Mujid S. Kazimi
TEPCO Professor of Nuclear Engineering;
Professor of Mechanical Engineering;
Director, Center for Advanced Nuclear Energy Systems (CANES)
Director, Kuwait MIT Center for Natural Resources and the Environment
B.Eng., Nuclear Engineering, Alexandria University, Egypt, 1969
M.S., Nuclear Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1971
Ph.D., Nuclear Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1973
Development of Advanced Nuclear Fuel for LWRs
As nuclear energy use expands to supply increasing portion of world energy, its fuel performance should be enhanced to enable extraction of more energy from its content. This enhancement of power density in nuclear cores should occur while preserving if not expanding the fuel safety margins. This project investigates alternative geometrical and materials designs of fuel, such as the annular fuel with internal cooling and the use of SiC instead of Zr alloys for fuel cladding. By increasing the fuel surface to volume ratio and using materials less reactive with water at high temperature, the economic and safety performance of the fuel is improved.
System Analysis of the Nuclear Fuel Cycle
This project aims at nderstanding of the implications of a closed fuel cycle compared with the open fuel cycle regarding spent fuel management economics and proliferation resistance. The nuclear fuel cycle simulation code CAFCA has been undergoing development, to enable a wider optimization of transition to advanced reactor options and also the appropriate rate of addition of advanced reactor capability. Mixed oxide recycling in LWRs as well as fast reactor with different conversion ratios.
Current Research Projects
High Burnup Fuel Modeling
High Performance Fuels for LWRs
Fuel Cycles for Actinide Transmutation
Nuclear Energy for Hydrogen Production
22.251 Systems Analysis of the Nuclear Fuel Cycle
22.312 Engineering of Nuclear Reactors
22.314J Structural Mechanics in Nuclear Power Technology
22.40J Fundamentals of Advanced Energy Conversion
Select Other Professional Activities (last ten years)
- Member, Board of Trustees, Al-Quds University, Jerusalem, 1998–present.
- Member, Science Review Panel for Thermal Hydraulics, Paul Scherrer Institute,
- Co-Chair, MIT Interdisciplinary Study on the Future of the Nuclear Fuel Cycle, 2008–2011.
- Member, International Advisory Board on Nuclear Energy, Office of Executive Authority, Government of Abu Dhabi, 2009–present
- Chair, Advisory Committee, Institute of Nuclear Science and Technology, Center for Advanced Energy Studies, Idaho National Laboratory, 2009–2012
- Chair, Advisory Panel on Nuclear Engineering Program, Khalifah University of Science and Technology, Abu Dhabi, 2010–present
- Member, Nuclear Energy Advisory Committee, DOE, 2011–present
- Member, Advisory Committee, School of Nuclear Engineering, Purdue University, 2011–present
- Member, Advisory Committee to U. of Chicago for the Division of Energy, Safety and Security, of Argonne National Laboratory, 2012–present
Honors and Awards
- Kuwait Prize in Applied Sciences by the Kuwait Foundation for the Advancement of Science (KFAS), 2011
- Member of the National Academy of Engineering
- Fellow of the International Nuclear Energy Academy
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Fellow of the American Nuclear Society
- The TAKREEM Award for Achievements in Science and Technology, Lebanon, 2011
- Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) Professorship in Nuclear Engineering, MIT, 2000–present
- Technical Achievements Award, Thermal Hydraulic Division, American Nuclear Society, 2009
- Who's Who in America, 1995– present.
Select Recent Publications
- R. Hu and M.S. Kazimi, “ Flashing Induced Instability Analysis and the Start-Up of Natural Circulation Boiling Water Reactors”, Nuclear Technology, Vol. 176 (1), October 2011.
- Bo Feng, Eugene Shwageraus, Benoit Forget and Mujid S. Kazimi, “ LWR Breeding with Nitride Fuel”, Progress in Nuclear Energy 53, pp 862-866, September 2011.
- A. Karahan and M.S. Kazimi, “On the Significance of Modeling Nuclear Fuel Behavior with the Right Representation of Physical Phenomena,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, October 2010.
- R. Busquim e Silva, M. S.Kazimi and P. Hejzlar, “Nuclear Fuel Recycling: National and Regional Options for the US Nuclear Energy Systems”, Energy and Environmental Science, October 2010.
- M. Visosky, Y. Shatilla, P. Hejzlar and M.S. Kazimi, “ Actinide Transmutation In PWRs using CONFU Assemblies”, Nuclear Sci. and Eng., Vol. 163(3), November 2009.
- B. D. Middleton, M.S. Kazimi, M. W. Leung, “Nuclear Hydrogen and Captured Carbon Dioxide for Alternative Liquid Fuels”, Nuclear Technology, Vol. 166(1), pp. 64-75. Special Issue on Nuclear Hydrogen Production, Control, and Management, April 2009.
- Jeong Ik Lee, Lin-wen Hu, Pradip Saha and M.S. Kazimi, “Numerical analysis of thermal striping induced high cycle thermal fatigue in a mixing tee,” Nuclear Engineering and Design : 239(5): 833, 2009.
- Zhao, Jiyun; Saha, Pradip; Kazimi, Mujid S., “Coupled neutronic and thermal-hydraulic out-of-phase stability of supercritical water-cooled reactors,” Nuclear Technology, Vol. 164(1), October 2008, p 20-33.
- P. Hejzlar and M.S. Kazimi, “Annular Fuel for High-Power-Density Pressurized Water Reactors: Motivation and Overview,” Nuclear Technology, Vol. 160(1), pp. 2-15, October 2007.
- Yi Yuan, M. S. Kazimi, P. Hejzlar, “Thermomechanical Performance of High-Power-Density Annular Fuel,” Nuclear Technology, Vol. 160(1), pp. 135-149, October 2007.
- J. Hoon Jeong, M.S. Kazimi, “ The Synergetic Effects of Nuclear-Assisted Gas Turbine Power Cycles”, Nuclear Technology, March 2007.
- T. H. Newton, Jr., M.S. Kazimi, and E. E. Pilat, “Development of a Low Enriched Uranium Core for the MIT Reactor”, Nuclear Science and Engineering, 2007.
- A. Romano, B. Boscher, P. Hejzlar, M.S. Kazimi, and N.E. Todreas, “Implications of Alternative Strategies for Transition to Sustainable Fuel Cycles,” Nuclear Science and Engineering, September 2006.
- B. Yildiz, K. Hohnholt, and M.S. Kazimi, “Hydrogen Production using High Temperature Steam Electrolysis Supported by Advanced Gas Reactors with Supercritical CO2 Cycles,” Nuclear Technology, July, 2006.
- B. Yildiz and M.S. Kazimi, "Efficiency of Hydrogn Production Systems Using Alternative Nuclear Technologies", Int. Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol 31, #1, pp 77-92, 2006.
CANES Reports and other publications
- M.S. Kazimi, P. Hejzlar, Y. Shatilla, Bo Feng, Yu-Chih Ko, E. Pilat, K. Shirvan, J. Whitman, and A. Hamed, A High Efficiency and Environmentally Friendly Nuclear Reactor (HEER) for Electricity and Hydrogen, Volume 1 (Main Report) and Volume 2 (Appendices), MIT-ANP-TR-125, November 2009.
- Joshua J. Whitman and Mujid S. Kazimi, Thermal Hydraulic Design Of A Salt-Cooled Highly Efficient Environmentally Friendly Reactor. Technical Report, MIT Center for Advanced Nuclear Energy Studies (CANES), MIT-ANP-TR-124, August 2009.
- Laurent Guérin and Mujid S. Kazimi, Impact of Alternative Nuclear Fuel Cycle Options on Infrastructure and Fuel Requirements, Actinide and Waste Inventories, and Economics. Technical Report, MIT Center for Advanced Nuclear Energy Studies (CANES), MIT-NFC-TR-111, September 2009.
Labs + Groups
In the News
NEW: Second Edition
Nuclear Systems Volume I: Thermal Hydraulic Fundamentals, 2nd ed.
Updated with new information about advanced nuclear fuel designs, two-phase flow and heat transfer, and pre- and post- accident energy sources in nuclear plants.