Richard Y. Zhang
I am a PhD student in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, advised by Prof. Jacob K. White and Prof. John G. Kassakian. I am a member of the Computational Prototyping Group (CPG), the Laboratory for Electromagnetic and Electronics Systems (LEES), and the Research Laboratory of Electronics (RLE).
- Electric Power Systems. Transient stability. Small-signal stability. Data-driven analysis.
- Power Electronics. Fast field simulation simulation for power magnetics design (inductors / transformers). Integral equation formulations.
- Applied Mathematics. Numerical methods. Low-rank representations. Spectral graph theory. Convex optimization. Partial differential & integral equations.
Please email me if you find a bug in my code. All of the software below are released under the BSD 2-Clause License. Feel free to use the code however you like, but remember that there are no warranties, expressed or implied.
- fastlitz - Realistic litz wire characterization. Simulates litz wires in three-dimensions using the PEEC formulation. Computes the resistance of a wire, and the induced eddy loss when exposed to a magnetic field. Comes with a nice graphical user interface. [Associated paper] UPDATE 04/14: Removed dependencies on MATLAB Statistics Toolbox.
- pMag - Planar Magnetics Simulator. MATLAB software that implements several fast simulation techniques for planar magnetic devices. [User's Manual] [Associated paper].
- pFFT.m - MATLAB precorrected FFT. An implementation of precorrected FFT in MATLAB, with time-critical components written in C/C++ and precompiled for 64-bit Windows and Mac. Precorrected FFT accelerates surface / boundary integral equations, volume integral equations, molecular dynamics / n-body problems, to order near-linear complexity.
- R.Y. Zhang, A.-T. Avestruz, J.K. White, S.B. Leeb, Optimizing Filter Snubbers using Bilinear Matrix Inequalities. To appear at COMPEL 2015, Jul 12-15, Vancouver, BC.
- J. Elizondo, R.Y. Zhang, J.K. White, J.L. Kirtley, Robust Small Signal Stability for Microgrids under Uncertainty. To appear at PEDG 2015, Jun 22-25, Aachen, Germany.
- R.Y. Zhang, J.K. White, Toeplitz-plus-Hankel Matrix Estimation via Column Sampling for Fast Multilayer Interconnect Analysis. In review.
- Y. He, R.Y. Zhang, J.G. Kassakian, An energy-based method for the assessment of battery and ultracapacitor in pulse load applications. Paper presented at APEC 2015, Mar 15-19, Charlotte, NC. Outstanding Presentation Award.
- R.Y. Zhang, J.K. White, J.G. Kassakian, Fast simulation of complicated 3D structures above lossy magnetic media. IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, 50 (10), 7027416, Oct. 2014. [Preprint]
- C.R. Sullivan, R.Y. Zhang, Analytical model for effects of twisting on litz-wire losses. Paper presented at COMPEL 2014, Jun 22-25, Santander, Spain.
- R.Y. Zhang, C.R. Sullivan, J.K. White, J.G. Kassakian, Characterization of realistic litz wires using fast simulations. Paper presented at APEC 2014, Mar 16-20, Ft. Worth, TX. Outstanding Presentation Award. [Preprint] [Presentation]
- C.R. Sullivan, R.Y. Zhang, Simplified design method for litz wire. Paper presented at APEC 2014, Mar 16-20, Ft. Worth, TX. [Preprint]
- R.Y. Zhang, A Generalized Approach to Planar Induction Heating Magnetics. S.M. thesis, MIT Department of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science, 2012.
- J.G. Kassakian, R. Schmalensee et al., The Future of the Electric Grid -- An Interdisciplinary MIT study. Technical report, MIT Energy Initiative, 2011.
- 18.336J/6.335J: Fast Methods for Partial Differential and Integral Equations. MIT, Spring 2013
- 6.002x: Circuits and Electronics (MITx / EdX). MIT, Spring 2012
- ENEL 436: Power Electronics 2. University of Canterbury, 2010.
- ENCI 303: Elements of Simulation and Inference for Engineering Decision Making. University of Canterbury, 2008.
- MIT Energy Club, Co-President, 2012-2013
- MIT Energy Conference
- Content Co-Director, 2012
- Grid 101 Workshop Lead, 2010-2011
- MIT Graduate Student Council, Executive Committee, 2011-2012
- 2011 Graduate Orientation Program, Committee Co-Chair
- Legislative Action Sub-committee (LASC)
- ISO New England, Research Intern - Business Architecture & Technology, 2014.
- ABB, Power Electronics Engineer, 2009-2010.
- Beca Carter Hollings & Ferner, Power Systems Engineering Intern, 2008-2009.
- Master of Science, Electrical Engineering & Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2012
- Bachelor of Engineering, Electrical & Electronic Engineering, University of Canterbury, 2009