Postdoctoral Information Guide

Mandatory Paperwork
On your first day at MIT, you will have to fill out employment forms with Vicky Metternich (4-311,, 3-4804) in Physics HQ’s.  Please call or email to schedule an appointment to complete the following forms:

  • Inventions and Proprietary Information Agreement form
  • Personnel/Appointment Information Form
  • Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9) - You will need to provide documents that establish identity and work eligibility.

International Scholars Office (ISchO)
E38-219, 617-253-2851, Walk-in Hours:  Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
If you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you must check in with the ISchO within your first three days at MIT. Be sure to bring your passport and visa documents with you. If you have any questions at any time during your stay regarding your visa, please contact myself or the International Scholars Office.

Identification Card (MIT ID)
W20-021 (basement of Stratton Student Center) 617-253-3475, Hours:  Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Soon after your arrival, you should go to the MIT Card Office in the basement of the Stratton Student Center, W20-021, and have your picture taken for your MIT ID (bring your drivers license or passport). I will send you an email letting you know that you are in the system and are able to get your card.

MIT Athena account, Kerberos ID, Web Certificates
As a member of the MIT community, you have access to a wide range of computer-based facilities and tools that will help you to get your work done. To take advantage of many of these electronic resources, you first need to establish an official identity that will allow you to pass through MIT's online security systems. Through this site you can sign up for a Kerberos/Athena account and get a personalized certificate on the computer you are using to ensure secure accessibility to otherwise protected sites like the Employee Self Service (ESS).

Atlas - Administrative-Systems Hub
A single online gateway for administrative systems at MIT. You can access the services you need - both self-service and administrative system functions - all in one place. Some key features include:

  • Home Page - Find helpful resources and learn about current activities.
  • Build your own Menu - Personalize your home page menu for the work tasks that you need most.
  • About Me - Update your personal info, payroll direct deposit, view paystubs, and more.
  • Campus Life - Learn about what is going on and connect with others at MIT.
  • People Search - Look up MIT colleagues from within Atlas and save favorite contact in address book.
  • Feedback Button - Let us know what you think.

Over time, Atlas will provide access to additional systems, refresh older administrative applications, and improve users’ ability to organize work activities according to specific roles and individual needs.

Tax Withholding/Tax Forms
If you are paid by MIT, complete your Tax Withholdings under the Money Matters tab in the Employee Self Service site. International visitors are encouraged to find out if they are eligible for coverage by a tax treaty. You may either visit the Payroll office in NE49-3131 to obtain forms, or email with your name, MIT ID number and country of residence to ask if you are eligible. You will need to file a U.S. tax return by April 15 for the preceding calendar year.  For more information about tax publications and resources for international scholars, visit:

Taxes are processed through two separate offices depending on the type of payments involved, HR/Payroll and Accounts Payable.

Tax Form

Issued for:

Issued by:


Salary and wage payments to employees and students excluding wages that are exempt under a tax treaty

HR/Payroll or 617-253-3337


1) Salary and wage payments to employees and students who are non‐resident aliens
covered by a tax treaty
2) Fellowship payments covered by a tax
treaty which had federal income tax

HR/Payroll ( or 617-253-3337):  Salary can wage payments, fellowships

Accounts Payable ( or 617-253-2750): Honoraria, prizes and awards, fellowships, non-graduate student salaries, etc.


Independent contractors, royalties and
other income

Accounts Payable ( or 617‐253‐2750)


Pension payments to retirees and Long Term Disability payments

HR/Payroll or 617-253-3337


Emergency Preparedness, Personal Safety and Theft  
Please be aware that MIT is a relatively open space, especially during the workday. There have been thefts of computers, cell phones, and wallets from offices and open areas on campus, so please make sure to secure your area and do not leave valuables unattended.

Dial 100 or 617-253-1212 from a campus phone for all police, medical/ambulance, fire/explosion, and other emergencies. Non-emergency injuries should be reported to your supervisor and MIT Medical Department, E23, 253-1311 (open 24 hours per day/ 7 days per week).  After contacting the proper authorities, please also let Physics HQ staff know about thefts and any injuries within 24 hours of the accident.

For information about emergency MIT closings, call 253-SNOW (253-7669).


Parking and Transportation
W20-022,, 617-258-6510, Hours: Mon-Fri 8:30am-4:30pm

  • Alternative Transit Subsidy        
  • Bicycling          
  • Carpool/Vanpool          
  • Emergency Ride Home
  • Shuttles           
  • T-Passes         
  • Zipcar
  • Parking is available on campus and you must sign up via the department parking coordinator, Vicky Metternich (4-311,, 3-4804).

MIT is closed on 12 Holidays each year. Visit the website listed above for a list of MIT administrative holidays.

Athletic Facilities
MIT staff and affiliates may purchase a membership to MIT athletic facilities. For membership information, visit the MIT Athletics Web Site or call 617-452-3690.

Furniture Exchange
The MIT Student Furniture Exchange (FX), a service project of the MIT Women's League since 1958, sells used furniture and household goods at bargain prices and is open to the MIT, Harvard, Suffolk and Boston University communities. The FX provides a dual service since all profits benefit the MIT Women's League Scholarship Fund.

Family Resources

  • MIT Spouses and Partners – provides support, networking and educational opportunities for the wives, husbands and significant others of MIT students, postdocs, staff, and faculty. Contact person - Jennifer Recklet (617-253-1614 or More information available on
  • MIT Center for Work, Family, and Personal Life - provides all members of the MIT community with advice, referrals, and resources on parenting, child care, schools, and job flexibility and oversees the Institute’s child-care centers:
  • Technology Children’s Centers - MIT operates child-care centers in Cambridge and Lexington so that parents can choose the location most convenient to home or work. These services are provided by Bright Horizons:
  • Parents in a Pinch – In-home back up childcare at preferred rates through MIT,

Helpful Resources

The Office of the Vice President (VPR) and the MIT Postdoctoral Association (PDA)

These websites contain useful information for prospective, new, and continuing postdoctoral researchers.  MIT is committed to creating a welcoming environment for its postdoctoral community, and one that provides good conditions for career advancement. The Office of the Vice President (VPR), part of the Office of the Provost, works closely with the postdoc-led Postdoctoral Association (PDA) to address policies and issues concerning professional development and the quality of life. The office and the Association sponsor events and provide resources, information, and professional development seminars. To sign up for the MIT Postdoc listserv to get news from both areas, please go to


Additional Contact Information

MIT Affiliate Health Plan for Postdoctoral Fellows  
Contact the MIT Affiliate Health Plans Office to arrange for an orientation.  Sign up for both the Affiliate Health Plan and the Extended Insurance Plan
Walk-in/Phone Hours:
M–F, 8:30AM to 5PM
Health Plans Office
Phone: (617) 253-4371
Address: E23-308

Processing Health and Dental invoices for Fellows
Name: Rosaleah Brown
Phone: (617) 253-4802
Address: 4-304
Department: Department of Physics
Title: Financial Administrator

Tax Treaty Information 
Name: Marsha A Dailey
Phone: (617) 253-2799
Address: NE49-3182
Department: Payroll
Title: HR/Payroll Representative

General Questions regarding Employment
Name: Vicky Metternich
Phone: (617) 253-4804
Address: 4-311
Department: Department of Physics
Title: HR Administrator

Last updated on March 1, 2018 3:13 PM