skip to main content
Useful Reading on Negotiation and Conflict Management
Throughout our work we have found a host of helpful books, articles, listservs,
and other web resources that help improve a user's negotiation and conflict
management skills. While we do not endorse every opinion expressed by
all of the authors, we do believe that most of these readings and listservs
provide extremely helpful tools for individuals and teams in handling difficult
- Blake, Robert R. and Jane Srygley Moulton, Solving Costly Organizational
Conflicts, Jossey-Bass, 1984.
- Bolton, Robert H., People Skills: How to Assert Yourself, Listen to Others,
and Resolve Conflicts, Prentice Hall, 1979.
- Brams, Steven J. and Alan D. Taylor, The Win-win Solution, Norton, 1999.
- Bramson, Robert, Coping With Difficult Bosses, Simon & Schuster, 1992.
- Bramson, Robert, Coping With Difficult People, Anchor, Doubleday, 1981.
- Brinkman, Rick and Rick Kirschner, Dealing with People You Can’t
Stand, McGraw Hill, 1994.
- Bush, Robert A. and Joseph P. Folger, The Promise of Mediation: Responding
to Conflict Through Empowerment and Recognition, Jossey-Bass, 1994.
- Cavenagh, Thomas D., Business Dispute Resolution, West Legal Studies in
Business, (Thomson), 2000.
- Costantino, Cathy and Christina Sickles Merchant, Designing Conflict Management
Systems, Jossey-Bass, 1996.
- Crum, Thomas F., The Magic of Conflict: Turning a Life of Work into a Work
of Art, Simon and Schuster, 1988.
- Ewing, David, W., Justice in the Work Place, HBS Press, 1990.
- Fisher, Roger and Scott Brown, Getting Together: Building a Relationship
That Gets to Yes, Houghton Mifflin, 1988.
- Fisher, Roger and Danny Ertel, Getting Ready to Negotiate: The Getting
to Yes Workbook, Penguin Books, 1995.
- Fisher, Roger, William L. Ury and Bruce Patton, Getting To Yes: Negotiating
Agreement Without Giving In, Houghton Mifflin, 1992.
- Goleman, Daniel, Emotional Intelligence, Bantam, 1995.
- Gray, Barbara, Collaborating: Finding Common Ground for Multiparty Problems,
- Kolb, Deborah and Judith Williams, The Shadow Negotiation, Simon and Schuster,
- Koren, Leonard and Peter Goodman, One Hour to Negotiating Power, W.W. Norton & Company,
- Lax, David A. and James Sebenius, The Manager as Negotiator, Free Press,
- Moore, Christopher, The Mediation Process: Practical Strategies for Resolving
- Raiffa, Howard, The Art and Science of Negotiation, Harvard University
- Slaikeu, Karl, When Push Comes to Shove, A Practical Guide to Mediating
Disputes, Jossey-Bass, 1996.
- Slaikeu, Karl and Ralph Hasson, Controlling the Costs of Conflict, Jossey-Bass,
- Solomon, Muriel, Working with Difficult People, Prentice Hall, 1990.
- Stone, Douglas, Bruce Patton and Sheila Heen, Difficult Conversations,
How to Discuss What Matters Most, Viking, 1999.
- Tannen, Deborah, You Just Don't Understand, William Morrow and Company,
- Ury, William L., Getting Past No. Bantam, 1993.
- Ury, William L., The Third Side, Penguin, 2000.
- Ury, William L., Jeanne M. Brett and Stephen B. Goldberg, Getting Disputes
Resolved: Designing Systems to Cut the Costs of Conflict, Jossey-Bass, 1988.
- Vagiste, Karin, Settle It, Sterling House, 1999.
- Walker, Michael A. and George L. Harris, Negotiations: Six Steps to Success,
Prentice Hall, 1995.
- Walton, R.E., Joel Cutcher-Gershenfeld and Robert McKersie, Strategic Negotiations,
HBS Press, 1994.
- Williams, Gerald, Legal Negotiation and Settlement, West, 1982.
- Negotiation Journal
- Mediation Quarterly
Email Discussion Lists
- A mixed arbitration/mediation discussion list: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Send ‘subscribe dispute-res first Name last Name’ to email@example.com