- [02/13/14] Our paper on the Mechanics of Curly Hair is [02/13/14] Our paper on the Mechanics of Curly Hair is published in Phys. Rev. Lett. [More info Here].
- [02/07/14] Pedro Reis is promoted from Assistant Professor to Associate Professor.
- [30/01/14] Alice Nasto and Khalid Jawed pass the Ph.D. qualyfing exams in MechE/MIT.
- [01/24/13] Pedro Reis receives the Early CAREER Award from the National Science Foundation [MITNews, NSF].
- [12/12/13] James Miller succesfully defences his Ph.D. thesis. Congratulations Dr. Miller!
- [11/06/13] Our past work of synthetic flowers that can grab water is now being used by renowned chef Jose Andres as a palate clenaser.
- [09/15/13] Pedro Reis is named to Popular Science’s Brilliant 10 list. [More info Here].
- [04/29/13] Our article on the 'Contortion' of Thin Elastic Rods is puhlished on Soft Matter for the special themed issue on "Geometry and Topology of Soft Materials". [More info Here].
- [04/03/13] MIT News article on our recent educational experiments on online education of Mechanics at the undergraduate level, "A new wrinkle in online education".
- [04/11/13] Our paper on localized structures (s-cones) in thin elastic shells under indentation is published on Soft Matter. [More info Here]
- [04/03/13] Arnaud and Jay's paper on a
novel simulation tool to compute the equilibria and stability of
geometrically-nonlinear configuration of thin elastic rods is published on JMPS. [More info Here]
- [04/01/13] We welcome Joćo Lopes, an engineer from CERN, who is visiting our lab on sabbatical.
- [10/05/12] Our paper on the Geometry-Induced
rigidity of nonspherical pressurized shells is published in Phys. Rev. Lett (Cover story
Focus and Editor's Suggestion). More info Here.
- [08/08/12] The journal Nature
features the "Extreme Mechanics"
movement and some of work in a News Feature article! [html, pdf].
- [03/30/12] Alice Nasto is awarded a Graduate Research
Fellowship from NSF.
- [03/26/12] Our work on The Buckliball is published in PNAS. MITnews story [here].
- [03/07/12] James Miller is Interviewed by APS' Physics Central about
his work on the mechanics curly hair (naturally curved thin rods).
- [12/26/11] Our Clapping Book problem is featured in NPR's Morning
- [11/23/11] "Folded in hierarchy" News & Views published in
Nature Materials (2011), (accompanying article by H. Stone et. al).
- [11/21/11] Welcome Denis Terwagne who joins the EGS.Lab as
a Postdoc and Fulbright Fellow.
- [06/07/11] Arnaud Lazarus and Bastiaan Florijn were awarded
the Best Poster Prize at the "New Frontiers of Solid Mechanics - From Earthquakes to
Single Molecules."held at Brown University, for the poster "Geometry-induced rigidity in pressurized
- [06/06/11] Our paper on Wrinklons
Hierarchy in Constrained Thin Sheets from Suspended
Graphene to Curtains" - is
published in Phys. Rev. Lett.
[html] (Cover Story).
- [05/20/11] Our paper "Scratching
as a Fracture Process: From Butter to Steel" is published in Phys. Rev. Lett. [html] and
is selected for Physical
- [11/26/10] Our paper on "How Cats Lap: Water uptake by Felis catus" is published in Science. [html,pdf].
More information here. (Cover Story)
- [10/06/10] The article "Grabbing
Water" is published in Soft
Matter (themed issue on "The Physics of Buckling") [html,
(selected as a 'hot article')
- [10/06/10] Our colleague and co-author
Kostya Novoselov receives the 2010 Nobel prize in Physics for his
seminal work on Graphene. Congrats Kostya!
- [09/21/10] Our paper on the Clapping Book "Wind-driven
oscillations in a stack of elastic sheets" is published in Phys. Rev. Lett. [html,pdf]
- [07/23/10] Our study on the dynamics of elastic "Rolling
is published in Phys. Rev. Lett. and
selected as "Editor Suggestion" [more
info here] with Pascal Raux, John
Bush and Christophe
- [05/10/10] Our article 'Tearing
Graphene Sheets From Adhesive Substrates Produces Tapered Nanoribbons'
is published in Small. with
Dipanjan Sen Kostya
Novoselov and Markus
- [09/25/09] Science
features our work on Negative Poisson ratio materials in their Editor's Choice section.
- [09/03/09] Our article 'Negative
Poisson’s ratio behavior induced by an elastic instability' is
published in Advanced Materials.
- [09/01/09] Technology review covers our work on connecting
delamination with stretchable electronics.
- [07/22/09] Our
through surface folding in solid foams under
compression' is published on Phys.
- [07/07/09] John Rogers, and Yonggang Huang have written a
review article in PNAS on our
work on delamination blisters: "A curvy, stretchy
future for electronics".