Subject: [fj.comp.image] OTIS E-Gallery (electronic art via FTP) (periodic posting)
From: [email-masked] (Ed Stastny)
Date: 23 Nov 1993 14:25:54 +0100
Newsgroups: comp.archives

Archive-Name: auto/fj.comp.image/OTIS-E-Gallery-electronic-art-via-FTP-periodic-posting

	-------------------------------------
	+ ........The OTIS Project......... +      
	+ "The Operative Term Is STIMULATE" + 
	-------------------------------------
	---this file last updated..11-1-93---

WHAT IS OTIS?

OTIS is an electronic art-gallery spanning the length and breadth of
the world's computer networks.  A public access file-library of
hundreds of images, animations and information files for creators and
spectators of all types. 

OTIS is here to distribute original creative images over the world's
computer networks for public perusal, scrutiny and retransmission.
To facilitate communication, inspiration, critique and to set the 
foundations for digital immortality.
 
The basic idea behind "digital immortality" is that computer networks   
are here to stay and that anything interesting you deposit on them
will be around near-forever.  The GIFs and JPGs of today will be the
artifacts of an information-laden future.  Perhaps the images will be
converted into newer formats when the current become obsolete...
perhaps only surviving on forgotten backup reels...but they'll be
there...and someone will dig them up.  Data-archaeologists sifting
through the cobwebs of an old storage room.

The hieroglyphics of our age.

You've all heard "a picture's worth a thousand words"...just think of
OTIS as a huge compressed archive of emotion and psychological       
disruption.

If that doesn't interest you... OTIS also offers a forum for critique
and exhibition of your works....a virtual art gallery that never closes
and exists in an information dimension where your submissions will hang
as wallpaper on thousands of glowing monitors.  Suddenly, another life
is breathed into your work...and, by merit of it's stimulus, it will 
travel the globe on pulses of light and electrons.
 
Spectators are welcome also, feel free to browse the gallery and 
let the artists know what you think of their efforts.  Keep your own
copies of the images to look at when you've got the gumption...
that's what they're here for.

---------------------------------------------------------------

WHERE?             

OTIS currently (as of 11/01/93) has three FTP sites.  
 
 	141.214.4.135 (projects/otis), the UWI site
		
	sunsite.unc.edu (/pub/multimedia/pictures/OTIS), the SUNsite 
	(you can GOPHER to this site for OTIS as well as use
	 WWW or XMosaic to graphically graze it's contents)

	aql.gatech.edu (/pub/OTIS)

Merely "anonymous FTP" to any of these sites and change to the
appropriate directory.  Don't forget to use the "bin" command to insure
you're in binary transfer mode.  Sunsite is the most up-to-date and 
thorough site.        

If you have access to GOPHER, you can graze OTIS that way, as I mentioned.
A few of the major OTIS GOPHERs are:
 
	sunsite.unc.edu (Worlds of Sunsite, Browse All Sunsite Archives,
			 Multimedia, Pictures, OTIS)

	aql.gatech.edu 

	gopher.well.sf.ca.us (Art, OTIS (link to aql.gatech.edu))

OTIS has also been spreading to some dial-up BBS systems around North
America....the following systems have a substancial supply of
OTIStuff...
	Pair O Dice (Austin)	512.451.4610 (300 - 2400)
				512.451.7117 (2400 - 14.4k)

	CyberDen (SanFran?) (415.472.5527)  Usenet Waffle-iron

	Underground Cafe (Omaha)	(402) 339-0179

For those wanting to receive OTIS files via mail, send a SASE for current
directory to: OTIS\ PO BX 241113\ Omaha,NE 68124-1113\ USA.

--------------------------------------------------------------

WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?

Any type of original visual art.  Photos, drawings, raytracings, 
video stills, paintings, computer-assisted renderings, photos of
your sculpture/3d pieces, photocopier art, zine covers, record/cd
covers and any other type of image-based expression.  OTIS' focus  
is still-image, but does have space set aside for animations and
self executing slide-shows.  
 
We're also looking for teachers, students, graphic designers, gallery
owners, zine-publishers and other people dealing with visual artists
to help and recruit people to contribute to OTIS.  We realise
that most people don't know much about scanning pictures, much less
getting them on "the net".  The local contact would be not only 
beneficial to the growth of the project, but a learning experience 
for all involved.

---------------------------------------------------------------

CREDIT AND DOCUMENTATION OF IMAGES?

In each directory of OTIS, there is a text file containing a list of 
images, a description for each image and artist credit.  These files
are called INDEX and should be easy to spot.  

Also, there is a specific directory for text information on contributing
artists.  These files contain contact information, OTIS-credits, and 
any other information the artist wishes to pass along.  Things like 
detailed descriptions of images, biographies, permission statements, 
requests for criticism and pleas for guidance are not at all uncommon.
You'll find all of this information in the Artists directory at the FTP
sites.  The files are listed alphabetically by the artists' last name.

--------------------------------------------------------------- 

HOW DO YOU CONTRIBUTE?
              
First...create a terrific piece of art.  You then have a few options.

1) FTP
	If you have the file in computer-format (traditional photos
	and illustrations will have to be scanned in, more on that
	later) and FTP access, you can use FTP to submit your image.

	You can FTP the image to either FTP site by logging in as
	anonymous, using your email address as your password.  Then
	change to the OTIS directory, then the "Incoming" directory.
	Once there, be sure you're in "binary" mode by typing BIN.
	Use the PUT command to "put" your files into the Incoming
	directory (ie. "put filename.gif").  Check with your local
	system administrator if you need further assistance.

	Once you have your image(s) "put" in the Incoming directory,
	send us email with information pertaining to the file(s).  
	This information should include your name, the "permission"
	status of the pieces submitted (if people can reuse them or
	not) and the names of the images submitted.  Optional infor-
	mation, like professional credits, occupation and favorite
	beverage, can be included as well.  Check out the ARTISTS
	directory at either site for examples.

	Instead of emailing, you may want to include a text file 
	containing the mentioned information with your uploads.
	This is usually done by including a file with the same
	name as your image, but with a ".txt" extension.

	Please keep still images in either GIF or JPG format.
	(We can convert if you're unable to.)    

	Supported animation filetypes are FLI, FLC, QuickTime, MPEG,
	Amiga ANIM, DL and GL.  Feel free to submit any type and
	let me know what you think the standards should be.

2) EMAIL
	You can email images to OTIS by using an ASCII encoding 
	program called UUENCODE.  Most systems have it available.
	Merely UUENCODE your submissions and email them to us.

3) REGULAR POSTAL MAIL
	If you have submissions, but no way to transfer them 
	electronically to us, you can send us 3.5" disks with
	your submissions on them.  MAC or DOS formats are fine.
	If you'd like your disks returned, merely include 
	return postage or international postage certificates for
	the proper amount.

	Also, if you do not have a way to put your images into
	digital format, you can send copies of your photos, drawings,
	or paintings and we will scan them for you.  Again, include
	return postage if you wish the copies to be returned.  We 
	strongly discourage the sending of original pieces through 
	mail.  Clear color photographs of paintings and sculptures
	are welcome.  

	Please include the standard "artist" information (mentioned
	above) as well as the following:  1-3 line description of
	each submission, your suggested filename for each image and
	any specifications for cropping and other image manipulation.

	Feel free to include a blank disk and return postage, we'll
	put your images on disk for you and send them back.

	The address for all postal correspondance is:

	OTIS Project
	PO BX 241113
	Omaha, NE 68124-1113
	USA

(Soon to come, FAX)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

DISTRIBUTION?

Freely distribute any and all OTIS files if you follow the simple
rule...keep the file in it's original state (filename and format).
Do not alter the image unless permission is explicitly given to the
contrary (some submittors allow proportional resizing).  

OTIS invites the mirroring of it's archives to other FTP sites and
the extension of OTIS to more BBS systems across the globe.  We're
specifically looking for outlets on CompuServe, The WELL, Prodigy,
Minitel, ECHO and other online systems.  If you can help, please email 
us.  If nothing else, feel free to post this file to the discussion
areas of any of those systems.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

USE?

If you want to use any of the works you find on the OTIS directory,
you'll have to check to see if permission has been granted and the 
stipulations of the permission (such as free copy of publication, or
full address credit).  You will either find this in the ".rm" file for    
the image or series of images...or in the "Artists" directory under the 
Artists name.  If permission isn't explicitly given, then you'll have 
to contact the artist to ask for it.  If no info is available, email
us ([email-masked]), and I'll get in contact with the artist for 
you, or give you their contact information.
 
When you DO use permitted work, it's always courteous to let the artist
know about it, perhaps even send them a free copy or some such
compensation for their files.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

NAMING IMAGES?

For the first nine-months of OTIS, filenames were required to be in DOS
(8.3) format.  That is, eight characters, a period, then a three character
extension such as GIF or JPG.  That has changed.  Repeat, that has changed.
You are now able to make filenames as long as your platform will allow.
Please, though, place only a three digit extension on the file and DO NOT 
use the period/decimal point except to separate the extension (GIF or JPG)
from the filename.   

It is suggested, but not required, that you use your initials as the first
two or three letters of your filename.  This helps organize images and 
differentiate filenames.

Acceptable filenames would be:

	ld-mechanical-drawings.gif	The-Bubble.jpg
	Mona-Lisa.gif			VV-self_portrait.jpg

UNacceptable filenames would be:

	My.First.Diapers.gif   	(period/decimals confuse truncation of names)
				(corrected: My_First_Diapers.gif)

	This-is-my-bro.JPEG 	(file extension should be 3 characters)
				(corrected: This-is-my-bro.jpg) 

Though it is not required, keeping the names under 8 characters assures
that the filename will remain intact on all systems.  

Again...remember to keep the "extension" (the digits after the period)
to three characters or less.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- 

CREATING IMAGE FILES?

When creating image files, be sure to at least include your name
somewhere on or below the picture.  This gives people a reference in
case they'd like to contact you.  You may also want to include a title,
address or other information you'd like people to know.

You can usually add this sort of infomation with even the simplest of
"paint" software.  If you are unable to put this information on, but 
would like it put on...let us know.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSSION AND CRITIQUE

To facilitate interactivity and discussion among OTIS contributors and 
their loyal followers, an email listserver has been erected.  For those
of you unfamiliar with listservers...they're like automatic mass-mailing
lists.  You send a message to the server, it gets bounced to all of
it's subscribers.  Other people read it and reply to the list...public 
discussion ensues right in your email-box.  For those of you who pay for
email by volume...this might not be the best perk.
 
To subscribe to the emailing-list, send an email to:

		[email-masked]
	
To send a message to the list:

		[email-masked]

I encourage you to post your opinions, good or bad, about anything you 
see on OTIS.  It'll help us grow and give us something to talk about.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

DISCLAIMER:  The OTIS Project has no connection to the Church of OTIS  
 	     (a sumerian deity) or it's followers, be they pope, priest,
	     or e-zine administrator.  We do take sacrifices and donations
	     however.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

DISCLAIMER:  The OTIS Project is here for the distribution of original 
 	     image files.  The files will go to the public at large.  
	     It's possible, as with any form of mass-media, that someone
	     could unscrupulously use your images for financial gain.  
    	     Unless you've given permission for that, it's illegal.  OTIS
	     takes no responsibility for this.  In simple terms, all rights
	     revert to the author/artist.  To leave an image on OTIS is to 
	     give permission for it to be viewed, copied and distributed 
	     electronically.  If you don't want your images distributed     
	     all-over, don't upload them.  To leave an image on OTIS is
	     NOT giving permission to have it used in any publication or
	     broadcast that incurs profit (this includes, but is not 
	     limited to, magazines, newsletters, clip-art software,        
	     screen-printed clothing, etc).  You must give specific
	     permission for this sort of usage.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
FEEL FREE TO DISTRIBUTE THIS TEXT FILE FREELY.  THE MORE THE MERRIER.

Thanks....

	OTIS PROJECT
	Ed Stastny 
	PO BX 241113
	Omaha, NE 68124-1113
	USA

INTERNET: 	[email-masked] 
		[email-masked]
MAJORNET:	shadowe@tmi
--
[email-masked]   | OTIS digital net-gallery, GIFs, JPGs, animations
PO BX 241113	     | FTP: sunsite.unc.edu (/pub/multimedia/pictures/OTIS)
Omaha, NE 68124-1113 |      aql.gatech.edu (/pub/OTIS)
[email-masked]  |      141.214.4.135 (projects/otis)