ReimbursementDoes MITOC owe you money? Please follow the following directions to get reimbursed. You must submit the physical copy of your receipt to the office.
- reimbursement requests must be accompanied by a receipt as a proof of payment
- if you lost the receipt, we also accept credit card statements (not prefered but doable), black other transactions
- try to use credit or debit card, avoid cash if you can
- they like it if your receipt/invoice has something like: VISA ************9023 on it somewhere (as it proves you paid for it)
- SAO doesn't let us pay for tax***, see below for details.
- reimbursements expire after 10 weeks from purchase or service. We cannot reimburse anything older than 10 weeks.
How to get reimbursed:SAO requires a physical and electronic copy of your receipt.
- Write on the top of every receipt: Your name, and short summary of what it was for.
- Grab Coversheet for all hardcopies of receipts. Fill out 2 lines (circled):
- Payee's name: (your name)
- Contact Information: (your email)
- Staple your receipts to the Coversheet, put in colorful "Reimbursement" envelope in upper safe
Electronic receipt (PDF):
- Hard copy receipts - scan them! There is a scanner in the office. Online order receipt - save pdf copy.
- Attach receipts to email:
To: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Subject: Reimbursement: [what money was for (ex. Camelot keyholder trip, circus gas, WFA)]
Body: Your name and mailing address
Instructions for scanner in MITOC
- Log on to guest on IBM laptop
- press blue button on scanner
- select "scan to folder"
- put in "Reimbursement" folder (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Reimbursement)
Sales tax is non-reimbursableso make sure not to pay it. Use the tax-exempt ID number for MIT: 04-2103594 If required, use the MA sales tax exempt form at : http://vpf.mit.edu/site/procurement/forms_and_templates "There is also a list of MIT Tax exempt number for other states, available on procurements website."
If you are buying something online and they do not have a tax exempt option in the purchase order, you will need to email the customer service department of the company you are buying from after your purchase and provide them with the tax exempt information. They will then credit your account with the sales tax amount. If they legally have to charge you sales tax (sometimes the case for out of state purchases, though not always: see the "procurements"website) then we can reimburse you for the sales tax. We cannot legally reimburse anyone for sales tax paid on purchases from companies operating in the state of Massachusetts. This is being strictly enforced by the SAO. This blows, I know.
If you have any questions or comments (other than just looking for someone to open the office), or are interested in becoming part of our volunteer desk staff, please contact the desk captain listed on the officer's page.