MIT philosophy: resources: libraries:
general guidelines | classification system | borrowing and
returning | suggestions | librarians
James F Thomson library
- The library (32-D864) is only for the use of the staff,
faculty, and graduate students of the Department of Linguistics and
Philosophy. See Chrissy for the door combination.
- Please leave the working spaces in the library as you found
- The library is catalogued using Delicious Library software; use this to find and check out books. A
book that has not been properly checked out can be easily
misplaced, and it is always nice to know who borrowed that book you have been looking for.
- Please only remove journals from the library for no
longer than is necessary to make photocopies; similarly for books
in the reserve section.
- Please help us prevent direct sunlight from bleaching our
books. Remember to shut the blinds before you leave.
- Please do not reshelve books or journals. Leave them
in the 'return' shelf. They will be reshelved on a regular
- Journals: alphabetical by title, date
- Books: alphabetical by author/editor within
the following categories:
- moral and political philosophy
- history of analytic philosophy
- history of philosophy
- philosophy of language and philosophical logic
- mathematical logic and mathematics
- history and philosophy of mathematics
- history and philosophy of science
- philosophy of mind
borrowing and returning
- Journals should only be removed briefly for photocopying. To
check out a book:
- Open Delicious Library (on the computer next to the main door)
if it is not already open.
- Use the barcode scanner to find the book you want to check out
in the catalogue. The scanner is on the desk, appropriately labeled
'scanner'. If the book does not have a barcode, or if you have any
problems with the scanner, look it up using the search bar on the
bottom of the application window.
- Please be careful not to modify the entry for the selected
- Drag the book you want to check out from the central list (not
from the right hand side of the screen - that will not work) onto
your name in the list labeled 'Borrowers', on the lower left corner
of the application window.
- The expected return date appears in the screen, under your
name. Please return the book by the appropriate date. (An email
reminding you of the due date will be sent to you.)
- To return (check in) a book, please use the barcode scanner to
find it in the catalogue. Alternatively, you can look it up using
the search bar on the bottom of the window. From the red checkout
menu below the item's detail (on the right hand frame), choose
Check In. Alternatively, click on your name in the
borrowers list, select the book you want to return from the central
list, and press the delete key.
- To renew your loan, please check the book in first (see above)
and repeat the checking out procedure.
- Please do not reshelve books. Leave them on the 'return' shelf.
They will be reshelved on a regular basis.
We have plenty of money for books, and we need suggestions for
what to buy. Please submit your suggestions to Dan.
Find the ISBN if you're feeling helpful (look it up on amazon).
Sofia Ortiz-Hinojosa, firstname.lastname@example.org
updated: 30 sept 11