Built in 1884 on the site of the drained Venetian Lagoon to the design of the Viennese architect von Schlicht and the plans of architect Dragutin Milutinović (1840-1900), who was a professor at the Technical Faculty of the Belgrade Velika škola. This building was in its time a very successful piece of architecture with regard to both the harmony of its design (in the spirit of classicism) and the organization of interior space. It belongs to that group of buildings which first embodied and developed the technical achievements in European architecture at that time. Today, however, it is not capable of meeting the complex railway transport requirenients of a city of a million-plus inhabitants. A new passenger station has therefore been built at Prokop.
Albania Palace Building | The Bajrakli Mosque | Belgrade Palace Building | Belgrade Railway Station | Captain Miša's Building | Cvijeta Zuzorić Art Pavilion | Karađorđeva Street | Knez Mihailova Street | Princess Ljubica's Residence | Millenary Monunemt on Gardoš Hill | Price Miloš's Residence | The National Theatre | Nemanjina Street | Nikola Pašic Square | Republic Square | Skadarlija | Slavija Square | Student Square | The Trade Union Hall | Terazije Square | The '?' Cafe Restaurant | Article about the architecture and building in Belgrade