High Temperature Irradiation Facility (HTIF)
Fall 2005 — Spring 2006
- Designed to provide a test irradiation enviroment for high temperature, gas cooled materials.
- Sample materials will be irradiated in tungsten capsules from 1000oC - 1400oC.
- Nuclear heating in combination with a controlled conductivity gap achieves temperature control.
- Ex-core data acquisition system monitors temperatures and gas flow rates.
- Successful irradiations of Silicon carbide materials can lead to alumina and zircona based ceramic or ceramic fiber composites as well as graphite and graphite fiber composites.
- Click HERE to see new brochure.