The building was completed in 1863 as the private palace of Misa Anastasijević, who was known as "the Danube captain" and was the richest person in Serbia at the time. It was designed by Jan Nevole (b. Viska, near Malča in Czechoslovakia, 1812. d. Svobodne Hamri, Czechoslovakia, 1903) who left behind other architectural and engineering achievements in Belgrade and other places in Serbia. While it was still under construction, Captain Miša presented it to the people of Serbia, as the inscription on the main facade states, for educational and cultural purposes. At that time, it was the largest and most beautiful palace in the country. Its architecture shows the influence of various styles, cultures and epochs, with elements of romanticism and the Renaissance predominating. As the donor wished, nearly all the significant educational and cultural institutions in the Principality of Serbia were at one time housed here.
Today it houses the office of the Rector of Belgrade Univetsity.
IŠA ANASTASIJEVIĆ (b. Poreč 1803, d. Bucharest 1885), merchant and shipowner, and
one of the earliest and most prominent Serbian capitalists. He was given the title "Danube
captain" by Prince Miloš in 1838. He owned 74 ships, used for transporting salt and other
goods, and employed much of his wealth for charitable and educational purposes.
Albania Palace Building | The Bajrakli Mosque | Belgrade Palace Building | Belgrade Railway Station | Captain Miša's Building | Cvijeta Zuzorić Art Pavilion | Karađorđeva Street | Knez Mihailova Street | Princess Ljubica's Residence | Millenary Monunemt on Gardoš Hill | Price Miloš's Residence | The National Theatre | Nemanjina Street | Nikola Pašic Square | Republic Square | Skadarlija | Slavija Square | Student Square | The Trade Union Hall | Terazije Square | The '?' Cafe Restaurant | Article about the architecture and building in Belgrade