- Faculty Directory
- Academic Staff Directory
- Administrative Staff Directory
- Pappalardo Fellows Directory
- Postdoctoral Scholars
- Departmental Committees
- Society of Physics Students
- Physics Graduate Students Council
- Undergraduate Women in Physics
- Graduate Women in Physics
- MIT Association of Postdoctoral Scholars
- Alumni & Friends
Professor of Physics, Emeritus
Name: Ernest J. Moniz
Title(s): Professor of Physics, Emeritus
Area of Physics
Professor Moniz's current research interests are centered on energy, science and technology, and national security policy.
Ernest J. Moniz is the Cecil and Ida Green Professor of Physics and Engineering Systems, Director of the Energy Initiative, and Director of the Laboratory for Energy and the Environment at the MIT Department of Physics, where he has served on the faculty since 1973. Professor Moniz served as Under Secretary of the Department of Energy from 1997 until January 2001 and, from 1995-97, as Associate Director for Science in the Office of Science and Technology Policy in the Executive Office of the President.
At MIT, Prof. Moniz served as Head of the Department of Physics and as Director of the Bates Linear Accelerator Center. His principal research contributions have been in theoretical nuclear physics and in energy technology and policy studies. He currently serves on President Obama’s Council of Advisors for Science and Technology (PCAST).
Professor Moniz received a Bachelor of Science degree summa cum laude in physics from Boston College, a doctorate in theoretical physics from Stanford University, and honorary doctorates from the University of Athens, the University of Erlangen-Nurenburg, and Michigan State University. He was a National Science Foundation Postdoctoral Fellow at Saclay, France, and at the University of Pennsylvania. Professor Moniz is a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the Humboldt Foundation, and the American Physical Society and a member of the Council on Foreign Relations. He received the 1998 Seymour Cray HPCC Industry Recognition Award for vision and leadership in advancing scientific simulation and, in 2008, the Grand Cross of the Order of Makarios III for contributions to development of research, technology and education in Cyprus and the wider region.
- Moniz, E. J., M. A. Kenderdine, Meeting Energy Challenges: Technology and Policy, Physics Today (April 2002).
- Moniz, E. J., L. Frankfurt, M. Sargayan, M. Strikman, Correlation Effects in Nuclear Transparency,Physical Review C51 (1995) 3435.
- Moniz, E. J., F. Lenz, M. Thies, Signatures of Confinement in Axial Gauge QCD, Annals of Physics 242 (1995) 429.
- Moniz, E. J., L. Hebel et al, Nuclear Fuel Cycles and Waste Management, Rev. Mod. Phys. 50 (1978) Part II.
Last updated on March 25, 2014 3:04 PM