The MacVicar Faculty Fellows
The MacVicar Faculty Fellows Program honors MIT's best teachers and mentors, who have made outstanding contributions to undergraduate education. Almost 90 MacVicar Faculty Fellows have been selected on the basis of merit through an annual nomination process beginning in 1992.
Fellows hail from all corners of MIT and represent a diverse range of academic disciplines. Together they form a small academy of scholars committed to exceptional instruction and innovation in education. As fellows, faculty members receive annual scholar's allowances for a term of 10 years to assist them in developing ways to enrich the undergraduate learning experience.
President Charles M. Vest announced the establishment of the program in his inaugural address on May 10, 1991: "Educational success at MIT depends, above all else, on the commitment and inventiveness of our faculty. Excellence in undergraduate teaching must be rewarded and encouraged. To this end, we are establishing an endowed program to recognize faculty members who have profoundly influenced our students through their sustained and significant contributions to teaching and curriculum development."
|MacVicar Fellows gather on MacVicar Day 2013 with Victoria MacVicar and Dean Daniel Hastings: (1st row) Victoria MacVicar, (2nd row) Rob Miller, Linda Griffith, Laura Schulz, Emma Teng, Daniel Hastings, (3nd row) Wit Busza, Kim Vandiver, Anne McCants, Larry Vale, (4th row) Alan Guth, Daniel Jackson, Jesus del Alamo, (5th row) Nancy Rose, Lowell Lindgren, Diana Henderson, George Verghese, Will Broadhead
Photo: Dominick Reuter
MacVicar Faculty Fellows in the news
- “3 Questions: Anette Hosoi on engineering and the Olympics” - MIT News Office
- “Jackson’s ‘Dark Machines’ exhibit on display at MIT Museum” - MIT News Office
- “Alan Guth wins $3 million Fundamental Physics Prize” - MIT News Office
- “Burton Conner welcomes new Housemasters
Anne and Bill McCants to serve the undergraduate residence.” - MIT News Office
- “Chris A. Kaiser selected as MIT provost” - MIT News Office
- “Del Alamo is awarded 2012 Intel Outstanding Researcher Award in Emerging Research Devices” - MIT News Office
- “Baker named Head of the Department of Biology” - MIT News Office
- “Abelson named SIGCSE award winner” - MIT News Office
- “Skolkovo Foundation and MIT to collaborate on developing the Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology” - MIT News Office
- “Bulović named director of the Microsystems Technology Laboratories” - MIT News Office
- “Schuh appointed head of the Department of Materials Science and Engineering” - MIT News Office
- “Fink named RLE director” - MIT News Office
- “EECS head Chandrakasan announces new leadership team" - MIT News Office
- “MechE’s Hosoi wins 2010 Bose Award" - MIT News Office
- “Ask a linguist: Q & A with David Pesetsky" - MIT News Office
- “Ian A. Waitz named dean of MIT's School of Engineering" - MIT News Office