- Faculty Directory
- Academic Staff Directory
- Administrative Staff Directory
- Pappalardo Fellows Directory
- Postdoctoral Scholars
- Departmental Committees
- Society of Physics Students
- Physics Graduate Students Council
- Undergraduate Women in Physics
- Graduate Women in Physics
- MIT Association of Postdoctoral Scholars
- Alumni & Friends
Pappalardo Fellow in Physics: 2009-12
Name: Paul Chesler
Title(s): Pappalardo Fellow in Physics: 2009-12
Phone: (617) 253-7031
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue, Bldg. 6C-403
Cambridge, MA 02139
Area of Physics:
Nuclear and Particle Theory
Paul Chesler's research interests lie primarily in the fields of particle, nuclear and gravitational physics. Much of his research has focused on non-equilibrium phenomena in quantum field theory and its exploration via gauge/gravity duality.
One facet of gauge/gravity duality which Chesler is interested in is the fluid/gravity correspondence, which relates the classical evolution of black holes in D+1 spacetime dimensions to the quantum dynamics of strongly coupled fluids in D spacetime dimensions. Chesler is interested in applying lessons and techniques from general relativity to problems within gauge/gravity duality in order to study aspects of fluid dynamics and far-from-equilibrium processes in high energy physics.
Chesler is also interested in holographic descriptions of various phenomena in condensed matter physics, such as superconductivity and superfluidity.
Paul Chesler receive his Ph.D in the summer of 2009 under the supervision of Laurence Yaffe. He obtained his undergraduate degree in mathematics and physics from the University of California, Santa Cruz, in 2003.
- P.M. Chesler and L.G. Yaffe, "Horizon formation and far-from-equilibrium isotropization in supersymmetric Yang-Mills plasma," (Dec. 2008) [ arXiv:0812.2053 [hep-th]].
- P.M. Chesler and A. Vuorinen, "Heavy flavor diffusion in weakly coupled N = 4 super Yang-Mills theory," JHEP 0611, 037 (2006) [arXiv:hep-ph/0607148].
- P.M. Chesler and L.G. Yaffe, "The wake of a quark moving through a strongly-coupled N = 4 supersymmetric Yang-Mills plasma," Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 152001 (2007) [arXiv:0706.0368[hep-th]].
- P.M. Chesler and L.G. Yaffe, "The stress-energy tensor of a quark moving through a strongly-coupled N = 4 supersymmetric Yang-Mills plasma: comparing hydrodynamics and AdS/CFT," Phys. Rev. D 78, 045013 (2008) [arXiv:0712.0050 [hep-th]].