I have a Printshop (new version), and I would like to be able to
graphics from other programs to use with my Printshop.  I have the
program that came with it which converts old version graphics, borders,
and fonts to use with the new version, but I would like to be able to
import graphics, fonts, and borders from Printmaster, PFS First Choice
/ First Publisher, Wordperfect 5.x, and possibly from MacIntosh
MacPaint files.  It would not  have to convert to new graphics or even
the color graphics (I do not have the capabilities to display or print
in color).

    I have seen shareware catalogs which list graphic conversion
programs, but few tell me which formats they convert between.  I am
reluctant to pay $3-5 for the disk which contains the programs if they
will not do what I want.

    When I looked through a listing of SIMTEL programs, I did not see
anything that even looked close.  If anyone knowes of such a program,
in the SIMTEL archives, from other shareware sources, or even an
inexpensive commercial product (cost <$40), please E-Mail any
information to me directly.   I will post a summary to the list.

Thanks in advance,

      Scott A. Begin          E-Mail:      [email-masked]  (Network     )
   The Graveyard Madman                    CSV310                (CMU VAX 8530)
     Student Consultant       AT&T:        (517) 773-9424
     Ronan Comuter Lab        USnail:      1401 E. Bellows #E-1
Central Michigan University                Mt. Pleasant, MI  48858

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Sep 90 11:48:42 EST
From: [email-masked] (Daniel Bielik)
Subject: Q&A Patches Available?

Does anyone know of the existence of public domain programs, utilities,
upgrades, patches, hacks etc. for Q&A V3.0 that I can download from
Simtel?

Thank you,
Danny Bielik\
Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 90 09:38 MET
From: Derk Ederveen <[email-masked]>
Subject: robust PC configuration tester wanted

I want to know the configuration of my IBM-clone, which has been put
together from various parts.

Up to now, programs that test the configuration hang on my computer
(show314 for example). Does anyone know of a 'robust' configuration
tester/checker? Any pointers welcome; if possible, please e-mail
directly.

greetings / salutojn,
Derk Ederveen

Kath. Universiteit, Nijmegen  /  PTT Research, Leidschendam     -    -      NL
[email-masked]   -  -   [email-masked]   -  -   dnlts::ederveen

------------------------------

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #149
*********************************
-------