MIT team finds that the ratio of component atoms is vital to performance.
All student award recipients are EECS majors unless otherwise indicated.
Carlton E. Tucker Teaching Award
- Shihab Elborai G, Amman, Jordan
Richard J. Caloggero Award--for dedication and excellent service to the EECS department
- Donna Kaufman, administrative assistant
- Patricia Sampson, administrative assistant
Ruth and Joel Spira Award--for excellence in teaching
- Associate Professor Rahul Sarpeshkar, Arlington, Mass.
Louis D. Smullin Award--to outstanding instructors of EECS core subjects
- Professor Jeffrey H. Lang
- Professor Anant Agarwal
Jerome Saltzer Award--to an outstanding EECS recitation instructor
- Professor Randall Davis
Eta Kapp Nu Underground Guide Excellence in Teaching Award
- Professor Patrick H. Winston
ACM/IEEE Best Academic Advisor Award
- Professor Alan J. Grodzinsky
Edgerton Award--for excellence in teaching
- Assistant Professor Erik Demaine
Harold L. Hazen Teaching Award
- Ashish Khisti G, Toronto, Ontario
Frederick C. Hennie III Teaching Award
- Stephen M. Hou G, West Windsor, N.J.
- Joshua Weaver G, Niceville, Fla.
- David P. Ziegler G, Great Falls, Va.
Department Special Recognition Award
- Kazutaka Takahashi G, aero/astro, Shiga, Japan
Northern Telecom/BNR Project Award--for an outstanding 6.111 laboratory project
- Andrew Leiserson (M.Eng. 2004), Menlo Park, Calif. (spring 2004)
- Amir Hirsch '06, Fairfield, Conn. (spring 2004)
- Robert Cassels '06, Berkshire, England (fall 2004)
- Timothy J. Mamtora '06, Cheshire, England (fall 2004)
George C. Newton Undergraduate Laboratory Prize
- Martijn Stevenson '05, Los Altos, Calif.
- Thomas B. Wilson '05, Portland, Ore.
- Kale D. McNaney '05, Lancaster, N.Y.
Anna Pogosyants UROP Award--for an outstanding computer science UROP project
- Matthew Tschantz G, Euclid, Ohio
Robert A. Fano UROP Award--for the best EECS UROP project
- Yelena Yasinnik '05, mathematics, Brooklyn, N.Y.
Nylander Undergraduate Advanced Project Award
- Zhejuan (Jane) Lu '05, Fairport, N.Y.
David Adler Memorial Thesis Prize--for outstanding master's thesis in electrical engineering
- First prize: Colin Weltin Wu G, Berkeley, Calif.
- Second prize: Emily B. Fox G, Los Angeles, Calif.
Morris Joseph Levin Award--for outstanding Masterworks Oral Thesis presentation
- Asfandyar Qureshi G, Lahore, Pakistan
- Tiferet Levine G, New York, N.Y.
- Jeremy T. Fineman G, Bronxville, N.Y.
- Sara Su G, Bellevue, Wash.
- Jay Kumar Sundararajan G, Chennai Tamil Nadu, India
- Shuodan Chen G, Duluth, Ga.
Ernst A. Guillemin Thesis Award--for an outstanding master's thesis in electrical engineering
- First prize: Keyuan Xu '05, Northborough, Mass.
- Second prize: Anne Dreyer G, Reisterstown, Md., and Alp Simsek G, Antalya, Turkey
Charles and Jennifer Johnson Thesis Prize--for outstanding master's thesis in computer science
- Asfanya Qureshi G, Lahore, Pakistan
William A. Martin Memorial Thesis Prize--for an outstanding master's thesis in computer science
- Michael Bolin G, East Brunswick, N.J.
George M. Sprowls Award--for an outstanding Ph.D. thesis in computer science
- Ramesh Johari (Ph.D. 2004), San Francisco, Calif.
- Emmett Witchel (Ph.D. 2004), Austin, Texas.
- Honorable mention: Wojciech Matusik (Ph.D. 2004), Cambridge, Mass., and Tracey Ho (Ph.D. 2004), Sudbury, Mass.