home  contact us  site map

Visa Information Outline


To be admitted to the U.S. as an employee of MIT, a foreign national must apply for one of the following types of visas:

J-1 Exchange Visitor

H-1B Temporary worker in a specialty occupation

B-1 Visitor for Business

(A person may come to the U.S. for up to six weeks. The individual may not be paid a salary, but can receive a per diem, reimbursement for travel expenses, or an honorarium.)

*An MIT certificate is needed to access this form.


Visiting Student Procedures

The Laboratory will also support an application for Permanent Residence for individuals who qualify and will work closely with the MIT International Scholars Office on visa problems. For more information on visas, contact Elsye Luc 2-2556, 26-505.