- Faculty Directory
- Academic Staff Directory
- Administrative Staff Directory
- Pappalardo Fellows Directory
- Postdoctoral Scholars
- Departmental Committees
- Society of Physics Students
- Physics Graduate Students Council
- Undergraduate Women in Physics
- Graduate Women in Physics
- MIT Association of Postdoctoral Scholars
- Alumni & Friends
Bruno Rossi Professor of Physics
Associate Director, Chandra X-ray Observatory Center
PHONE: (617) 253-0879
ASSISTANT:Amy Sargent (617) 253-6495
Areas of Physics:
Professor Canizares is Vice President and the Bruno Rossi Professor of Physics at MIT. He has responsibility for MIT’s major international partnerships and oversees the MIT Lincoln Laboratory.
Claude Canizares is the Associate Director of the Chandra X-ray Observatory Center and a principal investigator on NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory, having led the development of the Chandra High Resolution Transmission Grating Spectrometer. Canizares’s main research interests are high resolution x-ray spectroscopy and plasma diagnostics of supernova remnants and clusters of galaxies, X-ray studies of dark matter, X-ray properties of quasars and active galactic nuclei, and observational cosmology. He is author or co-author of more than 230 scientific papers.
Claude Canizares earned his BA, MA and PhD in physics from Harvard University. He came to MIT as a postdoctoral fellow in the Physics Department in 1971 and joined the faculty in 1974. Canizares has received several awards, including decoration for Meritorious Civilian Service to the United States Air Force, two NASA Public Service Medals, and the Goddard Medal of the American Astronautical Society.
- Implications of X-Ray Line Variations for 4U1822-371. L. Ji, N. S. Schulz, M. A. Nowak, C. R. Canizares, ApJ 729 102-112, 2011.
- TGCat: The Chandra Transmission Grating Data Catalog and Archive. D. P. Huenemoerder, A. Mitschang, D. Dewey, M.A. Nowak, N.S. Schulz, J.S. Nichols, J.E. Davis, J.C. Houck, H.L. Marshall, M. S. Noble, D. Morgan, C.R.Canizares, The Astronomical Journal 141 129-139, 2011.
- Detection of A Transient X-ray Absorption Line Intrinsic to the BL Lacertae Object H 2356-309. T. Fang, D.A. Boute, P.J. Humphrey, C.R. Canizares, ApJ 731 46-53, 2011.
- Evolution and Hydrodynamics of the Very-Broad X-ray Line Emission in SN 1987A. D. Dewey, V.V. Dwarkadas, F. Haberl, R. Sturm, C.R. Canizares, ApJ 752 103-125, 2012.
Last updated on April 28, 2015 11:22 AM