The MIT Bates Research and Engineering Center located in Middleton MA is seeking to hire a dynamic engineer to join the team. The complex electro mechanical systems required will present demanding challenges for an experienced engineer and require innovative and robust mechanical solutions. MIT Bates designs and builds equipment for use in physics research worldwide.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conceptualizes, conducts, coordinates, or makes significant contributions to large projects or multiple small projects in scope.
- Works with the Project Scientists, Professors and Engineering Management to translate scientific needs into engineering concepts and specifications, overseeing schedule and budget creation and reporting.
- Interacts with Lab-wide professional staff and develops internal and external collaborations. Typically prepares and presents proposals and communicates directly with collaborators.
- Provides critical technical direction for development and integration of project components.
- Designs and analyzes complex vacuum, cryogenic equipment and support and motion systems for physics experiments.
- Oversees design, construction, and installation of accelerator, detector, cryogenic and other engineering systems for national user facilities including BNL, Jlab, ORNL, and CERN.
- Will identify and work with Vendors to secure quotes and manage procurement cycle.
- Travel as needed to meetings, visit vendors and install equipment (Approximately 10%).
- Other duties as needed or required.
Reports to Associate Director and receives minimal supervision.
No direct supervision of personnel.
Minimum Required Education and Experience:
B.S. degree in Engineering. At least ten years' relevant experience working with air and fluid cooling systems, various detector technologies for physics research, magnets, ultra high vacuum equipment and similar complex mechanical systems.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills. Will be required to document design parameters and concepts, assembly and/or fabrication procedures, and any testing results.
- Demonstrated ability to master and quickly contribute to complex engineering projects while maintaining aggressive schedules.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a contributing team member.
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple stakeholder projects independently, from start to finish.
- Strong interpersonal skills over phone, email and in-person for relating effectively with faculty, students, program staff and collaborators, to build rapport with diverse stakeholder groups to accomplish goals.
- Demonstrated initiative, flexibility, and ability to listen carefully and communicate tactfully.
- Expert experience with 3D modeling tools and FEA/CFD for electromechanical, thermal and cryogenic systems.
- Knowledge of machine shop operations, thermal sciences and mechanical design is required.
- Hands on experience with fabrication, assembly, and testing of complex electro-mechanical systems.
- Ability to design equipment as well as oversee the fabrication of complex components and assemblies.
- Ability to write clear procedures, document test results, and present findings for critical review in team meetings.
The salary range for this position is $130-150K, based on experience.
Apply for Job #22263
MIT is an equal employment opportunity employer. We value diversity and strongly encourage applications from individuals from all identities and backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive equitable consideration for employment based on their experience and qualifications, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, ancestry, or national or ethnic origin. See MIT's full policy on nondiscrimination. Know your rights.
Employment is contingent upon the completion of a satisfactory background check.
MIT considers equivalent combinations of experience and education for certain jobs. All candidates who believe they possess equivalent experience and education are encouraged to apply.