- [9/18/15] Our geometric model for coiling of rods on rigid substrates is published in J. App. Mech [html, pdf].
- [9/9/15] The interplay between the mechanics and topology of simple knots is untangled in Phys. Rev. Lett. More information [here].
- [9/1/15] Changyeob Baek, Rashed Al-Rashed and Elizabeth
(Liz) Strong join the EGS.Lab as graduate students. Welcome to the
- [8/14/15] Jay's paper on the buckling of a thin elastic rod while it is injected into a horizontal cylinder is published in ISJJ [html]. More information [here].
- [04/03/15] Pedro Reis gives an invited talk at the March Meeting of the APS on 'Extreme Mechanics of Soft Structures' in the session 'Frontiers of Soft Matter'.
- [12/09/14] Paper on the theory of wrinkling on curved surfaces, in collaboration with the group of Jorn Dunkel, is published in Nature Materials. [html, pdf]
- [12/04/14] Paper on the pattern morphology of the elastic
sewing machine is accepted for the first issue of new journal Extreme Mechanics Letters
(more about EML here and here). [html, pdf].
- [11/26/14] Paper on wrinkling crystalography on curved surfaces is published in PNAS! [html, pdf].
- [10/16/14] Congratulations to Noor and Khalid for wining 1st place of the Best Poster Competition at the 5th NEW.Mech (New England Workshop for the Mechanics of Materials and Structures) at UMass Amherst.
- [10/03/14] Khalid's paper on the coiling of elastic rods is published in PNAS. [MIT News, more info Here].
- [09/16/14] The EGS.Lab hosted 3 Chefs from Mugaritz, one of the top restaurants in the world, who gave a seminar at the MMEC Seminar Series. Read more in the CAST Blog, El Mercurio and El Pais (Back page of 09/19/14)!
- [06/27/14] Our paper on the buckling of a rod embedded on an elastic matrix is published in Soft Matter [html, pdf].
- [05/28/14] The magazine SPECTRVM features the work from our lab, in their recent issue that focuses on Basie Research. [Here]
- [05/28/14] Mark Guttag passes his Ph.D. qualifying exams in Mechanical Engineering.
- [05/27/14] Paper on Smart Morphable Surfaces for Aerodynamic Drag Reduction to appear in Advanced Materials [html, pdf]. [More info Here].
- [03/04/14] Khalid Jawed won the GSNP's Best Student Speaker Award at the March Meeting of the American Physical Society in Denver, CO. Undergraduate Noor Khouri (UROP) also presented her work at the conference.
- [02/13/14] Our paper on the Mechanics of Curly Hair is [02/13/14] Our paper on the Mechanics of Curly Hair is published in Phys. Rev. Lett. [More info Here].
- [02/07/14] Pedro Reis is promoted from Assistant Professor to Associate Professor.
- [30/01/14] Alice Nasto and Khalid Jawed pass the Ph.D. qualyfing exams in MechE/MIT.
- [01/24/13] Pedro Reis receives the Early CAREER Award from the National Science Foundation [MITNews, NSF].
- [12/12/13] James Miller succesfully defences his Ph.D. thesis. Congratulations Dr. Miller!
- [11/06/13] Our past work of synthetic flowers that can grab water is now being used by renowned chef Jose Andres as a palate clenaser.
- [09/15/13] Pedro Reis is named to Popular Science’s Brilliant 10 list. [More info Here].
- [04/29/13] Our article on the 'Contortion' of Thin Elastic Rods is puhlished on Soft Matter for the special themed issue on "Geometry and Topology of Soft Materials". [More info Here].
- [04/03/13] MIT News article on our recent educational experiments on online education of Mechanics at the undergraduate level, "A new wrinkle in online education".
- [04/11/13] Our paper on localized structures (s-cones) in thin elastic shells under indentation is published on Soft Matter. [More info Here]
- [04/03/13] Arnaud and Jay's paper on a
novel simulation tool to compute the equilibria and stability of
geometrically-nonlinear configuration of thin elastic rods is published on JMPS. [More info Here]
- [04/01/13] We welcome Joćo Lopes, an engineer from CERN, who is visiting our lab on sabbatical.
- [10/05/12] Our paper on the Geometry-Induced
rigidity of nonspherical pressurized shells is published in Phys. Rev. Lett (Cover story
Focus and Editor's Suggestion). More info Here.
- [08/08/12] The journal Nature
features the "Extreme Mechanics"
movement and some of work in a News Feature article! [html, pdf].
- [03/30/12] Alice Nasto is awarded a Graduate Research
Fellowship from NSF.
- [03/26/12] Our work on The Buckliball is published in PNAS. MITnews story [here].
- [03/07/12] James Miller is Interviewed by APS' Physics Central about
his work on the mechanics curly hair (naturally curved thin rods).
- [12/26/11] Our Clapping Book problem is featured in NPR's Morning
- [11/23/11] "Folded in hierarchy" News & Views published in
Nature Materials (2011), (accompanying article by H. Stone et. al).
- [11/21/11] Welcome Denis Terwagne who joins the EGS.Lab as
a Postdoc and Fulbright Fellow.
- [06/07/11] Arnaud Lazarus and Bastiaan Florijn were awarded
the Best Poster Prize at the "New Frontiers of Solid Mechanics - From Earthquakes to
Single Molecules."held at Brown University, for the poster "Geometry-induced rigidity in pressurized
- [06/06/11] Our paper on Wrinklons
Hierarchy in Constrained Thin Sheets from Suspended
Graphene to Curtains" - is
published in Phys. Rev. Lett.
[html] (Cover Story).
- [05/20/11] Our paper "Scratching
as a Fracture Process: From Butter to Steel" is published in Phys. Rev. Lett. [html] and
is selected for Physical
- [11/26/10] Our paper on "How Cats Lap: Water uptake by Felis catus" is published in Science. [html,pdf].
More information here. (Cover Story)
- [10/06/10] The article "Grabbing
Water" is published in Soft
Matter (themed issue on "The Physics of Buckling") [html,
(selected as a 'hot article')
- [10/06/10] Our colleague and co-author
Kostya Novoselov receives the 2010 Nobel prize in Physics for his
seminal work on Graphene. Congrats Kostya!
- [09/21/10] Our paper on the Clapping Book "Wind-driven
oscillations in a stack of elastic sheets" is published in Phys. Rev. Lett. [html,pdf]
- [07/23/10] Our study on the dynamics of elastic "Rolling
is published in Phys. Rev. Lett. and
selected as "Editor Suggestion" [more
info here] with Pascal Raux, John
Bush and Christophe
- [05/10/10] Our article 'Tearing
Graphene Sheets From Adhesive Substrates Produces Tapered Nanoribbons'
is published in Small. with
Dipanjan Sen Kostya
Novoselov and Markus
- [09/25/09] Science
features our work on Negative Poisson ratio materials in their Editor's Choice section.
- [09/03/09] Our article 'Negative
Poisson’s ratio behavior induced by an elastic instability' is
published in Advanced Materials.
- [09/01/09] Technology review covers our work on connecting
delamination with stretchable electronics.
- [07/22/09] Our
through surface folding in solid foams under
compression' is published on Phys.
- [07/07/09] John Rogers, and Yonggang Huang have written a
review article in PNAS on our
work on delamination blisters: "A curvy, stretchy
future for electronics".