Community Service Work-Study

Finding a Job

Make sure you are eligible for Federal Work-Study before applying for work-study jobs!

Contact the Community Employment Administrator at or 617-253-8065 to find out or confirm your eligibility.

Step One: Find a job

There are several ways to find a job:

  1. Consider working for one of our Neighborhood Employers and serving the local community, often with other MIT students.
  2. Browse the MIT Student Job Board using "federal" as a search word to find other positions.
  3. Find a non-profit organization of your choice and contact the Community Employment Administrator to ensure that the position you have in mind meets the Federal guidelines for the program. Email
  4. More info on out-of-state Summer/IAP jobs here.

Step Two: Fill out an application

  1. Once you have received a job offer, contact the Community Employment Administrator,, to complete an application.
  2. When your application has been approved, you will need to complete some final paperwork. Even though you will be working off-campus, you will be hired and paid by MIT. If you've previously held an on-campus job, you have already completed some of these forms:
    • I-9 form: This is the form anyone starting a new job in the United States must fill out to prove his or her eligibility to work. This is required if you've never worked at MIT before. Complete and turn in this form to the Welcome Center, W20-021H. You can download the form here.
    • Tax forms: MIT's online federal and state tax withholding forms.
    • Direct deposit authorization form: You must sign up for direct deposit to your banking account. MIT does not cut paper paychecks.

You cannot begin working until all completed paperwork has been received and approved.

Step Three: Start working and get paid

Wait for the Community Employment Administrator's official hiring email before you can begin working, because you cannot be paid for hours you worked prior to this email!

Work-study jobs are unlike other MIT jobs in that you will not be recording your hours on Atlas. Your supervisor will submit a weekly time sheet with the hours you worked to by no later than 5 pm on Fridays. If you work on weekends, time sheets can be submitted by Monday at 10 am at the absolute latest. We cannot stretch these deadlines because the MIT electronic payroll system shuts down every Monday.

Through the work-study program, the Federal government pays 75% of your wage, while the employer is responsible for the remaining 25% (plus an employee-benefits charge for less-than-half-time students or summer undergraduate student workers). MIT pays students their full wage each week, and the agency reimburses MIT on a monthly basis. Your wages will be deposited in your bank account by 9 am on Fridays.

Here are some important things to remember when you are working:

  • You can work up to 20 hours per week during class periods and up to 40 during non-class periods, including all MIT positions (on-campus jobs, UROP, etc.)
  • If you are working more than five and a half hours per day, you are required by law to take an unpaid lunch break of at least half an hour. You or your supervisor must record the times you start and finish this break on your work-study time sheet.