Mershin Research Page
Andreas Mershin, PhD
mershin at mit dot edu
Andreas Mershin is a Research Scientist at the MIT Center for Bits and Atoms. He leads the Label Free research group ignoring boundaries between physics, biology and materials science. From inexpensive photosynthetic solar panels to quantum effects in molecular biology, and from cytoskeletal memory encoding and machine olfaction to bioenergy harvesting, his research and the technologies it has spawned are used by industry and government, exhibited at the Boston Museum of Science and Designer’s Open Exhibition and globally covered by media including CNN, BBC, NYT, Discovery Channel, Wired, New Scientist, Nature and Science.
He is the co-founder and Director of the international Molecular Frontiers Inquiry Prize (MFIP) a.k.a Kid Nobel open to anyone under 18 years old and awarded annually at the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences in Stockholm (home of the science Nobels) to the most intriguing scientific questions posed by children. Winners are determined by a jury selected from a panel of eminent scientists including thirteen Nobel laureates. The MFIP is the world’s first ever prize awarded for asking good questions.
He is a scuba dive master and a private pilot and sometimes teaches the “hard” physics class at MIT.
- Mershin, A.*, Matsumoto, K., Kaiser, L., Yu, D., Vaughn, M., Bruce, D., Graetzel, M., & Zhang, S. Self-assembled photosystem-I biophotovoltaics on nanostructured TiO2 and ZnO. Nature Scientific Reports, 2, doi:10.1038/srep00234 (Feb 2 2012)
- Franco, MI., Turin, L., Mershin, A., Skoulakis E.M.C., Reply to Hettinger: Olfaction is a physical and a chemical sense in Drosophila PNAS August 2, Vol. 108 no. 31 (2011)
- Franco, MI., Turin, L., Mershin, A., Skoulakis E.M.C., Molecular vibration sensing component in Drosophila melanogaster olfaction. PNAS March 1, vol. 108 no. 9 3797-3802 (2011)
- Love, C., Zhang, S., Mershin, A.* Source of Sustained Voltage Difference between the Xylem of a Potted Ficus benjamina Tree and Its Soil. PLoS ONE 3(8): e2963 (2008)
- H. Sanabria, J.H. Miller, A. Mershin, R.F. Luduena, A.A. Kolomenski, H.A. Schuessler & D.V. Nanopoulos Dielectric spectroscopy of ab-tubulin heterodimer BIOPHYSICAL JOURNAL 90:4644-4650 (2006)
- D. Toback, A. Mershin & I. Novikova Integrating web-based teaching tools into large university physics courses THE PHYSICS TEACHER, 43, 594-597 (2005)
- A. Mershin*, A.A. Kolomenski, H.A. Schuessler & D.V. Nanopoulos Tubulin dipole moment, dielectric constant and quantum properties: computer simulations, experimental results and suggestions , BIOSYSTEMS ,77:73-85 (2004)
- V. Lioubimov, A.A. Kolomenski, A. Mershin, D.V. Nanopoulos, & H.A. Schuessler The effect of varying electric potential on surface plasmon resonance sensing APPLIED OPTICS June 10, 43, No 17 (2004)
- A. Mershin, E. Pavlopoulos, O. Fitch, B.C. Braden, D.V. Nanopoulos & E.M.C. Skoulakis Learning and memory deficits upon TAU accumulation in Drosophila mushroom body neurons LEARNING & MEMORY May-June; 11(2):277-287 (2004)
- A. Mershin*, H.A. Schuessler, A.A. Kolomenski & D.V. Nanopoulos Surface plasmon resonance study of the actin-myosin sarcomere complex and tubulin dimer, J. MODERN OPTICS, 50 No. 15-17, 2381-2391 (2003)
- N.E. Mavromatos, A. Mershin* & D.V. Nanopoulos QED-Cavity model of microtubules implies dissipationless energy transfer and biological quantum teleportation INT. J. MODERN PHYSICS B, 16, No. 24 3623-3642 (2002)
- A. Mershin*, D.V. Nanopoulos & E.M.C. Skoulakis Quantum Brain? PROC. ACAD. ATHENS, 74 A (1999)
- Mershin A.*, & Nanopoulos D.V., Memory depends on the cytoskeleton but is it quantum? Chapter 7 of QUANTUM ASPECTS OF LIFE ed. Davies, P. Imperial College Press ISBN: 978-1-84816-253-2 (2008)
- Renugopalkrishnan, V., Kannan, A.M., Srinivasan S., Thavasi, V., Ramakrishna, S., Li, P., Mershin, A., Filipek, S., Kumar, A., Dutta, J., Jaya, A., Munukutta, L., Velumani, S. and Audette, G.F. Nanomaterials for Energy Conversion Applications pp 1-24 in NANOMATERIALS FOR ENERGY STORAGE APPLICATIONS; ed. Nalwa H.S., ISBN: 1-58883- 120-5 (2008)
- A. Mershin*, H. Sanabria, J.H. Miller, D. Nawarathna, E.M.C. Skoulakis, N.E. Mavromatos, A.A. Kolomenski, H.A. Schuessler, R.F. Luduena & D.V. Nanopoulos Towards experimental tests of quantum effects in cytoskeletal proteins THE EMERGING PHYSICS OF CONSCIOUSNESS Springer-Verlag Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, ISBN-13-9783540238904 Chapter 4: 95-170 (2006)