Doctoral Roberto Rocca Fellows at MIT
- Cristina Paul, Mechanical Engineering, “Lady
Fly: new Robot for soli exploration on Mars,” Politecnico
Advisor: Alberto Rovetta, Mechanic Engineering, Robotics Lab Director.
MIT Host: Steven Dubowsky, Mechanic Engineering Field and Space
Robotics Laboratory Director. Field: Mechanic Engineering. Fall
05- Spring 06.
- Valentina Busini, Chemical Engineering, “Interaction
of Functionalized Surfaces with Biomolecules.” Politecnico
Advisor: Maurizio Masi, Dipartimento di Chimica, Materiali ed Ingegneria
Chimica “ Giulio Natta. MIT Host: Robert Langer, Department
of Chemical Engineering. Spring 2006.
- Laura Riva, Biomedical Engineering at the Politecnico
and Human Molecular Genetics at the San Raffaele Scientific Institute, “Computation
Systems for Neurodegenerative Diseases”, Politecnico Advisor:
Sergio Cerutti, Biomedical Engineering MIT Host, Enest Fraenkel,
Whitehead Institute. Spring-Fall 2006.
- Juan Camilo Botero Montero, Mechanical Systems
Engineering, “Dynamics and Control of Mechanical Systems and
Mechanical Design.” Politecnico Advisor:Massimilano Gobbi,
Mechanical Engineering. MIT Host: Jean Jacques Slotine, Mechanic
Engineering and Information Sciences and Brain and Cognitive Sciences.
- Roberto Rusconi, Nuclear Engineering, “Optical
Window for Nanoparticle Concentration Measurements.” Politecnico
Advisor: Roberto Piazza, Ingegneria Nucleare. MIT Host:
Jacopo Buongiorno, Nuclear Science and Engineering, Spring-Summer
- Luca Dede', Mathematics, "Advection-diffusion processes related to environmental applications," Politecnico Advisor: Alfio Quarteroni. MIT Host: Anthony Patera, Mechanic Engineering, Fall 2006
- Andrea Zoia, Nuclear Engineering, "Anomalous Diffusion," Politecnico Advisor: Marzio Marseguerra. MIT Host: Mehran Kardar, Department of Physics, Fall 2006, Spring 2007
- Maria Vittoria Diamanti, Chemistry, Materials and Chemical Engineering, "Relationship between a crystallographic structure of a metal surface and its anodizing behavior," Politecnico Advisor:Pietro Pedeferri MIT Host: Christopher Schuh, Materials Science, Spring 2007.
- Sara Minisini, Mathematics, "Computational Modelling of Drug Delivery," Politecnico Advisor: Luca Formaggia. MIT Host:Elazer Edelman-Harvard-MIT Biomedical Engineering Center, Spring 2007
- Maurizio Rondanini, Chemistry, Materials and Chemical Engineering, "Multiscale Modelling and Simulation of Micro-fuel Reformers," Politecnico Advisor: Carlo Cavallotti. MIT Host: Klavs Jensen, Spring 2007
- Tommaso Borghi, Electrical Engineering, "Implantable Electrodes and Cortical
Recording ," Politecnico Advisor: Alessandro Spinelli. MIT Host: Emilio Bizzi, Brain and
Cognitive Science, Spring-Fall 2008
- Marco Carminati, Computer Engineering, "Intrinsic Microfluidic Cell Separation, "
Politecnico Advisor: Marco Sampietro. MIT Host:Joel Voldman, EECS, Spring 2008
- Davide Carnelli, Biological Engineering, "Nanomechanics of Structural Biological
Materials: Integrating Mathematical Modelling and Experimental Testing," Politecnico Advisor: Roberto Contro. MIT Host: Christine Ortiz, Materials Science, Spring -Fall 2008
- Giovanni Cirmi, Physics, "High Energy, Phase-controlled, Few Optical Cycle Light
Pulses and Attosecond Pulse Generation," Politecnico Advisor: Giulio Cerullo. MIT Host, Franz Kaertner, EECS, Spring 2008
- Giuseppe Buscarnera, Geothermical Engineering, "Flowslides along Natural Slopes." Politecnico Advisor: Roberto Nova MIT Host, Andrew Whittle, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Fall 2008.
- Alberto Leombruni, Civil Engineering, "The microfluidics of biofilm formation in porous media." Politecnico Advisor: Marco Mancini. MIT Host, Roman Stocker, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Fall 2008-Fall 2009.
- Nicola Pedroni, Nuclear Engineering, "Simulation methods for uncertainty and sensitivity analysis of physical-mathematical models of safety-critical systems." Politecnico Advisor: Enrico Zio. MIT Host, George Apostolakis, Nuclear Engineering. Fall 2008-Sprin 2009.
- Leonardo Baldasarre, Structural, Seismic and Geographical Engineering,” Computational Multiscale Fast Solutions for MEMS/NEMS Analysis.” Politecnico Advisor: Alberto Corigliano. MIT Host : Jacob White, EECS, Spring-Fall 09.
- Matteo Caffini, Department of Physics, “ Functional Infrared Spectroscopy on Human Brain.” Politecnico Advisor: Rinaldo Cubeddu. MIT Host : Elfar Adalsteinsson, EECS, Spring 09.
- Natalia Ciceri Duque, Department of Industrial Engineering, “Sustainable Manufacturing and Product Lifecycle Management.” Politecnico Advisor: Marco Garetti. MIT Host : Timothy Gutowski, Mechanical Engineering, Spring 09.
- Venere Ferraro, Department of Design, “ Wearable Design for Smart Electronic Textiles,” Politecnico Advisor: Francesco Trabucco. MIT Host : Hugh Herr, Program in Media Arts and Sciences, Spring 09.
- Musstanser Tinauli, Department of Design, “Evaluating the Department of Design, “ Evaluation Trash Track Tag project in NYC,” Politecnico Advisor: Alberto Colorni. MIT Host : Carlo Ratti, Senseable City Lab. Spring-Summer 09.
- Maddalena Binda, EECS, “Nanostructured photovoltaic Structures,” Politecnico Advisor: Marco Sampietro. MIT Host: Vladimir Bulovic, EECS, Fall 2009.
- Fabrizio Guerrieri, EECS, “Quantum Imaging using a multi-pixel single-photon counting array,” Politecnico Advisor: Franco Zappa. MIT Host:Jeffrey Shapiro, EECS, Fall 2009 and Spring 2010.
- Marta Tunesi, Mat Science, “Neurophysiological mechanisms of motor skills acquisition,” Politecnico Advisor: Pietro Luigi Cavallotti. MIT Host: Emilio Bizzi, Brain and Cognitive, Fall 2009.
- Francesco Piraino, Bioengineering, ““High-Throughput Analysis Of Cell Response To Chemical Libraries, “Politecnico Advisor:Aberto Redaelli, MIT Host: Ali Khademhosseini’s, Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology, 2010-Fall 2011
- Martina Maggio, Computer Science and Automation, “Feedback Control of Computing Systems,” Politecnico Advisor:Alberto Leva, MIT Host: Anant Agarwal, EECS, Spring 2010-Fall 2010
- Marta Peroni, Biomedical Engineering, “Adaptive radiation and proton Therapy: Closing the Loop, Politecnico Advisor: Guido Baroni, MIT Host: Polina Golland, EECS, Spring 2010.
- Maria Ida Iacono, Bioengineering, Computer Science and Automation, “3d anatomical deformation model of the basal ganglia for deep brain stimulation in Parkinson disease.” Politecnico advisor, Gabriella Signorini; MIT Host: Elfar Adalsteinsson, EECS & HST, Fall 2010
- Giovanna Bucci, Structural Engineering, “Modeling the evolution of thermal cracks in brittle materials.” Politecnico advisor: Anna Pandolfi; MIT Host: Raul Radovitzky, Aero-Astro, Fall 2010
- Matteo Gazzani Civil end environmental engineering “ Extraction of power from fossils with carbon capture “Polimi Advisor: Ennio Macchi and Emanuela Colombo MIT Host: Ahmed Ghoniem Spring 2011
- Gael Guedon Nuclear Engineering ” Numerical investigation of heat and mass ” Polimi Advisor: Fabio Inzoli; MIT Host: Iacopo Buongiorno Spring 2011
- Antonio Iacchetti “Hybrid devices for Solar Light Harvesting ” Polimi Advisor: Marco Sampietro MIT Host: Vladimir Bulovic Spring 2011
- Michele Tartara EECS-CSAIL “ A new programming representation suitable for heterogeneous architectures ” Polimi Advisor: Stefano Crespi Reghizzi; MIT Host: Saman Amarasinghe Spring 2011
- Guido Salvaneschi EECS “Context Adaptive Programming” Polimi Advisor: Carlo Ghezzi; MIT Host: Barbara Liskov Fall 2011
- Maria Giulia Preti Bioengineering ”Exploring the relationship between anatomical and functional brain structure ” Polimi Advisor: Giuseppe Baselli ; MIT Host: Elfar Adalsteinsson EECS & HST Fall 2011
- Flavia Libonati Mechanical Engineering “Multiscale approach for damage analysis of composites ” Polimi Advisor: Laura Vergani; MIT Host: Markus Buehler Civill and Environmental Eng. Fall 2011-Spring 2012
- Giovanni Alli EECS “Electric Vehicle Integration with a Multi-Organizational Sharing Model of Keyless Mobility” Polimi Advisor: Sergio Savaresi ; MIT Host: Carlo Ratti Senseable City Lab. Fall 2011
- Andrea Ratti Mech. Eng and manufacturing Polimi Advisor: Tullio Tolio mechanical engineering; MIT Host: Stanley Gershwin Mechanical Engineering. Fall 2011
- Andrea Fanelli Bioengineering ‘Fetal wellbeing ” Polimi Advisor: Maria Gabriella Signorini; MIT Host: George Verghese. Fall 2011, Spring 2012
- Filippo Sironi, EECS, "Operating System Support for Many-Cores Architectures: from Time-Sharing to Spatial-Sharing Task Scheduling." Polimi Advisor: Marco Santambrogio. MIT Hosts: Anant Agarwal and Frans Kaashoek. Spring 2012 and 2013
- Francesco Onorati, Bioengineering, "Study of affective engagement through cardiorespiratory and eye-tracking signals." Polimi Advisor: Luca Mainardi. MIT Host:Emery Brown. Spring-Fall 2012.
- Mario Sangiorgio, EECS, “Analysis and synthesis of complex object interactions.” Polimi Advisor: Carlo Ghezz.i MIT Host: Armando Solar-Lezama, Fall 2012
- Monica Vitali , EECS, “Resource Allocation in Virtual Machines for Energy Efficient Data Centers and Clouds.” Polimi Advisor: Barbara Pernici. MIT Host: Una-May O'Reilly. Fall 2012
- Andrea Gilioli, Mech. Eng. “Material constitutive laws that can describe ductile fracture in metals.” Polimi Advisor: Marco Giglio. MIT Host:Tomasz Wierzbicki, Fall 2012
- Simone Bersini, Bioeng,“Cancer metastasis using advanced microfluidic systems.” Polimi Advisor: Gabriele Dubini. MIT Host: Roger D. Kamm. Spring-Fall 2013
- Stefano Grillanda, Materials Science and Microphotonics,“Materials and Devices for adaptive integrated Optics.” Polimi Advisor: Andrea Melloni. MIT Host: Lionel Kimerling. Spring-Summer 2013.
- Marco Astolfi Energy and Nuclear Science, “Advanced ORC Systems Optimization.” Polimi Advisor: Ennio Macchi. MIT Host: Ahmed Ghoniem. Spring 2013.
- Atieh Moridi, Mechanical Engineering “Cold Spray Coating Applications for Aeronautical Repairs,” Polimi Advisor: Mario Guagliano. MIT Host: Ming Dao Spring and Fall 2013
- Daniele Perego, Materials Science, “All-solid-state thin-film batteries.” Polimi Advisor: Silvia Franz. MIT Host Carl V. Thompson Fall 2013-Spring 2014
- Danilo Caporale, Electronics and Aero-Astro “Control and Optimization of Systems with an Unknown Matched Disturbance and Distributed Control Applications,” Polimi Advisor:Patrizio Colaneri. MIT Host: Emilio Frazzoli, Fall 2013
- Davide Bianchi, Electronics, “The integration of electronic circuits into photonic integrated circuits,” Polimi advisor Marco Sampietro. MIT Host: Lionel Kimerling, Fall 2013
- Ehsan Mohammadi, Chemistry and Materials Science, “A fundamental understanding of the relationship between environment, microstructure and stress on precursors to crack initiation,” Polimi Advisors:Fabio Bolzoni and Luciano Lazzari. MIT Host: R. G. Ballinger, Fall 2013
- Davide Maria Turi, Mechanical Engineering, “Innovative applications of selective membranes in Energy plants solid state thin batteries,” Polimi Advisor: Ennio Macchi. MIT Host: Ahmed Ghoniem, Spring 2014
- Davide Bartolini, EECS,” Shared Microarchitectural Resource Management to Maximize Datacenter Efficiency.” Polimi Advisor: Marco Santambrogio. MIT Host: Daniel Sanchez, Fall 2013-Spring 2014
- Giovanni Azzellino, Electronics and Materials Science, “Inkjet patterning of QD LEDs” Polimi Advisor: Marco Sampietro MIT Host: Vladimir Bulovic, Spring-Fall 2014
- Giorgia Gobbi, Mechanical Engineering, “Hydrogen embrittlement (HE) phenomenon,” Polimi Advisor: Laura Vergani, MIT Host: Ju Li, Fall 2014
- Giovanni Stefano Ugolini, Electronics and Bioengineering, “Biomed Novel Lab on a Chip for recapitulating the cardiac stem cell niche micro-environment,” Polimi Advisor: Monica Soncini. MIT Host: Roger Kamm, Fall 2014
Post-Doctoral Roberto Rocca Fellows
- Andrea Centrone, Research Topic "Probing
Nanowetting", with professors Francesco Stellacci (
MIT-Materials Science and Engineering) and Giuseppe Zerbi (Politecnico-Chimica
Industriale) Spring-Fall 2006.
- Marita Canina, Research Topic “Bio-Design
for Earth and Space: Synergism Between Humans and Machines”,
with professors Dana Newman (MIT-Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics
and Engineering Systems; Harvard-MIT Health, Sciences & Technology)
and Francesco Trabucco (Politecnico- INDACO Department). Spring-Fall
- Marco Rasponi, Research Topic " Realization of a bio MEMS device able to perform blood oxygenation directly from the water content of the blood, with professors Todd Thorsen ( MIT-Mechanical Engineering) and Alberto Redaelli (Politecnico-Bio-engineering).
- Marco Riboldi, Research Topic "Real Time Tumor Targeting in High Precision Radiation Therapy," with professors Jeffrey Coderre (MIT-Nuclear Science and Engineering) and Guido Baroni ( Politecnico, Bio-Engineering).
- Eugenio Morello, Research Topic "Raster City: Urban Data collection for Environmental
Prediction" with professors Carlo Ratti (MIT-Senseable City Lab) and Alessandro Balducci ( Architettura e Pianificazione).
- Marco Santambrogio, Research Topic "Self Aware Computing Systems”, with professors Anant Agarwal (MIT-CSAIL) and Donatella Sciuto (Politecnico, EECS). Spring 09-10.
- Giovanni Cirmi,Research Topic " Single-cycle pulse synthesis by coherent superposition of ultra-broadband optical parametric amplifiersSelf Aware Computing Systems”, with professors Franz Kaertner, ( MIT-EECS) and Giulio Cerullo (Politecnico, Physics). Fall-Spring 09-10.
- Alfonso Gautieri,Research Topic " Theoretical and experimental multi-scale studies of collagen tissues in the context of osteogenesis imperfecta disease”, with professors Markus Buehler, ( MIT-Civil Eng.) and Alberto Redaelli (Politecnico, Bioeng). Spring 09-10.
- Nasser Sadr, Research Topic "Bone Tissue Engieering as an Alternative to bone graft”, with professors Ali Khademhosseini, ( MIT-HST) and Gianfranco Fiore (Politecnico, Bioeng). Spring-Fall 10
- Riccardo Mereu, Research Topic " Qualified Numerical Midelling of Boiling and two-phase Transport Phenomena in Energy Applications,: with professors Jacopo Buongiorno ( MIt nuclear science and Engineering) and Emanuela Colombo( Politecnico, Energy) Spring-Fall 2010
- Reza Kavian, Research Topic "Carbon nanotubes/metal oxides composites electrodes for supercapacitors: Synthesis and characterization,” oxides Enforcing the link between requirements and software behavior through model synthesis,” with professors Yang Shao- Horn ( MIT, Mech Eng. and Pietro Luigi Cavallotti ( Politecnico, Chmcial and Materials Science) Spring -Fall 2011
- Andrea Mocci, " Enforcing the link between requirements and software behavior through model synthesis,” with professors Daniel Jackson ( MIT, EECS) and Carlo Ghezzi ( Polimi, EECS) Fall 2011-Fall 2012
- R. Gelichi, Mech Eng. “Continuum and Atomistic Computational Study of En Passant Cracks in Brittle Materials,” with professors Ken Kamrin ( MIT , Mech. Eng.) and Mario Guagliano ( Polimi, Mech.Eng.) Spring-Fall 2013
- Francesco Piraino, Bio-Engineering. “New Technology for Testing genomic materials.” Matthew Hancock, Broad Institute, 2013
- Daniele Dubois, IT, Self organization strategies for cooperative resources sharing in Mobile Peer-to –Peer Networks.” Henry Holtzman, Media Lab, 2013
- Sara Bagherifard, Mechanical Eng.” Application of cold spray coating for development of bio-functional surfaces with improved mechanical and biological properties.” Ali Khademhosseini, HST, 2013-201
- Seyyed Mostafa Hassani Gangaraj, Mech Eng and Materials Science, “From nanostructured powders to bulk nanocrystalline pieces: An attempt to exploit kinetic rather than thermal energy,” Advisors: Mario Guagliano and Christopher Schuh
- Valerio Panzica- La Manna, EECS,Sharing Proximity-Based Computation and Services in Infrastructureless PervasiveSpaces,” Advisors Luciano Baresi and Michael Bove
MIT Rocca Fellows at Politecnico
- Kevin Duda , PhD Candidate, Man-Vehicle Laboratory,
Department of Aero-Astro. Advisor: Larry Young. One
month research stay at Politecnico as part of the Young-Pedotti
collaborative research. January 2006.
- James Vanzo, 06 BS in Civil Engineering, will be working at Politecnico on finite element modeling. Vanzo will be hosted by professor Gianluigi Cedolin. After his stay at Politecnico,Jim will come back to MIT for a MS in Civil Engineering, Structures and Materials.
- Yu Gu, EECS PhD candidate. MIT advisor: James Fujimoto. Politecnico Host: Roberto Cerullo. Research Topic "Femtosecond fabrication of Mach-Zehnder interferometers in fused silica." Fall 2008.
- Aleem Siddiqui, EECS PhD candidate. MIT advisor: Franz Kaertner. Politecnico Host: Roberto Cerullo. Research Topic "Optical Cycle pulsed light source wth stbalized carrier envelope phase at 800mm." Fall-Winter 2008-9.
- Kevin Farino, 2010 BS in Mechanical Engineering , will be working on applications of fluidics to biology at the lab of his Politecnico host, professor Alberto Redaelli. Fall 2010.
- Charles Gruenwald, PhD Candidate, EECS, Summer 2011
- Brandon Talamini, PhD candidate in Aero Astro, will be working on numerical modeling of ductile fractures at the lab of Politecnico professor Anna Pandolfi. MIT Advisor: Raul Radovitzky. Fall 2011
- Christopher Love, PhD candidate in Mechanical Engineering, Summer 2011
- Malima Wolf, Post-doc, Mech-Eng. “Environmental impact of product and material end-of-life treatment.” Polimi Host: Tlluio Tolio MIT advisor: Tim Guotwski, Fall 2011-Winter 2012.
- James McKinney, Materials Science 2013, “New energy efficient metal processing techniques,” Polimi Host: Maurizio Vedani, MIT Advisor Thomas Eagar, Summer 2013
- Cathy Zhang, Chem. Eng 2013 Behavior of colloidal suspensions and gels under gravitational stresses Environmental impact of product and material end-of-life treatment.” Polimi Host: Roberto Piazza, Soft Matter Lab of the Department of Chemistry, Material Science, and Chemical Engineering, MIT advisor: Michael Strano, Winter -Summer 2014
back to top