- Faculty Directory
- Academic Staff Directory
- Administrative Staff Directory
- Pappalardo Fellows Directory
- Postdoctoral Scholars
- Departmental Committees
- Society of Physics Students
- Physics Graduate Students Council
- Undergraduate Women in Physics
- Graduate Women in Physics
- MIT Association of Postdoctoral Scholars
- Alumni & Friends
Name: Gunther Roland
Title(s): Professor of Physics
Phone: (617) 253-9735
Assistant: Anna Maria Convertino (617) 253-2391
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Area of Physics:
- B. 1989, UNIVERSITAET DER FRANKFORT-AM MAIN
- Ph.D. 1993, UNIVERSITAET DER FRANKFORT-AM MAIN
Professor Roland's research interests are in:
- experimental studies of hadronic and nuclear interactions;
- understanding the properties of strongly interacting matter under extreme conditions;
- experimental, mathematical and computational aspects of many-particle correlation measurements and multiscale fluctuation analysis;
- and hardware and software technology of charged particle tracking in high multiplicity environments.
Professor Roland joined the Heavy Ion Group in the MIT Department of Physics in September 2000 from CERN, where he was a Scientific Associate. In July 2004, he was promoted to Associate Professor of Physics at MIT. He received his Ph.D. from the Institut fur Kernphysik, Frankfurt, in 1993. He was promoted to Full Professor in July 2011.
- "Ratios of charged antiparticles to particles near mid-rapidity in Au+Au collisions at sqrt(s) = 130 GeV", B. B. Back et al. (PHOBOS collab.), Phys Rev Lett. 87 (10): art. no. 102301 (2001).
- "Event-by-Event Fluctuations of the kaon to pion ratio in central Pb+Pb collisions at 158 GeV per nucleon", S. V. Afanasiev et al. (NA49 collab.), Phys. Rev. Lett. 86 1965 (2001).
- "Charged particle multiplicity near mid-rapidity in central Au + Au collisions at sqrt(s) = 56 GeV and 130 GeV", B. B. Back et al. (PHOBOS collab.), Phys. Rev. Lett. 85 3100 (2000).
- "Event-by-event transverse momentum fluctuations in central Pb+Pb collisions at 158 GeV per Nucleon", H. Appelshauser et al. (NA49 collab.), Phys. Lett. B 459 679 (1999).
- "Transverse momentum dependence of Bose-Einstein correlations in 200-A/GeV/c S + A collisions", NA35 Collaboration, Phys. Rev. Lett. 74 1303 (1995).
Last updated: 04.01.2013