most recent videos
Remembering Ron McNair
Video: Melanie Gonick; still images: NASA
On the 25th anniversary of the Challenger Space Shuttle disaster, AeroAstro professor Jeffrey Hoffman remembers his colleague.
- Remembering Ron McNair
- On the 25th anniversary of the Challenger Space Shuttle disaster, AeroAstro professor Jeffrey Hoffman remembers his colleague.
- Break the tension
- A block of wood is attached vertically between two strings. When the bottom string is pulled slowly, the top string breaks. When the bottom string is ...
- Spring paradox
- A mass hangs from two identical springs. First, the springs are attached in series by a short string between them. The center string is cut, changing ...
- Double cone and plane
- A double cone is placed on the bars of an inclined plane. Instead of rolling down the plane the cone rolls up. Although the plane slants upward, the b...
- Greenhouse gas
- David Simchi-Levi, a professor in MIT's Engineering Systems Division and Department of Civil Engineering, discusses lowering greenhouse emissions gene...
- New Koch Institute
- A peek into the development of the new David H. Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research. The formal dedication ceremony will be held on March 4...
- Solar fuel
- MIT Professor Jeffrey Grossman explains how this material can be used to store and release energy in the form of heat.
- Breakdown air
- Grounding rod tips of different sizes are used to discharge a large Van de Graaff generator. The larger the curvature of the tip, the more charge must...
- Rotating candles
- A row of candles are placed inside a see-through dome on a rotating platform. When the platform rotates, air inside the dome gets pushed to the sides ...
- Rolling ribbons
- This video illustrates the shape transformation of a flexible polymer ribbon, otherwise circular, when rotated on a treadmill.
- Stick ball
- Two wood boards are connected by a hinge. A small cup is mounted near one end of the upper board with a tee for a ball on the end. The board is lifted...
- Beads on a string
- Gareth McKinley, professor of mechanical engineering, describes how a material such has saliva can be "stringy."
- A diagram of a wormhole, a hypothetical "shortcut" through the universe, where its two ends are each in separate points in spacetime.
- At the 2013 GCC Poster Session, PAOC's Rebecca Saari (left) presents her research on climate change policy.