TEPCO Professor of Nuclear Engineering;
Professor of Mechanical Engineering;
Director, Center for Advanced Nuclear Energy Systems (CANES)
Director, Kuwait MIT Center for Natural Resources and the Environment
B.Eng., Nuclear Engineering, Alexandria University, Egypt, 1969
M.S., Nuclear Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1971
Ph.D., Nuclear Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1973
Development of Advanced Nuclear Fuel for LWRs
As nuclear energy use expands to supply increasing portion of world energy, its fuel performance should be enhanced to enable extraction of more energy from its content. This enhancement of power density in nuclear cores should occur while preserving if not expanding the fuel safety margins. This project investigates alternative geometrical and materials designs of fuel, such as the annular fuel with internal cooling and the use of SiC instead of Zr alloys for fuel cladding. By increasing the fuel surface to volume ratio and using materials less reactive with water at high temperature, the economic and safety performance of the fuel is improved.
System Analysis of the Nuclear Fuel Cycle
This project aims at nderstanding of the implications of a closed fuel cycle compared with the open fuel cycle regarding spent fuel management economics and proliferation resistance. The nuclear fuel cycle simulation code CAFCA has been undergoing development, to enable a wider optimization of transition to advanced reactor options and also the appropriate rate of addition of advanced reactor capability. Mixed oxide recycling in LWRs as well as fast reactor with different conversion ratios.
Current Research Projects
High Burnup Fuel Modeling
High Performance Fuels for LWRs
Fuel Cycles for Actinide Transmutation
Nuclear Energy for Hydrogen Production
22.251 Systems Analysis of the Nuclear Fuel Cycle
22.312 Engineering of Nuclear Reactors
22.314J Structural Mechanics in Nuclear Power Technology
22.40J Fundamentals of Advanced Energy Conversion
Select Other Professional Activities (last ten years)
- Member, Board of Trustees, Al-Quds University, Jerusalem, 1998-2013
- Member, Science Review Panel for Thermal Hydraulics, Paul Scherrer Institute, Switzerland, 2006–present
- Co-Chair, MIT Interdisciplinary Study on the Future of the Nuclear Fuel Cycle, 2008–2011
- Member, International Advisory Board on Nuclear Energy, Office of Executive Authority, Government of Abu Dhabi, 2009–present
- Chair, Advisory Committee, Institute of Nuclear Science and Technology, Center for Advanced Energy Studies, Idaho National Laboratory, 2009–2012
- Chair, Advisory Panel on Nuclear Engineering Program, Khalifah University of Science and Technology, Abu Dhabi, 2010-2014
- Member, Nuclear Energy Advisory Committee, DOE, 2011–present
- Member, Advisory Committee, School of Nuclear Engineering, Purdue University, 2011–present
- Member, Advisory Committee to U. of Chicago for the Division of Energy, Safety and Security, of Argonne National Laboratory, 2012–present
Honors and Awards
- Kuwait Prize in Applied Sciences by the Kuwait Foundation for the Advancement of Science (KFAS), 2011
- Member of the National Academy of Engineering
- Fellow of the International Nuclear Energy Academy
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Fellow of the American Nuclear Society
- The TAKREEM Award for Achievements in Science and Technology, Lebanon, 2011
- Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) Professorship in Nuclear Engineering, MIT, 2000–present
- Technical Achievements Award, Thermal Hydraulic Division, American Nuclear Society, 2009
- Who's Who in America, 1995– present.
Select Recent Publications
- N. E. Todreas and M. S. Kazimi, Nuclear systems. Vol. 1, Thermal hydraulic fundamentals, 2nd ed. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2012.
- R. Hu and M. S. Kazimi, "Boiling Water Reactor Stability Analysis by Trace/Parcs: Modeling Effects and Case Study of Time Versus Frequency Domain Approach," Nuclear Technology, vol. 177, pp. 8-28, Jan 2012.
- K. Shirvan, P. Hejzlar, and M. S. Kazimi, "The design of a compact integral medium size PWR," Nuclear Engineering and Design, vol. 243, pp. 393-403, Feb 2012.
- S. Passerini and M. Kazimi, "Sustainability Features of Nuclear Fuel Cycle Options," Sustainability, vol. 4, pp. 2377-2398, 2012.
- B. Feng, A. Karahan, and M. S. Kazimi, "Steady-state fuel behavior modeling of nitride fuels in FRAPCON-EP," Journal of Nuclear Materials, vol. 427, pp. 30-38, Aug 2012.
- T. Conboy, T. J. McKrell, and M.S. Kazimi, “Experimental Investigation of Hydraulics and Lateral Mixing for Helical-Cruciform Fuel Rod Assemblies”, Nuclear Technology, May 2013.
- John D. Stempien, David M. Carpenter, Gordon Kohse, and Mujid S. Kazimi “Characteristics of Composite Silicon Carbide Fuel Cladding After Irradiation Under Simulated PWR Conditions”, Nuclear Technology, July 2013.
- Youhu Lee, Thomas McKrell, Chao Yue and Mujid S.Kazimi, “Safety Assessment of SiC Cladding Oxidation Under Loss of Coolant Accident (LOCA) Conditions in LWRs”, Nuclear Technology, August 2013.
- K. Shirvan and M. S. Kazimi, "Nuclear Design of Helical Cruciform Fuel Rods," in Physor 2012: Advances in Reactor Physics, Knoxville, Tennessee, 2012, p. 1267.
- X. Sheng and M. S. Kazimi, "Assessment of Different Fuel Design Options with SiC Cladding for Light Water Reactors," presented at the International Congress on Advances in Nuclear Power Plants 2012 (ICAPP 2012), Chicago, Illinois, June 2012.
- S. Passerini, M. S. Kazimi, and E. Shwageraus, "Sensitivity Analysis and Optimization of the Nuclear Fuel Cycle," presented at the International Congress on Advances in Nuclear Power Plants 2012 (ICAPP 2012), Chicago, Illinois, June 2012.
- K. Shirvan, N. Andrews and M.S. Kazimi “Best Estimate Void Fraction and Critical Power Correlations for Tight Lattice BWR Bundles” , ICAPP 2013.
- Youho Lee, Thomas J. Mckrell, And Mujid S. Kazimi, “ Thermal Shock Fracture Of Silicon Carbide And Its Application To LWR Fuel Cladding Performance During Reflood”, ICAPP 2013.
- Samuel Brinton, Stefano Passerini, Mujid Kazimi ” Nuclear Fuel Cycle Analysis and Optimization with the Code for Advanced Fuel Cycles Assessment (CAFCA)” Submitted to the ANS meeting, June 2013
- Alexander Mieloszyk, Yanin Sukjai, Sheng Xu, Mujid S. Kazimi, “FRAPCON-MIT: A Fuel Performance Tool for Innovative Fuel Designs”, Submitted to LWR Fuels Performance Meeting- TOPFUEL, Charlotte, SC, September 2013.
CANES Reports and other publications
- Shirvan K, Kazimi MS. 2012. “Development of Optimized Core Design and Analysis Methods for High Power Density BWRs.” Advanced Nuclear Power Program. MIT-ANP-TR-145
- Mieloszyk A J, Kazimi MS. 2012. “An Improved Structural Mechanics Model For The Frapcon Nuclear Fuel Performance Code.” Nuclear Fuel Cycle Program. MIT-NFC-TR-129
- Passerini S, Shwageraus E, and Kazimi MS. 2012. “Sensitivity Analysis and Optimization of the Nuclear Fuel Cycle: A Systematic Approach” Nuclear Fuel Cycle Program. MIT-NFC-TR-133