Situated between Terazije, Revolution Boulevard and Moše Pijade Street, this is the youngest Belgrade square. It was built in 1953, and its large fountain was laid out at the same time. In the first half of the 19th century, this area was an empty field bisected by the road to Constantinople which was at this point in the process of developing into a street. The first name of this street was Golden Cannon Lane, after a restaurant of the same name, and this was subsequently changed to Markova Street. Not far from the site of the present Yugoslav Assembly stood the largest of the Turkish mosques in old Belgrade, the Batal Mosque. It was pulled down in 1869. After the First World War, the buildings in this area were mainly single and double-storey ones. One of these housed the Belgrade district court (better known as the "Peasants Court"), the location later of a notorious Gestapo prison during the German occupation. The architectural development of the square mmenced after liberation in 1944, when old buildings were demolished, the tram terminus was moved, and the railings in front of the former palace gardens (now Pioneer Park) and the Yugoslav Assembly were removed. Several new buildings were erected including the Trade Union Hall, a city admnistration office block, bank, etc. The square was later improved several times, and gained its present appearance in the 1980s when trees were planted, the fountain and pool were upgraded, the car park was removed and an open-air cafe and resturant area were laud out.
Albania Palace Building | The Bajrakli Mosque | Belgrade Palace Building | Belgrade Railway Station | Captain Miša's Building | Cvijeta Zuzorić Art Pavilion | Karađorđeva Street | Knez Mihailova Street | Princess Ljubica's Residence | Millenary Monunemt on Gardoš Hill | Price Miloš's Residence | The National Theatre | Nemanjina Street | Nikola Pašic Square | Republic Square | Skadarlija | Slavija Square | Student Square | The Trade Union Hall | Terazije Square | The '?' Cafe Restaurant | Article about the architecture and building in Belgrade