- Faculty Directory
- Academic Staff Directory
- Administrative Staff Directory
- Pappalardo Fellows Directory
- Postdoctoral Scholars
- Departmental Committees
- Society of Physics Students
- Physics Graduate Students Council
- Undergraduate Women in Physics
- Graduate Women in Physics
- MIT Association of Postdoctoral Scholars
- Alumni & Friends
Pappalardo Fellow in Physics: 2010-2013
Name: Simona Vegetti
Title(s):Pappalardo Fellow in Physics: 2010-2013
Phone: (617) 253-3429
Department of Physics
Area of Physics:
Galaxy formation and evolution, galaxy structure, and gravitational lensing.
Simona Vegetti completed her Ph.D. at the Kapteyn Astronomical Institute, the University of Groningen, The Netherlands. While there, she worked with Prof. Leon Koopmans on a new project to detect mass substructure in gravitational lens galaxies.
Before moving to The Netherlands, Vegetti studied at the University of Turin where she received her M.A. in Astrophysics and her B.S. in Physics. Her M.A. thesis on the morphological and kinematical properties of galaxies in the outer region of clusters was supervised by Prof. Antonaldo Diaferio. Her B.S. thesis on the photometric properties of AGB stars in the near-infrared wavelength was supervised by Prof. Giovanni Silvestro.
- "Bayesian strong gravitational-lens modelling on adaptive grids: objective detection of mass substructure in galaxies," Vegetti, S., and Koopmans, L.V.E. (2009). Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 392, Issue 3, pp. 945-963.
- "Detection of a dark substructure through gravitational imaging," Vegetti, S., et al. (2009), arXiv:0910.0760, submitted to the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.