The List of the Orthodox Shrines
in Kosovo and Metohija - Part II
 
A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | LJ | M | N | O | P | R | S | T | U | V | Z |

N

NABRDJE (Pec): ancient ruins of a church ttnd an old graveyard.
NAGLAVCI (Klina): remains of an old church, dedicated, according to tradition, to St Arsenije of Serbia, formerly existed in the old village graveyard.
NAKLO, in the Middle Ages Nakla Vas (Pec): new church. erected in 1985, upon the remains of an old church (of St John the Baptist ?) in the old graveyard.
NASEC (Prizren): 1. remains of the summer residence ("Ribnik") of the Serbian emperors Dusan and Uros, uncovered on the hill above the Drim river on the site of today's motel, 2. remains of an old church situated in the village, flooded by an artificial lake.
NEBREGOSTE (in the Middle Ages Nebregosta, Prizren) ruins of the church of St Elijah.
NEC (formerly Netic, Djakovica): foundations of a Serbian church erected in 1920; in 1941, it was demolished the Albanians, who also set the village ablaze.
NECAVCE, NECAVCE (Kacanik): remains of an old church.
NEGROVAC (Glogovac): mention of a village priest in the 15C and the microtoponym "Crkva" (Church) testify to the existence of a church.
NEKODIM, NIKODIM (Urosevac): residence of the Serbian Archbishop Nikodim (1317-1324) and a church were situated in the village; the localiry called "Stare Crkva" (Old Church) and the church of St Elijah, restored in 1975, exist today
NEPOLJE (in the Middle Ages Dnepolje, Pec): old graveyard on the site called Camov Do.
NEVOLJANE (Vucitnn): remains of an old church on the si te called Crkviste (Ruins of a Church), and an old graveyard.
NIKA (Kacanik): remains of an old church on the site called Kamenica.
NOSALJE (Gnjilane): ruins of the church of the Holy Sa viour on the Glavica hill and the locality called "Crkviste" (Ruins of a Church).
NOVA SUMADIJA (Prizren): remains of the cemetery of the expelled Serbs.
NOVI MIRAS (Urosevac): traces of a church on the site called Crkveni Laz (Church Lane) (a village priest mentioned in the 15C).
NOVO BRDO (Pristina): 1. ruins of the cathedral church erected in the second half of the 14C, with the fragments of frescoes and stonework featuring Serbian inscriptions (converted into a mosque in 1466); 2. remains of a modest-sized and somewhat older town church next to which a large place of worship was constructed; 3. remains of the medieval Jovca church, in Jovan s mahala; 4. two churches, the so-called Cifte Kilise (Paired Churches) - St Mark's churches by the old road to the fortress; one of the two old town cemeteries lies next to them; 6. church of St Stephen, situated in the vicinity of St Mark's church; 7. church of the Virgin (subsequently called "Pod Javorom" (benearh Mt Javor) located north-east to the fortress; demolished by the Turks on their seizure of Novo Brdo.
NOVO SELO (Kriva Reka near Novo Brdo): remains of an old church and an old cemetery near the village, on the site called Crkva (Church).
NOVO SELO (Pec): in the 15C, two villages bearing this name were mentioned to have existed in the vicinity of Pec, one of them had a church. Present day Novo Selo had a graveyard at the beginning of the 20C.
NOVO SELO (in the Middle Ages Selce Pristina): remains of the church of the Holy Archangels and an old graveyard became flooded when an aritficial lake was constructed on the Gracanka river in 1965.

O


OBILIC (formerly Globoderica, Pristina): old graveyard and a more recent church building in the graveyard.
OBJEDNIK (Dragas): the site in the zupa of Gora where the remains of a church and a graveyard are located.
OBRANCA, OBRANDZA (Podujevo): locality "Kod Crkve" (By the Church), in the hamlet of Durici.
OBRINJE (Glogovac): a church existed in the 15C according to tradition, it occupied the site of the present-day mosque.
ODANOVCE (Kriva Reka near Novo Brdo): a church formerly situated next to the presen-day Serbian graveyard.
ODEVCE (Kriva Reka near Novo Brdo): 1. ruins of the church of Sr Paraskeve in the present-day cemetery; 2. old gra veyard on the site called Dublje.
OGOSTE (in the Middle Ages Holgosta Kriva Reka near Novo Brdo): in the 14th century, mention is made of the church of the Virgin (located in the old cemetery in the hamlet of Bobovnik).
OKLANCE (in Kolasin upon the Ibar): 1. remains of an old church and a century-old graveyard in the hamlet of Tmjane; 2. remains of the foundations of a church in the hamlet of Crkvine (ruins of a church), on the site called Orah.
OKRASTICA (Vucitm): a church formerly exisred; irs priest was mentioned in a census from the 15C.
OPRASKE, OPRASKA (Istok): remains of the church of St Jeremiah (whose priest was mentioned in the 15C) and an old graveyard.
OPTERUSA (Orahovac): 1. ruins of the church of St George fmm the 16/17C with the remains of frescoes on the hill in the old graveyard; 2. church erected in 1925 over the remains of the church of the Holy Saviour, south of the village; 3. church of St Nicholas, restored in 1934, upon old foundations.
ORAHOVAC: 1. church of the Dormition of the Virgin, reconstructed on its old foundations in 1859 2. dormitory of the Monastery of the Patriarchate of Pec, erected in 1848 in the spirit of traditional architecture; 3. clock-tower erected in 1815 by Mahmud-Pasha Rotulovic and fumished with a bell fmm the plundered churches in Smederevo; 4. until recentdy, the remains of a church stood on the site called Dubljane.
ORAHOVO ORAOVO (in the Middle Ages Orjahovo, K. Mitrovica): locality called "Srpsko Groblje" (Serbian Graveyard).
ORAOVICA (Kriva Reka near Novo Brdo): old graveyard.
ORCUSA (in the Middle Ages Orcusa, Dragas): ruins of an old church formerly existed.
ORLANE (in the Middle Ages Orlani Podujevo): according to a testimony from the 16C, the so-called Izborna church was located in the vicinity of the village. Nowadays in the village (not far from the Brvenik fortress) there are the ruins of a church. The remains of another church (of St Constantine and Helena ?) stand on the hilltop where the present-day cemetery is situated; further to the east, an older Serbian necropolis has survived.
ORLATE formerly Orlat (Glogovac): Orlate monastery near the village, demolished in 1885 so that the village mosque would be constructed with its stone.
ORLOVIC (Pristina): on the Gazimestan hill (near the village) there are: 1. monument to the Serbian warriors fallen in the battle of Kosovo in 1389, erected in 1953 on the site of the former demolished in 1941, 2. turbeh with tombs of the Turkish warriors fallen in 1389.
ORNO BRDO, RUDNO BRDO (Istok): the site of an old graveyard is known.
OSEK HILJA (formerly Osak or Usak Djakovica): remains of a medieval church, outside the village, by the Jagoila river, where the old graveyard was also situated in the 19C.
OSOJANE (Istok): 1. "Ivanja Crkva" (the church of St John), mentioned in sources from 1314 and 1485 appears to have been situated on the hill in the Serbian garveyard; 2. Nikoljaca church (of St Nicholas) in the meadow on the hill 3. ruins of a former church, beneath the site called Zvecan.
OSTRACE (Leposavic): 1. ruins of the old Borjanica church, in the hamlet of Zigolj; 2. medieval graveyard on the Kula hill in Zigolj; 3. remains of medieval structures - of a town, according to tradition, and the ruins of the graveyard church on the site called Velika Livada 4. old graveyard on the site called Tuturica; 5. remains of a Turkish watch tower from the 19C, on the site called Merkez.
OSTROZUB (Malisevo): a written source from the 15C indicates that a church or a monastery may have existed here.
OSLJANE (Vucitrn): old cemetery situated on the site called Bojlija; in the 15C, the village must have had a church (a census from that time makes mention of a village priest).
OVCAREVO (Srbica): 19th century writers of travel accounts saw the ruins of three churches in the village, of which one certainly was the church of St Nicholas, mentioned in a notice from 1562.

P


PACAJ (Djakovica): a church erected after 1918 formerly existed. In 1941, the Albanians demolished it together with the entire village.
PADALISTE (Srbica): 1. foundations of an old church on the hill in the lower part of the village (50 years ago the church still had vaults), an old graveyard was next to it 2. remains of a small church, in the southern part of the village, on the site called Vakuf.
PALATNA (in the Middle Ages Polatna, Podujevo): remains of church foundations, encircled by an old graveyard.
PALIVODENICE (Kacanik): traces of a larger place of worship, probably a church, oriented in the west east direction.
PANCELO (Izmornik): abandoned old graveyard, further to the west of the present day village.
PANTINA (Vucitrn): ruins of an old church in the old and new graveyards, in Glavica also called Veriste.
PAPRACANE (Decane): a church existed in the 15C (mention made of its priest). Today, a graveyard is located in the village.
PAPRATNA, PAPRADINA (now Firaja, Urosevac): the 19C recorded the existence of a half-demolished church with frescoes and icons, surrounded by a large graveyard.
PARALOVO (Gnjilane): 1. ruins of a church in the Perinska mahala; 2. remains of the church in the Petkovska mahala.
PARTES (Gnjilane): ruined church of the Holy Saviour, on the hill of Glavicica above the village and the old graveyard called Svatovsko (the Wedding Guests').
PASINO SELO (Pec): neglected old graveyard called Srpsko Groblje (Serbian Graveyard).
PASTRIK (in the Middle Ages P'str'c, Prizren): the mountain on whose summit two cult tombs are situated - that of St Elijah (formerly with a church) and of St Panteleemon.
PEC 1. monastery of the Patriarchate of Pec; 2. unascertained monastery of St Nicholas "on Tabor" from the 14C, situated in the vicinity of the Patriarchate; 3. unascertained church of St Sava of Serbia in Lizica, erected and painted owing to the efforts of the Serbian Archbishops Nikodim (1317-1324) and Danilo II (1324-1337); 4. Marks cave-dwelling, a prehistoric residence and medieval hermitage, above the spring called Crne Vode; remains of a medieval church or a bell-tower are located above the cave 5. Ruzica church according to tradition formerly standing on the site of the present-day Bajrakli-mosque 6. Ivanovac church unascertained (St Nicholas in Ivanac), mentioned in the 14C and the 16C, located near the Patriarchate; 7. Ivanica chapel, recently demolished, in the mahala of Kapistnica 8. small church of St Paraskeve, constructed upon the remains of an older church, in Kargac park, 9. small church of St Gregory in the yard of the Institute of Agriculture, converted into a Muslim turbeh; 10. chapel of Sr Basil, near the sugar refinery, converted into a turbeh, 11. Defterdar-mosque constructed with the material of the old town church.called Djurdjevi Stupovi, on its former site 12. Kenavija, Cenavija a convent with a school for girls and a small church, stood in the town centre in the 19C; 13. town church of St John erected in 1982 in the centre (Pesak), instead of the dilapidated old church 14. Jerinka the hillock on the northern side of Pec, formerly occupied by an old graveyard (destroyed by the Turks) 15 another old graveyard, for the most part destroyed during the construction of new buildings in recent times; 16. church of the Virgin of the Passion, the Tenderness, stood on the site of the presentday Djul-Fatas mosque; 17. church of St Paraskeve, once situated on the site of the Red Mosque 18. rock-cut dwellings (Jerina's caves) in the rocks of Srednja Gora in the Rugovska gorge - a) the hermitage called Crne Makaze (Karamakaz) (Black Scissors), inhabited in prehistoric age; in the Middle Ages parritioned by walls and painted by frescoes; b) hermitages on the left bank of the Pecka Bistrica - a series of hermitages active from the 13C.
PECANE (Suva Reka): 1. remains of the church of the Presensation of the Virgin constructed and painted in 1451/52 (part of frescoes in the National Museum Belgrade); 2. rock cut dwelling above the church; 3. remains of a small church below the village, to the south.
PERANE (Podujevo): old graveyard with the remains of a church, and the remains of another church building, on the hill near the village.
PESTOVO (Vucitrn): remains of an old church in the village graveyard.
PETIGOVAC, PETKOVAC (a suburb of Gnjilane): a medieval church, undoubtedly dedicated to St Paraskeve, formerly existed.
PETKOVIC (Orahovac): in the 19C an old graveyard was recorded to have existed in the vicinity of the village.
PETRAKOVAC (Pec): hill with the remains of an uninvestigated place of worship.
PETRASICA (Lipljan): mention of a village priest in a census from the 15C and two microtoponyms testify that the village used to have a church.
PETROVCE (Izmornik): church of the recently expelled Serbs restored in the old graveyard.
PETROVO (in the Middle Ages Petrova Crkva Urosevac): old ruins of a church in the locality "Crkveno Mesto" (Church Site); the remains of an old fortress situated above the village.
PETRUSAN (Djakovica): remains of a church demolished by the Turks and an old graveyard.
PIDIC (Gnjilane): remains of the old f>


Transfer interrupted!

ove the village.
PIRANE (Prizren): ruins of the church of St Geogre, near the village.
PISTANE (Pec): foundations of the church of St Paraskeve, in the centre of the village, east of the old graveyard.
PLAJNIK (Dragas): remains of an old church, on the hill above the village. PLAKAONICA (Leposavic): 1. traces of medieval mining facilities and settlements in the village and in the hamlet of Staro Selo; 2. remains of the old, according to tradition "mining", church on the site called Crkvine (ruins of a church); 3. church erected in the graveyard on the hill of Dublje in 1926.
PLANEJA (in the Middle Ages Plano, Prizren): remains of the church of St Panteleimon mentioned in a document from 1355, above the confluence of the Bistrica river into the Drim.
PLANJANE (in the Middle Ages Planjami, Prizren): church of the Nativity of the Virgin erected in 1868, upon the foundations of the old church of the Holy Trinity (icons from the 17- 19C).
PLAVLJANE (Pec): old graveyard next to the Ljaovica mill.
PLEMETINA (Pristina): remains of an old church with an old graveyard and the new, small village church erected in 1971.
PLESINA (Urosevac): in the 15C the village had priests the ruins of rwo former churches have survived - in the Lower mahala and Popov Do (Priest's Valley).
PLOCICA (Malisevo): the site of an old graveyard is known in the village.
PLUZINE (Srbica): ruins of an old church called Crkva (Church) and the remains of the so-called Groblje (Graveyard) with Serbian crosses.
POCESCE (Pec): remains of an old church (of St Nicholas) on the right bank of the Pecka Bistnca (a village priest mentioned as early as the 15C).
PODGORCE (Vitina): remains of the old church of St Paraskeve and an old graveyard, on the hill above the village.
PODGRADJE (Gnjilane): 1. remains of a town-fortress, with the ruins of a church, above the village; 2. remains of the old settlement called Mecava which had a church in the Mecava mahala; 3. another two churches existed in the village; 4. remains of old structures in which materials from antiquity and late antiquity have been excavated, on the site called Goven.
PODUJEVO: a priest mentioned in the 15C; the church of St Elijah erected in 1930 (demolished in 1941-45, restored in 1971).
POGRADJE (Klina): the village had a priest as early as 1455. Today exist: 1. church of the Holy Anargyroi or the Lower church formerly dedicated to St Nicholas or St Demetrios (16C), with badly damaged frescoes (second half of the 16C); 2. ruins of the Upper church to the west above the village; the nartex built at a later date has 16th century frescoes; 3. ruins of the medieval fortress - Gradiste, in the south east part of the village; 4. remains of a medieval fortress, on the Jernjak hill.
POLUZA (Orahovac): old graveyard existed in the 19C.
POLUZJE (in the Middle Ages Podluzje, Glogovac): mention of a village priest in the 15C and folk tradition point to the existence of a church.
POLJANCE (Srbica): old and new graveyard of expelled Serbs.
POLJANE (Istok): two localities called Crkviste (ruins of a church) - in the area of Paljevo where the old graveyard is located, and on the Glavica hill, where several tombstones are situated. On one of these sites, the remains of the church of the Visitation of the Virgin still stood in the 19C.
POMAZATIN (Pristina): church of St Elijah, erected in 1937.
PONES (in the Middle Ages Ponisa, Gnjilane): 1. ruins of a church on the site called Letovac; 2. remains of a church in the present-day Orthodox cemetery; 3. old ruins of a fortress, above the village.
PONORAC (Malisevo): in the 14C, mention was made of "a church wood" and "Gradiste" (ruins of a former fortress) in the village.
PONOSEVAC (Djakovica): the newly-constructed church was demolished in 1941 by the Albanians, who burnt all Serbian houses in the village as well.
POPOVAC (Djakovica): old ruins of a church formerly existed.
POPOVCE (Leposavic): a village priest mentioned in the 15C; remains of an old place of worship on the site called Mramorak.
POPOVLJANE (Suva Reka): church of St Nicholas erected and painted in 1626; surrounded by an old graveyard.
POPOVO (Podujevo) old church of the displaced Serbs was situated on the site called Crkveni Tesnac (Church Gorge).
POSLISTE (in the Middle Ages Ploskistino, Prizren): the site of an old graveyard is known.
POTKOMNJE (Leposavic): old cemetery
POZAR (Decane): remains of a church and a small graveyard recorded in the 19C.
POZARANJE (Vitina): two demolished churches are recorded to have stood next to each other: the so-called White church, dedicated to St Paraskeve, and the Black church; at present, an old graveyard exists.
PRCEVO (Klina): 1. at the beginning of the 14C, "the ruins of the old church of St Peter" were situated within the village boundaries 2. the archaeological site of Boka, with the re mains of the so-called Glasnicka culture (Bronze and Iron Age) and Slavic culture (10-12C); 3. old graveyard stood in the locality called "Srpsko Groblje" (Serbian Cemetery).
PRIDVORICA (in Kolasin upon the Ibar): ruins of the medieval fortified settlement called Zubodolacki, above the village.
PRIDVORICA (Leposavic) 1. remains of the foundations of the church of the Holy Saviour in the Lower mahala 2. remains of a medieval mining settlement, on the site called Gradina. and an old cemetery.
PRESLO (Leposavic): old ruins of a church, in Borcansko Preslo.
PRIDVORICA (in Kolasin upon the Ibar): ruins of the medieval fortified settlement called Zubodolacki, above the village.
PRIDVORICA (Leposavic) 1. remains of the foundations of the church of the Holy Saviour, in the Lower mahala; 2. remains of a medieval mining settlement, on the site called Gradina.
PRILEP (in the Middle Ages Hrastovica Decane): until 1898, the remains of an old church were preserved (village priest mentioned as early as the 15C).
PRILEPNICA (Gnjilane): 1. ruins of an old church; 2. small medieval town of Prilepac, several villages; 3. Draganac monastery, above the town of Prilepac.
PRILUZJE (Vucitrn): church of St Kyriake, constructed in 1969 on the site called Sv Nedelja (St Kyriake), the traces of another two churches also exist.
PRISTINA: 1. church of the Holy Saviour in which the remains of the Serbian Prince Lazar were buried after his death in the battle of Kosovo; the Turks demolished it at a later date and erected a mosque on its site; 2. Turkish censuses from the 15C and the 16C recorded the existence of the monastery of "Bukovac" or "the Virgin"; 3. church of St Nicholas, erected on the foundations of the monastery of St Nicholas (mentioned in the 16C); 4. monastery of St George, mentioned in the 16C; a caravanserai was erected on its site; 5 old metropolitan building (mentioned in censuses from the 15C and the 16C) stood in the Christian mahala called Mitropolit (Metropolitan) with its stone the Pirinac mosque was constructed; 6. church of St Paraskeve stood on the site of today's Kopt-mosque; 7. church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross situated in the Panadjuriste mahala 8. data pointing to the existence of the churches of the Holy Archangels and St Kyriake have not been archaeologically confirmed 9. according to the Turkish census of 1544, there was the Hagia Sophia mahala, so that in the Middle Ages Pristina probably had the church of St Sophia 10. monuments to Serbian and French soldiers fallen in World War 1, situated in the town (Serbian) cemetery,
PRIZREN (occasionaly the Serbian capital in the Middle Ages): 1. church of the Virgin Ljeviska; 2. monastery of the Holy Archangels; 3. church of the Holy Saviour, erected and frescoed in the 3rd or 4th decade of the 14C (with the remains of wall paintings); 4. church of St Demetrios (mentioned in the 13C and the 14C), demolished in the 19C so that the Catholic church of the Virgin would be erected on its site 5. church of St Nicholas - Korac's, from the 14C, converted into a mosque at a later date; 6. cathedral church of St George, erected in 1887, with an icon of the Virgin from the 14C and an 18th-century iconostasis 7 church of the Holy Anargyroi, built in the 19C on the foundations of an older church with several icons from the 18-19C 8. church of St Panteleemon in the Pantelija mahala, constructed in 1937 on the foundations of an older ecclesiastical sturcture; 9. foundations of the church of St Thomas beneath the Prizren fortress; 10. ruins of the church of St Prokopios, in the Pantelija mahala 11. church of St Anna stood on the presentday site of Mustapha-Pasha's mosque; 12. church of St Athanasios situated in the Prizren Fortress (Kaljaja); on its site Emin-Pasha Rotul erected a mosque and clock-tower in 1805 (the mosque was demolished by the Bulgarians); 13. remains of the Church of St Peter, on the left bank of the Bistrica river; 14. church of St Elias formerly situated on the right bank of the Bistrica, until 1915 a graveyard was also located there; 15. church of the Epiphany, upon whose foundations a mosque was erected in the Maras-mahala; 16. church of the Transfiguration, according to tradition part of the Emperor Dusan's court, on the present-day site of Mehmed-Pasha's mosque 17. church of St Nicholas, the so-called Town church (mentioned in the 14C) in the ancient Visegrad fortress, above the monastery of the Holy Archangels; 18. "Gospodjina Crkva" (church of the Virgin) mentioned in a charter of the Emperor Dusan in 1348; 19. monastery of St Barbara, in Prizren or its surroundings mentioned in the Turkish defter of 1526-59; 20. remains of a rock-cut church and monastery (15C) in the locality called Golem Kamen near Prizren; 21. church of St Nicholas Rajkov from the 14C, restored in 1857 (treasuring a 16th century icon); 22. church of St George Runovic from the 15C (the Royal doors from the 16C) in the yard of the Cathedral church; 23. hermitage of St Nicholas, the most significant in the series of hermitages in the Bistrica gorge, adjusted to the form of a church (remains of 14th-century frescoes); 24. church of St Helena stood on the site of the mosque erected by Mustapha-Pasha of Prizren 25. ruins of the building of the old Prizren Metropolitan with the Bishop's chapel south-east to the Virgin Ljeviska 26. church of St Blasios (mentioned in a charter of the Emperor Dusan of 1348) situated somewhere in Pnzren or its vicinity; 27. church of St Nicholas - Tutics, erected in 1331/32 and painted soon aftetwards, with the remains of frescoes; 28. foundations of the church of the Presentation of the Virgin. the endowment of the young Serbian King Marko from 1371 (the remains of frescoes from the 14C), discovered beneath a more recent church of St Kyriake 29. church of St Stephen (unascertained), probably erected by the Serbian King Milutin 30. monument to the Serbian warriors fallen in the wans 1912 and 1914 1918; 31. memorial chappel of Serbian soldiers fallen in the liberation of Prizren in 1912 and during World War I, 32. Studenac Kosovo, the memorial drinking fountain to the officers and soldiers of the 3rd Serhian army fallen in the battle for the liberation of Prizren in 1912.
PROPASTICA (Pristina): 1. foundations of a church near the present-day mosque; 2. ruins of an old church, south-west of the primary school building; 3. remains of a church and of foundations probably belonging to monastic structures (the so-called Milica's church) in the Church valley.
PRUGOVAC (in the milldlle Ages Prugovce, Pristina): at the beginning of the 20C the remains of a church were known to have existed (a village priest mentioned in the 15C).
PUSTENIK (Kacanik): ruins of a 14th-century church on the hill above the village.
PUSTINJA-LESKOVAC: an unascertained monastery on the Lab river (mentioned in the Turkish census of 1455).

R


RABOVCE (in the Middle Ages Robovci Lipljan): new village church erected in 1984 on the foundations of the medieval church of St Kyriake, in the Crkvena (Church) mahala.
RACA (Djakovica): remains of an old church still existed at the beginning of the 20C on the site called Racanska Crkva (Racanska Church).
RACAK (Urosevac): remains of the foundations of a church (of the Holy Anargyroi?) from the 14C, with the fragments of frescoes and stone ornaments.
RADAVAC (Pec): 14th and 15th-century documents make mention of the monastery of the Holy Saviour the church and subsidiary buildings whose remains stand above the present-day hydro-electric power plant probably belonged to it; a modest-sized church (on the site of today s sawmill) and an old graveyard also existed.
RADESA (Dragas): in the 14C, the churches of St Nicholas and St Elias were situated in the village surroundings the foundations of an old church have survived on the site called Zagrajce. The village also had two old graveyards - in the Lower mahala and in the Peterce mahala.
RADEVO (in the Middle Ages Radojevo, Lipljan): ruins of an old church and the medieval cemetery called "Civutsko Groblje" Jewish Cemetery).
RADISEVO (Srbica): a reference to a village priest in the 15C and folk tradition indicate that the village had a church; an old graveyard has survived.
RADIVOJCE (Vitina): censuses from the 15C and the 16C make mention of the monastery of the Holy Archangels the locality called "Crkviste" (ruins of a church) is situated next to the village.
RADONJIC (Djakovica): ruins of Radonja's tower and the church of St Paraskeve noted down by 19th century writers of travel accounts (according to tradition, the present day village mosque was erected with their stone remains).
RADOSEVAC (Pristina): at the beginning of the 20C, the ruins of an old church still existed.
RADULOVAC (in the Middle Ages Radilovc, Klina): traces of the old graveyard existed until recent times.
RAHOVICA (in the Middle Ages Horavica Urosevac): remains of an old church on the site called Crkviste (ruins of a church) (village priest mentioned as early as the 15C).
RAJANOVCE (in the Middle Ages Radanovce, Kriva Reka near Novo Brdo): traces of an older settlement on the site called Seliste and the ruins of the church of St George on the si te called Zli Do; an old graveyard.
RAKITNICA (Podujevo): church of St Archangel Michael (Lazar's church), erected in the 14 15C, restored in the 16C, with the remains of frescoes; formerly surrounded by an old graveyard.
RAKITNICA (Srbica): according to tradition, the site called Crkva (Church) was occupied by the church of St George and an old graveyard, called Serbian.
RAKOC (in the Middle Ages Rogat'c and Rakovac Djakovica): ruins of a church and a small graveyard recorded in the 19C.
RAKOS (Istok): an old church formerly existed (its traces have perished); an old graveyard is situated on the hill above the village.
RANILUG (Izmornik): 1. ruins of the church of the Holy Sa viour on the site called Reljan; 2. old graveyard, near the village.
RAPCA, RAPCE (Dragas): there were two churches once in Gornja Rapca on the site called Crkvine (ruins of a church) and the church of St Paraskeve, in the Marinac area (a mosque erected over its foundations) a charter of 1348 makes mention of the Mratinja church, south east of the village.
RASKOVO (Pristina): old graveyard with interesting tombstones.
RASTAVICA (in the Middle Ages Hrastovica, Decane): ruins of a church and a graveyard were recorded in the 19C. The church built at a more recent date was devastated by the Albanians in 1941, and razed to the ground not so long ago.
RASINCE (Urosevac): microtoponym "Crkva" (Church) points to the site formerly occupied by an old church.
RATIS (in the Middle Ages Ratisevci Decane): church of the Holy Trinity erected in 1935 on the foundations of an older church; devastated in 1941, and not long ago completely destroyed; formerly surrounded by a graveyard. In 1993 the church was rebuilt again.
RATKOVAC (Orahovac): a church formerly occupied the site called Crkvina (Ruins of a Church), next to the present day Albanian burial-ground on the Bridje hill.
RAUSIC (Pec): old graveyard (called Groblje Spasica, i.e. the Spasics' Graveyard) in the Upper mahala; tombstones demolished in 1941-44 by Albanian nationalists.
RECICA (Podujevo): remains of the church of St Peter, behind the village, towards Mt Kopaonik (village priest mentioned in the 15C).
RESNIK (Klina): old church (monastery ?) of the Virgin formerly existed (village priest mentioned in the 15C); an old graveyard was situated next to the church.
RESNIK (Vucitrn): 1. ruins of a former church on the site called Crkveni Kladenac (Church Well); 2. old graveyard on the site called Srpsko Groblje (Serbian Graveyard).
RESTELICA (Dragas): church (monastery?) of St Barbara stood in the old graveyard, on the site called Krstine
RETIMLJE (in the Middle Ages Retivlja, Orahovac): small church of the Presentation of the Virgin (a new mosque erected in its vicinity); an old graveyard on the hill north of the village.
REVUCE (in the Middle Ages Ravuce, Podujevo): an old church existed (village priest mentioned in a Turkish census from the 15C).
REZALA (in Kolasin upon the Ibar): remains of an old church and graveyard (its stone and tombstones used for the construction of the Cooperative hall).
REZALO (Srbica): in the village in which 27 Serbian households and a village priests were mentioned in the 15C, only the toponym "Srpsko Groblje" (Serbian Graveyard) recalls today the former presence of the expelled Serbs
REZANCE (Kacanik): 1. church of St George, situated in the Rogac-mahala, on the site called Crkva (Church), 2. church in the south-east part of the visage.
RIBNIK (Vitina): 15th-century census makes mention of a village priest; an old cemetery exists today
ROBOVAC (Kriva Reka near Novo Brdo): ruins of a church on the site near Golem Kamen; next to the church was the graveyard desecrated and abandoned long ago.
RODELJ (Leposavic): small church and a very old cemetery.
ROGACICA (in the Middle Ages Rogacic, Kriva Reka near Novo Brdo): an older and new cemetery formerly existed (de vastated in 1985).
ROGOVO (Djakovica): elements of a Christian temple incorporated into the so-called "oldest house" according to one opinion, the Old Mosque in the village was constructed on the site and with the material of a Serbian church.
ROMAJA (Prizren): 1. old cemetery above the village on the site called Crkva (Church); 2. "Crkveno Groblje" ("Churchyard") where, according to Albanian legend, "a Serbian church has been buried", on the leh bank of the Dastica stream; 3. archaeological site of Romaja with cultural layers from the Neolithic period until the early Middle Ages.
ROMUNE (Pec): old and new graveyard
RUDNIK (Srbica): church of St George restored in the 16C with several frescoes dating from the time of reconstruction, next to it is an old cemetery the foundations of another church situated on the locality called Crkvine (Ruins of a Church).
RUGOVO, see ALAGINA RIJEKA and PEC
RUNJEVO (Kacanik): the site called Crkva (Church) (a village priest mentioned in the census of 1452)
RUSINOVCE (Lipljan): mention of a village priest in a 15th century census and a microtoponym testify to the existence of a church in the village.
RVATSKA (Leposavic): remains of an old church and old graveyard on the site called Ostrvica.
RZNIC (in the Middle Ages Rzinici, Decane): ruins of the church of SS Sergios and Bakchos were recorded to have existed in the 19C (the present day mosque has been constructed with its building material).

S


SAMODRAZA (in the Middle Ages Slamodreza, Suva Reka): foundations of the church of St Nicholas with a modest-sized graveyard were recorded in the 19C; according to tradition, the village also had three small churches.
SAMODREZA (Vucitrn): on the remains of the church of St John Prodromos (where, according to tradition, the Serbian army took Communion before the battle of Kosovo) a new church was constructed and painted in 1932; next to the church there was an old graveyard with large stone crosses.
SANOVAC (Orahovac): ruins of an old church and the site formerly occupied by an old graveyard
SEDLARE (Lipljan): reference to a village priest in a 15th century census and a microtoponym point to the existence of the church.
SELOGRAZDE (in the Middle Ages Crevograzde, Suva Reka): ruins of the old church of St Kyriake and an old graveyard.
SELJANCE (K. Mitrovica): an old graveyard and the site formerly occupied by the ruins of a church.
SEMANJA (Kacanik): remains of an old church (a village priest mentioned in the 15C) demolished in the 19C, and those of an old graveyard.
SEVCE (Urozevac): 1. church of St Nicholas with frescoes from 1861; 2. church of St Athanasios, built in 1921 on the foundations of an older religious building.
SICEVO (Klina): church of St Nicholas erected in the 15C restored and painted in the second half of the 16C; the re mains of an old cemetery are east of the church.
SIBOVAC (Pristina): 1. church of St Nicholas of Sibovac recorded in the 16C (a village priest mentioned as early as the 15C) was located on the site called St Nicholas (demolished in the 19C by Jasar-Pasha Dzanic who used its stone to build a mill in the Mjekicska gorge); 2. traces of a church in the hamlet of Bregovine.
SICEVO (Pristina): a church was formerly situated in the locality called Crkveni Do (Church Valley) (a village priest mentioned in 1455).
SIGA (Pec): church of St Demetrios, constructed in 1937 on the remains of an older religious building (demolished in 1941-45, restoted in 1977), surrounded by an old graveyard (tombstones used for the construction of the Co operative hall).
SILJEVICA (Podujevo): locality "Kod Crkve" (By the Church).
SINAJE (Istok) I ruins of the church called Kaludjerice (Nuns) below the hill of Celije (Cells) 2. remains of a church in the village; 3. foundations of a smaller church, in the Zuvica graveyard: 4. a church also existed in the old cemetery on the hill. According to folk tradition rwo of these churches were dedicated to St Nicholas, and the third to St John the Baptist
SKIVJANE (in the Middle Ages Ljivljani Djakovica): tradition has it that the village church (a village priest mentioned in the 15C) was located on the site of the present-day mosque.
SKOCNA (Vucitrn): 1. an old church was previously situated in the locality called "Crkveni Do" (Church Valley); 2. remains of a medieval fortress on the Skocna peak, above the village.
SKROVNA (Vucitrn): old church formerly stood on the site called Crkvena Livada (Church Meadow).
SKULANOVO (Lipljan): old church ruins (a village priest mentioned in the 15C) and an old graveyard.
SLAKOVCE (Vucitrn): ruins of the old church of St Stephen in the old graveyard.
SLAPUZANE (in the Middle Ages Zapl'zane Suva Reka): according to tradition, a church existed once; the present day mosque has been erected on its site.
SLATINA (Kacanik): ruins of a church (two village priests mentioned in 1455) and an old graveyard on the site called Crkva (Church).
SLATINA (Leposavic): 1. ruins of an old church next to the hamlet of Staro Selo (5taloga) 2. foundations of a church among the remains of an antique and medieval complex (cal led by the people "the monastery of SS Constantine and Helena" ), upstream of the Socanica, on the left bank of the Ibar.
SLATINA (Podujevo): 1. monastery of St Nicholas, unascertained (mentioned in the 15C) 2. church of St Peter (the pa rish church until 1878), stood on the site called Crkva (Church).
SLIVOVO (Urosevac): church dating from more recent times erected on the foundations of an older ecclesiastical structure (a priest mentioned as early as the 1 5C).
SLOVINJE (Lipljan): I ruins of the church of St John (the 14C and the 16C) the Albanians demolished it so as to construct the village mosque; 2. ruins of the church of St Nicholas (16C); the Albanians demolished it in order to sell its stone to the railway bridges construction company (1871-73)- 3. monastery of St George (14C) in the mountain above the village demolished in the 19C by Jasar Pasha Dzanic who used its material for the construction of bridges on the Sitnica river
SMAC (Djakovica): new Catholic church on the Glavica hillock built with the stone of the church ruins situated on the site called Kod Dva Bresta (By Two Elms).
SMAC (Prizren): old graveyard recorded in the 19C.
SMIRA (Vitina) 1. ruins of the church of the Holy Saviour (the Resurrection), erected in the 16C 2. ruins of the so-called Upper Church dedicated to St Symeon Myrrobletos, next to the spring of the Smirinska river 3. ruins of the so-called Macicka church, on the road to the village of Drenoglava. Stone slabs from some of these churches were built in the village mosque. At the beginning of the 20C, an old cemetery still stood next to the village.
SMOLUSA (Lipljan): ruins of an old church (a village priest mentioned in the 15C) and a desecrated graveyard of rhe expelled Serbs, near the village.
SMREKOVNICA (in the Middle Ages Smrekovica, Vucitrn): locality "Crkva" (Church).
SOCANICA (in the Middle Ages Selcanica, Leposavic): 1. church of the Beheading of St John the Baptist, erected in 1863 on the foundations of a medieval church, in the hamlet of Rakovac 2. remains of the church of St Paraskeve not far from the Zeratova meadow; 3. remains of the medieval church of the Presentation of the Virgin (the Virgin Amolyntos) opposite the Galic fortress; 4. medieval fortress of Galic, above the village; 5. remains of a Roman provincial centre (Municipium DD from the 2-4C AD).
SOJEVO (in the Middle Ages also Sivojevo Urosevac): ruins of an old church formerly existed (the Aibanians - immigrants found it in 1750).
SOPNIC, SOPINIC (Orahovac): ruins of the churches of St Helena (the Popovici mahala) and of the Holy Archangels.
SOPOT (Djakovica): a 14th century source makes mention of the "Gradislaljska church", in the vicinity of the village.
SOPOTNICA (Kacanik): until recently, the ruins of a former church and the site of an old graveyard existed (a 15th-century census makes mention of a priest and a monk).
SRBICA: cemetery and the monument to the Yugoslav fighters fallen in the battles in 1944-45.
SRBOVAC (K. Mitrovica): old cemetery.
SREDSKA (Prizren): 1. remains of the church of St Paraskeve (mentioned in a charter from 1348); 2 church of St George with 16th-century frescoes; 3. church of the Virgin (17C) with frescoes from 1646/47, 4. church of St Nicholas, erected and painted in 1875.
SRPSKI BABUS (in the Middle Ages Bobusa, Urosevac): old graveyard.
STAGOVO (Kacanik): abandoned church, recorded in the 19C.
STANISOR (Gnjilane): Stanisor church, on an elevation in the village the remains of the former village called Staro Selo situated in the plain near the village while an old church occupied the site called Crkviste (Ruins of the Church); next to the village is an old graveyard. Recently, a Byzantine vault has been uncovered in the village.
STARI KACANIK (Kacanik): remains of an old church (the Recka church) in the Rec mahala.
STARI TRG (K Mitrovica): remains of the large three-aisled basilica (of St Peter's) the so-called Latin or Saxon church erected in the 13C in the spirit of Gothic, painted at the end of the 13C and the first half of the 14C in the Byzantine manner
STARODVORANE, STARO DVORANE (Istok): large old cemetery, west of the village.
STARO RUJCE (Lipljan): remains of Byzantine walls and an old graveyard with the ruins of a former church.
STEPANICA (Klina): in the 14C, mention is made of the Stepanja church (unascertained) not far from the village.
STRANA (K. Mitrovica): microtoponym "Crkva" (Church).
STRAZA (Gnjilane): 1. ruins of the church of St Nicholas, on the site called Manastir (Monastery) 2. village church erected on the foundations of an older church structure; 3.20 medieval mining shafts on the Glama hill.
STRAZA (Kacanik): ruins of a church by the destroyed Orthodox graveyard, on the road to the village of Kotlina.
STRELICA (Kriva Reka near Novo Brdo): the village ptobably had a church (a census from the 15C refers to a priest); remains of an old village, on the site called Seliste.
STREOVCE STROVCE (in the Middle Ages Strelac Vucitrn): until recently, the remains of the church of St Nicholas occupied the site called Crkveni Do (Church Valley) (a church mentioned in a document from the start of the 15C).
STREZOVCE (Kriva Reka near Novo Brdo): ruins of an old church beneath the present-day cemetery (according to 15th century documents, a monastery may have existed in the village at that time)
STRUZIJE (Prizren): locality called "Grobiste" (remains of a graveyard) where an old cemetery was formerly situated.
STUDENICA (Istok): stone slabs and cut stones from the ruins of Studenica Hvostanska incorporated into the village mosque.
STUDENICANE (Suva Reka): locality "Srpsko Groblje" (Serbian Graveyard); according to tradition, a large church formerly existed (demolished in the 19C so that a mosque would be constructed on its site).
STUP (in the Middle Ages St'lpezi, Klina): remains of an old and new cemetery.
SURKIS (Podujevo): remains of an old church on the site called Crkviste (ruins of a church).
SUSICA (Istok): according to tradition the church of St George existed (a village priest mentioned in the census of 1485); demolished so that a mosque would be built with its material.
SUSICA (Pristina): church of St Demetrios in Susica (a villa ge priest mentioned as eaHy as the 15C), demolished at the beginning of the 19C by Jasar-Pasha Dzanic who used the material for the construction of several bridges on the Sitnica river.
SUVA REKA 1. ruins of a church on the site called Crkviste (remains of a church) next to the Serbian graveyard, still existed in 1880; 2. in the 19C, a hermitage surrounded by cells stood on the hill near Suha Reka; 3. new church erected in 1938 in the east part of the settlement, near the present-day cemetery.
SUVI LUKAVAC (Istok): 1. traces of a church (of St Luke ?) on the site called Crkvine (ruins of a church), 2. ruins of a former church in the old graveyard; 3. a church considered to have been sitaued near the so-called Smrdel spring 4. according to tradition, the church of the Holy Saviour once stood in the Spasance fields.
SUVO GRLO (Istok): 1. church of "the Virgin on the Suhogrlska land" (unascertained) mentioned in King Milutin's charters (1282-1320); 2. remains of rhe church of the Presentation of the Virgin (mentioned in 1596) perhaps identical with the former; 3. ruins of the church of St Nicholas; 4. remains of the church of the Holy Archangels and the foundations of two ecclesiastical structures on the site called Brda 5. foundations of the church by the site called Crkveni Kladenac (Church Well) (the Kamberovica mahala); 6. ruins of the church of St John on the site called Crkvine (ruins of a church), below the Cutek hill; 7. remains of "Kaludjenski Grad" (Monks' Town) on the elevation called Gradina above the village; 8. ruins of a former church on the estate of Seferaj Salija; 9. ruins of a former church in the barn of Hajzeraj Ramadan 10. remains of an old town in the Sipovik wood, above the village.
SUVO GRLO II or GORNJE SUVO GRLO (Srbica): remains of several churches or the surviving names of the sites of former churches -1. remains of the church of the Virgin; 2. the site of the former church of Epiphany; 3. the site of the former church "Kod Murike" (By the Mulberry Tree); 4. the site called Kaludjerska Gradina (Ruins of the Monks' Castle) with Kaludjerski Izvor (Monks' Spring); 5. Lupoglav with the remains of the church of the Holy Trinity and 6. Celije (Cells) with a spring and Celijski Krs above it.
SVETLJE (Podujevo): according to a 15th-century census, the monastery of St Menas was situated somewhere around the village, while the church was in the village itself.
SVINJARE (K. Mitrovica): church and the ruins of a church in the village; the ruins of another church situated on the site called Troja.
SVRCIN (Urosevac): in the 14C the courts of Serbian rulers were located here, together with the church of St John in which King Dusan was coronated in 1331 (the palace stood on the Sarajiste estate and the church on the Glavica hill on the site called Crkvine - i.e. ruins of a church); with the church's stone-remains, Jasar Pasha built the bridge on the Sitnica river
SVRKE (Pec): an old graveyard; the nuins called St Sava also existed.
SVRKE VOLUJACKE (Klina): remains of an old church (mentioned in a notice from the 17C) its stone was taken away and used for the construction of village houses. An old Serbian graveyard is situated next to the ruins.
SAIC (Kriva Reka near Novo Brdo): old graveyard of the former settlement occupied the site called Grobljanska Ravan (Graveyard Plain).
SAJKOVAC (Podujevo): a church formerly existed (a village priest mentioned as early as 1455), while nowadays there is only a graveyard.
SALCE (Vucitrn): locality "Crkvena Kosa" (Church Slope) in the hamlet of Ugljare indicates that the village used to have a church outside the village another church stood on the site called Salacka Crkva (Sadacka Church); the remains of an old Serbian graveyard in the village (on the site called Isenov Za bel).
SALJINOVICA (Istok): remains of a church (with the fragments of frescoes and a bell-tower in the old graveyard, on the right bank of the Kujavca river (tradition associates the church with St Arsenije of Serbia).
SAPELJ, SAPTEJ (Decane): locality "Srpsko Groblje" (Serbian Graveyard).
SARBAN (Pristina): ruins of an old church existed until 1878.
SASARE (Vitina): ruins of the Catholic church of St Rocco.
SASKOVAC (Pristina): remains of the medieval church of St Paraskeve and the Cells of Saskovac (frequent abode of Serbian patriarchs in the 17C), above the village, at the foot of Veletina.
SILOVO (Gnjilane): 1. ruins of the church of St Mark near the village; 2. foundations of an old, large edifice, in the locality called Slamniste
SIPOLJE (K. Mitrovica): old cemetery, repetedly desecrated in recent times
SLJIVOVICA, SLIVOVICA (Vucitrn): ruins of a former church and an old graveyard on the site called Jesice.
SPINADIJA (Prizren): remains of the church of the Virgin Amolyntos (probably from the 16C) near the village, several old tombstones are situated around the church.
STIMLJE (Urosevac): one of the courts of Stefan Decanski (1321-1331) was situated in the village; in 15th century, a village priest is referred to; the present-day church of the Holy Archangel Michael was erected in 1920-22 on the foundations of an older church in the graveyard in the east side of the settlement, the church of St Nicholas was constructed in 1926 on the foundations of the old graveyard church.
STITARICA (Vucitrn): in the village which as early as 1455 had a priest a church existed once (confirmed by the ruins of an old church).
STRPCE (Urosevac): 1. church of St Nicholas raised in the village and painted in 1576/77; 2. church of St John the Baptist erected in 1911 on the site of a former church, east of the visage; 3. old graveyard, in the village.
STUPELJ (Klina): foundations of the church of the Presentations of the Virgin (also called St Paraskeve), in the Serbian graveyard, on the site called Vakuf (as early as 1485, the village had a priest).
STUTICA (in the Middle Ages Stucanci, Glogovac): locality "Crkva" (Church), where a Serbian church used to stand.
SUMATI BOGOVAC: unascertained monastery in the nachye of Pec (mentioned in the Turkish census of 1485).
SUMNIK: unascertained monastery in the nachye of Pec (mentioned in Turkish censuses from the 15C and 16C).
SUMNJA LUKA SAMALUK (Podujevo): locality "Kod Crkve" (By the Church).

T

TALINOVAC, JERLI TALINOVAC (Urosevac): 1. according to traditon, a church stood on the site of the present-day mosque before the Albanians settled in 1840 (a village priest mentioned in the 15C and the 17C); 2. Paun's field (near the village), where the unascertained summer residence of Serbian rulers, called Pauni, was situated, as well as a chruch where the Archbishop sojourned. The church of St John The Baptist also existed in that area (mentioned last in 1788).
TAMNICA, MONASTERY, see AJNOVCE
TARADZA (Vucitan): 1. microtoponym "Crkveni Potok" (Church Stream) indicates that a church once stood in the village 2. settlement from late antiquity and the early Middle Ages with a medieval necropolis, on the Cecan hill.
TENEZ DO (in the Middle Ages Trndol, Pristina): an old church formerly existed (a 15th-century census makes mention of a village priest).
TICA (in the Middle Ages Tip'c or Tipcinja Luka, Srbica): microtoponym "Crkvena Glavica" (Church Peak).
TIRINCE (Kriva Reka near Novo Brdo): ruins of two churches in the village territory (one devoted to SS Constantine and Helena); in the 15C, mention is made of a village priest and a monk.
TOMANCE (Istok): 15th and 16th-century documents refer to the Tumenica monastery near the village; the village had a church on the site called Gumouraca (Gumuraca)
TOPLICANE (Lipljan): remains of a church by the Toplik spring (demolished in the 19C by Jasar-Pasha Dzanic so as to build bridges with its stone), and a very old graveyard called Svatovsko (Weddding Guests').
TOPONICA TOPOLNICA (Kriva Reka near Novo Brdo): old and new cemetery, desecrated and demolished in 1985.
TRBOVCE, TRBUVCE (Lipljan): remains of an old church ("the church of the Empress Milica), above the village.
TRBUHOVAC (in the Middle Ages Trbuhovci, Istok): until recently, the remains of the foundations of an old church still existed (according to tradition, demolished during Turkish rule).
TRDEVAC TRDEVCE (Glogovac): a church formerly existed (a village priest mentioned in a 15th century census), as well as the locality "Crkva" (Church).
TREPCA (K Mitrovica): two Catholic churches existed: the so-called Latin or Saxon church in Stari Trg (of St Peter ?) and the unascertained church of St Mary; also, there were three Orthodox churches - the so called Monks' church and two churches above the village of Maijc, on the site called Stara Trepca. In Stara Trepca the remains of an old mosque (the midd 15C) are situated as well.
TRIKOSE (in the Middle Ages Tarkosi, Leposavic): walls of an ancient structure (in popular opinion, the remains of a church) and an old graveyard.
TRLABUC. (Vucitrn): microtoponym "Popova Glavica" (Priest's Peak) points to the possible existence of a church.
TRNAVA (Podujevo): a church formerly existed (village priest mentioned as early as 1455)
TRNAVCE (Srbica): localities "Crkviste" (i.e. ruins of a church) and "Staro Groblje" (old graveyard) (a 15th-century census makes mention of two priests).
TRNAVICA, TRNOVICA (Podujevo): a church had existed until the Serbian population migrated in 1878.
TRNICEVCE (Pristina): remains of medieval mining shafts and two old graveyards.
TRNJE (Suva Reka): the locality whose name indicates that an old graveyard used to exist there.
TRPEZA (Vitina): 1. remains of the monastery of the Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel (mentioned in 17th-century notices) on the site called Gradiste with its stones the Turks built the bridge on the Morava river near Klokot in the 19C; 2. remains of the monastery of St George by the spring of the Svintula river; 3. ruins of the church of St Nicholas, in the village.
TRSTENA (K. Mitrovica): large cemetery occupied the site called Srbinov Grob (the Serb s Grave).
TRSTENA (Kriva Reka near Novo Brdo): a church formerly existed (suggested by the microtoponyms "Ajdukova Crkva" (Brigand's Church) and "Popovo Brdo" (Priest's Hill)).
TRSTENIK (Glogovac): remains of the monastery of the Ar changer Michael (mentioned in 1346 and 1365, subsequently in the 15C and the 16C) next to the walls, the old churchyard (called Srpsko Groblje i.e. Serbian Graveyard) occupies the site called Crkve (Churches).
TRSTENIK (Pec): a church existed (village priest mentioned in the 15C), probably in the old ganeyard.
TRSTENIK (Vitina): ruins of a church and the remains of a graveyard (a 15th-century census makes mention of rwo priests and "the Tnstenik monastery" with two monks).
TRUDNA (Pristina): a church existed (suggested by the reference to a village priest in a 15th-century census and several microtoponyms).
TUCEP (Istok): locality "Crkvine" (ruins of a church), next to the graveyard and the ruins of a former church in the fields above the village (a 15th-century census makes mention of two village priests).
TUDJEVCE (in the Middle Ages Todjozevci, Kriva Reka near Novo Brdo): locality called "Srpsko Groblje" (Serbian Graveyard).
TUPEC (Prizren): an important archaeological site, situated north of the village, was flooded in the construction of a dam in Albania.
TURICEVAC (in the Middle Ages Tudoricevci, Srbica): the site of an old graveyard is known in the village.
TURJAKE (Malisevo): ruins of a town or a monastery, on the Gradina hill.
TURUCICA (Podujevo): in the village which in the 15C had an archpriest and a priest, the remains of four churches are located: 1. ruins of a former church in Donji Lugovi in the Simkovac valley, with the traces of an old graveyard; 2. remains of a church (of the Resurrection ?) and subsidiary church buildings, on the estate that formerly belonged to Sava Aleksic; 3. ruins of a church in the Sinkovac valley, on the estate of Dusan Radojevic 4. "Crkviste na sedlu brega" ("church ruins on the ridge of the hill"), on the other bank of the Turucicka stream.
TUSICE (in Kolalin upon the Ibar): two old cemeteries (one on the site called Repiste, and the other on the site called Sta re Kobile)
TUSILJE (Srbica): in 1685/86, a reference is made to the monastery of the Holy Archangel Michael "called Tusimlja" nowadays, the remains of a medieval fortress or monastery occupy the site called Gradevac.
TVRDJAN (Leposavic): remains of an old structure (conside red to be the ruins of a church), on the hill by the Tvrdjanska river

U

UGLJARE (in the Middle Ages Uliare, Pristina): remains of an old church on the site called Crkviste (ruins of a church).
UJZ (Djakovica): old graveyard.
UKCA (in the Middle Ages Usce, Istok): a Turkish census from the 15C makes mention of a village priest and a monk; the traces of the old church have perished.
UROSEVAC: the church dating from 1901 formerly existed; it was abandoned after the construction of the new church of the Holy King Uros in 1933 (the new church treasures an interesting collection of 19th-century icons)

V

VAGANES (K. Kamenica): church of the Virgin from 1354/55, with frescoes from the 14C and the 16C; the remains of a graveyard from medieval and more recent times surround the church.
VALAC (K. Mitrovica): remains of a modest sized church building and a significant prehistoric settlement.
VARAGE (in Kolasin upon the Ibar): two ancient churches, restored at a recent time, and an old graveyard.
VAROS SELO (Urosevac): a small church and an old graveyard.
VELEKINCE (Gnjilane): the old, demolished Serbian church on the site called Vakaf.
VELETIN (Pristina): ruins of the medieval fortress of Veletin.
VELEZA (Prizren): remains of the old church of the Virgin Amolyntos with a graveyard (near the village); in the 14C, "the Berislavci church" was located in the vicinity peak of the same name, with the remains of a church.
VELIKA DOBRANJA (Lipljan): remains of an old church were situated in the hamlet of Lesnica.
VELIKA HOCA (in the Middle Ages Hotca, Orahovac): 1. church of St Nicholas, in the graveyard (probably from the second half of the 14C restored in the 16C) with the remains of frescoes from the 14C and the 16C; 2 church of St John, with 14th and 16th century frescoes; 3. church of St Stephen from the 14C (subseqently restored) with the frescoes painted in the 16C and the 19C; 4. church of St Kyriake, erected in the 19C on the foundations of an older church 5. church of St Paraskeve, constructed over the remains of an older church 6. church of St Anna, erected in the 20C on the foun cations of an older church; 7. ruins of the church of St Luke (recently reconstructed); 8. ruins of the church of the Holy Archangels from the 16C (the surviving iconostasis dating from 1601); 9. remains of the church of St Peter (16C) on the hill above the village 10. remains of the church of the Virgin Amolyntos; 11. foundations of the church of St Elijah at the entrance to the village; 12. tradition has it that there was a church in Dugi Rid- 13. a clock-tower formerly existed in the village (demolished after 1908).
VELIKA JABLANICA (Pec): 1. remains of a larger church or monastery above the village; 2. rock cut hermitage - the so-called Popova Pecina (Priest's cave), in the gorge above the village; 3. the vast site of a former town, above the village called Grad 4. tradition has it that the present day mosque was erected on the site of an old church.
VELIKA KRUSA (Orahovac): a graveyard in the northern part of the village.
VELIKA REKA (Vucitrn): remains of an old church in the wood above the village.
VELIKI ALAS (Lipljan): old graveyard.
VELIKI BELACEVAC (Pristina): a stone church from more recent times, demolished in 1941/45.
VELIKI DJURDJEVIK (Klina): in the village in which a priest was mentioned as early as 1485, today exist: 1. ruins of the church of St Basil, in the graveyard; 2. remains of a church, above the site called Kaludjenska Cesma (i.e Monks' drinking fountain).
VELIKI GODEN (Vitina): until recently the ruins of a church could be seen in the village; outside the village, there are the remains of another church and the monastery of St Nicholas, above which the ruins of old Gradiste stand.
VELIKI KICIC (K. Mitrovica): old graveyard; four microtoponyms point to the existence of several churches.
VELIKO KRUSEVO (Klina): remains of the church of the Presentation of the Virgin (recently reconstructed) with a tombstone from the 14C in the old graveyard.
VELIKO RIBARE (Lipljan): in the 16C, the monastery of the Holy Archangels was situated in the vicinity of the village, old church ruins and an old graveyard exist today.
VELIKO ROPOTOVO (Kriva Reka near Novo Brdo): a 16th-century source makes mention of the village church; the church of the Archangel Gabriel and the locality "Crkoviste" (ruins of a church) exist today
VELIKO RUDARE (in the Middle Ages Rudarije, K. Mitrovica): remains of a small church in the old graveyard.
VELJEGLAVA (Kriva Reka near Novo Brdo): the old village had a church.
VELJI BRIJEG (in Kolasin upon the Ibar): old graveyard with a small church; the remains of a small medieval town (Gradina) are situated on the hill above the village.
VERIC, VERICE (Istok): 1. remains of the church of the Holy Trinity on the site called Crknna (ruins of a church); 2. Old graveyard on the hill above the village.
VIDANJE: unascertained church (perhaps a monastery) in the Lapska nachye, mentioned in the deher of 1487.
VIDANJE, VIDENJE (Klina): remains of the church or monastery of Paskalica in the Vaganiste plain (perhaps the monastery of St Symeon, mentioned in 1485 and in the 16C).
VIDOMIRIC (in the Middle Ages Vidomirici, K. Mitrovica): old graveyard.
VIDUSIC (in the Middle Ages Vidosevci, K.Mitrovica): 1. remains of an old church on the site called Crkva (Church); 2. ruins of a medieval mining settlement and marketplace in the Zidovi valley
VILANCE (Vucitrn): old and present-day Serbian cemetery.
VITAKOVO (in the Middle Ages Vitahovo, K. Mitrovica): two old graveyards - in the village on the site called Njivceta and the so-called Rusalijsko graveyard outside the village with monolithic tombstones.
VITINA KOSOVSKA: 1. Large stone church from the 19C; 2. log-cabin church, devoted to St Paraskeve, dating from 1785.
VITOMIRICA (Pec): church of St Luke (erected after 1912) in the village graveyard.
VLADOVO (Gnjilane): a Serbian church and an old graveyard formerly existed.
VLAHINJA (K. Mitrovica): old church ruins with surviving walls and an old graveyard.
VLASTICA (Gnjilane): ruins of a church and an old graveyard and the microtoponyms "Crkviste" (ruins of a church) and "Manastirce" (small monastery).
VOCNJAK (Srbica): according to tradition, ruins of several churches formerly existed in the village; today there is only the site called Crkviste (ruins of a church), with an old graveyard in which a church stood once.
VOGOVO (Djakovica): ruins of a church in the old village graveyard; the Catholic church of St Mark erected in recent times.
VOJINOVCE, VOJNOVCE (Urosevac): according to tradition, an old church existed on the site called Crkvine (ruins of a church).
VOLUJAK (Klina): two rock-cut hermitages with the remains of frescoes and vessels from the 14C, in the ravine of the Mirusa river
VRACEVO (Leposavic): church of St Kosmas and Damianos, appears to date from the 14C; since the 16C, thoroughly reconstructed for several times.
VRAGOLIJA (Pristina): the bridge on the Sitnica river
(19C), erected by Jasar-Pasha Dzanic, a Turk, with the matenal from demolished Serbian churches.
VRANIC (Djakovica): in the 19C, the ruins of a church and a modest-sized old graveyard could still be seen.
VRANIC (Suva Reka): microtoponym "Srpsko Groblje" (Serbian Graveyard) formerly existed in the village.
VRANI DO (in the Middle Ages Vranin Dol, Pdstina): 1. traces of an old church in the village, 2. remains of a medieval fortress on the Kulan hill, near the village.
VRANISTE (Dragas): remains of two old graveyards and the ruins of three churches situated in the village; not far from the village, another church occupied the site called Cukar.
VRANOVAC (Pec): on the south-west slope of the Vranovac hill, the old Ruzica church was situated; tradition has it that the village mosque was constructed with its stone remains (19C); an old graveyard is located to the nonh of the ruins of this church.
VRBAN (Vitina): traces of the old settlement called Vrbangrad, in the vicinity of the locality called Seliste.
VRBESTICA (Urosevac): 1. remains of the church of St Peter called Manastir (monastery); 2. ruins of a church on the site called Crkviste (ruins of a church) 3. church of St Elijah erected on the foundations of an older church.
VRBICA (Gnjilane): remains of a demolished church on the site called Lojza.
VRBICANE (in the Middle Ages Vrbicani, Prizren): ruins of an old church and a graveyard.
VRBNICA (Podujevo): a settlement that has perished; in a written source from 1455 the monastery of St Menas is mentioned to have existed in it.
VRBNICA (Prizren): an archaeological locality rich in the finds of the early Slavic culture flooded in the construction of a hydro power-plant in Albania.
VRBOVAC (Glogovac): in the 14C, the ruins of a former church and the church of St Demetrios were situated in the vicinity of the village; the localities "Crkva" (Church), "Crkveni Izvor" (Church Spring) and "Crkvene Njive" (Church Fields) exist in the village.
VRBOVAC (Vitina): church of St Demetrios erected in the 19C on the remains of a medieval church (old apse with a part of frescoes). At the start of the 20C, the Albanians devastated the church treasury.
VRELA (Istok): 1. remains of the monastery of Studenica Hvostanska; 2. ruins of a fortress, above the monastery; 3. traces of rock-cut dwellings on Crveni Krs.
VRELO (Lipljan): small village church erected after World War 1.
VRNICA (Vucitrn): church situated in the graveyard.
VRTOMICA (in the Middle Ages Vrtomirce, Kacanik): church of the Resurrection mentioned in 1434, probably located on the site called Crkva (Church) today
VRSEVCE (Lipljan): remains of an old cemetery on the site called Krst (Cross).
VUCA (in the Middle Ages V'lcija Leposavic): 1. foundations of an old church (called Crkvina Kod Zapisa); 2. remains of an antique town (the locality called Anine i.e. of Anna); 3. remains of an ancient church and graveyard (the Vucanska church), below the Vrabac hill.
VUCITRN: the centre of a medieval Serbian district and subsequently of a Turkish sanjak. According to Turkish censuses, this sanjak had 42 monasteries and 11 churches. Today exist: 1. the Vojnovic tower, the remains of the Brankovics' court (14/15C) 2. according to tradition the sites of the present-day Turskih bath and tekija in the Turkish cemetery were formerly occupied by churches; 3. church of St Elijah, erected in 1834.

Z

ZABLACE (Istok): large stone bridge on the Istok river (constructed by the Turks with stone fragments from demolished Serbian churches).
ZABRDJE (Klina): a mosque erected on the site of the old church dedicated according to tradition, to the Holy Saviour (the Resurrectioni.
ZABRDJE (K. Mitrovica): locality "Srpsko Groblje" (Serbian Graveyard).
ZAJCEVCE (Kriva Reka near Novo Brdo): ruins of an old church on the site called Vakaf and the locality "Stojanovo Groblje" (Stolen's Graveyard) where an old Serbian necropolis was situated.
ZAKUT (Podujevo): in the 14C and the 15C, mention was made of the churches of St Peter and St Nicholas nowadays there are the ruins of two churches and a graveyard.
ZAPLUZJE (in the Middle Ages Zapluzani, Dragas): the legend that the village had a large church whose remains are situated in the vicinity of the village, was noted down in 1861.
ZASKOK (Urosevac): remains of a medieval church and a necropolis from the 10-14C (a stone icon from the 14C has been uncovered there).
ZATRIC (Orahovac): 1. yard boundary markers constructed over the foundations of an old church (in the vicinity of the village mosque); 2. remains of the medieval fortress of Zatric, south of the village.
ZBORCE (Urosevac): the site formerly occupied by an old cemetery is known in the village.
ZEBINCE (Pristina): old graveyard; in the 15C, the church of St Nicholas was located near the village.
ZECEVIC (K. Mitrovica): 1. new church erected on the foundations of an older one; 2. remains of a church in the old graveyard, on the site called Kamenjaca.
ZEMANICA (Leposavic): the site formerly occupied by old church ruins and an old Serbian graveyard.
ZJUM (formerly Subi or Zumbi, Prizren): 1. ruins of a former church above the Limez mahala on the site called Crkva (Church); 2. ruins of the church of St George, above a small lake 3. old graveyard in the Hurdi wood, 4. an old grave in the village, called the Priest's grave; 5. Catholic church of the Virgin.
ZLATARE (in Kolasin upon the Ibar): remains of an old church and several old graves in the village cemetery.
ZLATARE (Pristina): old graveyard.
ZLATARE (Urosevac): abandoned church with an old graveyard existed in the past.
ZLAS (Pristina): in the 15C, mention is made of a monastery with the church of St Luke.
ZLI POTOK (Dragas): in the hamlet of Ogradje, the ruins of the church of the Transfiguration with a graveyard stood on the site called Zboriste (a surviving tombstone in the form of a stecak with a Cyrillic inscription).
ZLOKUCANE (Klina): 1. old cemetery; 2. Iarge Catholic church erected at a recent time.
ZLOKUCANE (Lipljan): in the census of 1487, mention is made of the monastery in the village surroundings, south of the village is an old graveyard; the microtoponym "Crkvena Livada" (Church Meadow) is recorded in the village.
ZLOPEK (Pec): remains of an old church near the village on the site called Crkviste (ruins of a church); an old graveyard situated to the south-west of it.
ZOCISTE (Orahovac): 1. Zociste monastery with the church of the Holy Anargyroi (remains of frescoes) mentioned in a chaner from 1327; 2. ruins of the church of the Presentation of the Virgin, in the village; 3. ruins of the church of St John, in the monastic vineyard.
ZOJIC (Prizren): old graveyard.
ZRZE, ZERZEVO (Dragas): in the 19C, the remains of an old graveyard still existed.
ZRZE (in the Middle Ages Zerzevo Orahovac): a graveyard next to the hamlet of Orlovic; the church of St Prokopios existed in the 14C.
ZUPCE (in Kolasin upon the Ibar): old walls in Zubacka Rijeka; a graveyard and a church (restored in 1938) situated in their vicinity
ZVECAN (K. Mitrovica): 1. the medieval fortress of Zvecan with the remains of the church of St George; 2. church of St Demetrios (mentioned as early as 1315) situated beneath Mali Zvecan, on the site where the Serbian, and subsequently Turkish, cemetery used to stand until the 19C.
ZABELJ (Djakovica): ruins of a church and an old graveyard existed in the 19C.
ZAC (Istok): a new graveyard church, on the site called Kruglice, erected on the ruins of an older church (according to folk tradition, demolished hy the Turks).
ZAKOVO (Istok): 1. remains of the church of the Virgin Amolyntos above the Vakav wood 2. foundations of a church on the site called Crkviete (ruins of a church), in the village; 3. an old graveyard on the Glavaca hill.
ZAZA (K. Mitrovica): locality "Kod Crkve" (By the Church)
ZDRELO (Djakovica): the ruins of a church and a graveyard existed in the midd-19C.
ZEGRA (Gnjilane): remains of two demolished churches and an abandoned graveyard; a new village church erected in the recent time.
ZEROVNICA (K. Mitrovica): ruins of a former church and an old graveyard.
ZILIVODA (in the Middle Ages Zlivode, Vucitrn): at the beginning of the 19C, the ruins of three churches were recorded to have existed in the village and its surroundings.
ZITINJE (Podujevo): a church existed in the 15C, probably on the site called Kod Crkve (By the Church); the surviving remains of a medieval mining shah.
ZITINJE (Vitina): 1. church of the Holy Trinity in the graveyard, recently erected over the ruins of the church of the Virgin; 2. ruins of the church of St Nicholas (St Theodore), by the river.
ZITKOVAC (K. Mitrovica): 1. an old graveyard with the ruins of a former church; 2. archaeological remains of a Neolitic settlement.
ZIVINJANE (Prizren): church of St Kyriake, erected in the 19C on the foundations of an old church from the 16-17C.
ZUJA (formerly Cerka, Kriva Reka near Novo Brdo): a Turkish census from the 16C refers to "the monastery of the monk Symon" .