- Undergraduate Program
- Graduate Program
- Academic Integrity Handbook
- Student Resources
- Honors & Awards
Physics Graduate Student Orientation
Information last updated on June 9, 2016 4:56 PM
Welcome to MIT! We are always pleased to welcome incoming graduate students into our community.
For logistical information about details you need to plan ahead of your arrival, as well as information that will enhance your experience at MIT, the first place you should look is the MIT Graduate Admissions website’s information for admitted grad students, also known as the “Practical Planning Guide.”
The Department of Physics orientation schedule is listed below. Please visit the Frequently Asked Questions page for answers to common questions, and note the following important items:
- Students should be on campus by Thursday, August 25th to participate in initial Orientation activities. It is expected that most incoming students will take the written Physics General Exam on Monday, August 29, 2016. All students must take any part of the exam that they have not yet passed in January of their first year, and must pass all parts by January of their second year. Detailed information on the structure and schedule of the written exam is here.
- If you need off-campus housing, you should plan to arrive on campus at least two weeks prior to the start of classes.
- International Graduate Students should visit the International Students Office website for helpful information including a section for incoming students.
- Institute-wide Orientation for graduate students is organized by the Graduate Student Council. Please make sure to check the Orientation schedule here. You are encouraged to attend these events in addition to the Physics Department's orientation sessions.
- Practice General Exams are available here.
- Remember that as you begin (and progress through!) your life as an MIT Physics grad student, the Academic Programs Office is the first place you can turn to for answers to your questions. We’re here to help.
- ** I-9 form, IPIA form, General Tax Information form, Moving Expense Reimbursement form, and other forms can be found here.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
|AUGUST 25||Department of Physics Orientation, Session 1||12 - 2PM||Pappalardo Room, 4-349|
|AUGUST 26||Welcome Barbecue||3 - 5PM||Eastman Court
(between bldgs 14, 48, and 6)
|AUGUST 29||Continental Breakfast||TBA||32-082|
|General Exam - Part I
Some incoming students may choose to take this exam.
|AUGUST 31||Department of Physics Orientation, Session 2||2 - 3:30PM||Pappalardo Room, 4-349|
|SEPTEMBER 5||LABOR DAY HOLIDAY -- OFFICES CLOSED|
|SEPTEMBER 6||Registration Day Breakfast||930 - 11AM||8-314|
|SEPTEMBER 7||First Day of Classes|
Last updated on June 9, 2016 4:56 PM