A registered regular student who wishes to receive credit for work done at another college must:
- Submit a Request for Additional Credit Form, approved by the appropriate MIT Transfer Credit Examiner. The completed form should be submitted to the MIT Registrar's Office, 5-117.
- Arrange for an official transcript to be sent directly to the MIT Registrar's Office, 5-117, showing the coursework and final grade(s).
- Follow special procedures if applicable. See instructions for:
If the college is sending an electronic transcript via email the address for the MIT Registrar's Office is email@example.com.
If the transcript is in a language other than English, a translation must be provided to the MIT Registrar's Office. This can be done by a licensed translator or the student may translate it and have a faculty member in the MIT Foreign Languages and Literatures department sign it to certify it as a true translation.
The student should consult the Transfer Credit Examiner before registering at another college to ensure the subject is suitable for transfer credit and to check if a minimum grade is required.
The examiner may award credit for a particular MIT subject or, if there is no equivalent subject, may award elective credit.
A subject used to fulfill a requirement for a Bachelor's or higher degree awarded at another institution will not be accepted for credit at MIT.
Transfer credit will appear on the student's academic record with a grade of S. This grade is not used in computing the student's term or cumulative rating (GPA) but the credit will count toward Institute requirements.
HASS and Communication Requirement Transfer Credit
HASS Requirement transfer credit procedures:
- First, contact the HASS Transfer Credit Examiner for the HASS field in which you are seeking credit and obtain the Examiner's signature of approval on the Request for Additional Credit Form.
- Then, contact the HASS Academic Administrator, Andrea Wirth at (617) 253-4441 . She will review the type of credit awarded, either HASS Elective or HASS Distribution credit. If it is HASS Elective credit, she will sign the form and you should submit it to 7-104.
- If the Examiner has suggested HASS Distribution credit you will also need to contact Patricia Fernandes, Advisor for the HASS and Communication Requirements, at (617) 253-2313 . She will help you prepare a petition to the Subcommittee on the HASS Requirement.
Please refer to the HASS Requirement website for a full description of the eight-subject HASS requirement.
Communication Requirement transfer credit procedures:
- Contact the Transfer Credit Examiner for the academic department that teaches material similar to the course you took elsewhere and obtain the Examiner's signature of approval on the Request for Additional Credit Form.
- Next, contact the Advisor for the HASS and Communication Requirements, Patricia Fernandes, at (617) 253-2313. She will help you prepare a petition to the Subcommittee on the Communication Requirement.
Please visit the Communication Requirement website for further information.