From MIT President Emeritus Charles M. Vest
A collection of Dr. Vest's speeches, interviews and other communications,
provided by the President's Office of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Profile of Dr.
Timeline of the Vest Years
- Ponder the Unthinkable, Create What Could Be
- Dr. Vest's charge to the graduates at MIT's 138th Commencement, June 4, 2004.
- Dr. Charles M. Vest's annual report for the academic years 2002-2004.
Challenges Past, Present, and Future
- Excerpts from Dr. Charles M. Vest's remarks at MIT's 30th annual celebration
of the life and legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr., February 5, 2004.
- Openness and Security:
Problems, Progress, and Opportunity
- Dr. Charles M. Vest's remarks at the Annual Luncheon of the Council
of Presidents, Association of State Universities and Land-Grant Colleges, New Orleans, November 17, 2003.
- A Message from Dr.
Vest, March 20, 2003
- An open letter from Dr. Vest to the MIT community on issues affecting
the Institute in a time of armed conflict: emergency preparedness; the importance
of a supportive, caring community; and the right to freedom of expression.
- Response and Responsibility: Balancing Security
and Openness in Research and Education
- Dr. Charles M. Vest's annual report for the academic year 2001-02,
which examines the balance that must be struck if the United States is to
remain secure against terrorism while maintaining the openness necessary for
research and education. This report is also available in pdf
- Education for a New Era
- Dr. Charles M. Vest's remarks on the occasion of the award of the
Queen's Anniversary Prizes for Higher and Further Education, London, February
- Building Program Update: A Special Report
from the Office of the President
- This special report, issued as a supplement to the May 31, 2000, issue
of MIT Tech Talk, reviews plans for the most ambitious effort to improve
and enhance the physical campus and infrastructure of the Institute in more
than 30 years. (This report is in pdf format.)
- Not What We Think: What We Haven't Thought
- Dr. Vest's keynote address at the Jerome B. Wiesner Symposium on the
Future of the Government/University Partnership, University of Michigan, Ann
Arbor, February 26, 1996.
- Higher Education—A Key Economic
- Dr. Vest's address to the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce, January
- U.S. Engineering Education in Transition
- Dr. Vest's address to the annual meeting of the National Academy of
Engineering, September 28, 1995.
- Reflections on Institutional and Individual
- Address to the Alumni/ae Leadership Conference, Cambridge, Massachusetts,
September 16, 1995.
- In Search of Mediocrity: Is America Losing
its Will To Excel?
- A speech delivered to the National Press Club, Washington, D.C., July 18,
- The Importance of Diversity in the
- This statement was first published in Tech Talk, January 12, 1994, and reissued
in March 22, 1995.
- Learning in a Research University
- A letter to the parents of MIT undergraduates, published in MIT Parents
News, Spring 1994.
Arts and Creativity at MIT
- This interview was first published in Tech Talk, February 10, 1993. (Links
to a site maintained by the MIT Office of the Arts.)
- The Inaugural Address
- Delivered at Charles Vest's inauguration as the 15th President of MIT, May
Annual Reports of the President
Addressed by Dr. Vest to the Institute community, these reports are prepared for publication in conjunction with the annual reports submitted to the President by the academic and administrative units of the Institute.
Photo by Donna Coveney.
Updated May 2005.
© Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2005. To reprint or excerpt for
publication, please contact
Laura Mersky at email@example.com.
MIT Home Page