MIT launches app for Android mobile devices
Echoes functionality of Institute’s mobile site, existing app for iPhonesMIT this week launched a free application for Android devices, expanding its portable offerings to the growing family of devices that support Google's mobile operating system. The app echoes the functionality of MIT's mobile website and its iPhone app, giving users access to the latest news about MIT research and innovation, a calendar of campus events, a searchable people directory, class information and announcements, emergency updates, real-time shuttle tracking and alerts, and an interactive campus map.
"Android market share has been dramatically increasing both here at MIT and around the world," said Jason Pontin, MIT director of media. "To support our vision of creating a comprehensive mobile strategy, Android was an obvious next step for offering our community — and the broader public — access to next-generation tools for their portable devices."
Information Services & Technology managed the Android app development project in collaboration with the MIT News Office.
The free application can be downloaded from the Android Marketplace
Designed specifically for devices running Android, the app will allow users to:
- Read the latest news articles about MIT research, innovation, teaching and more
- Monitor campus shuttles in real-time using a GPS tracker, and receive “push” alerts as shuttles approach specific stops
- Search the Institute map for services and buildings at MIT
- Look up contact information for MIT students, faculty and staff via the campus directory and contact them via e-mail or phone in-app
- Get access to Stellar, MIT's course management system. Mobile Stellar can be set to send push notifications when selected classes are updated
- Receive real-time alerts during campus emergencies
- Search or browse events, exhibits, and academic and Institute calendars
The app will evolve according to the needs of MIT’s various communities. Please send recommendations for improvement and other ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.