Instructions for Completing Form I-539 for Dependents of H-1B Applicants
Complete the following sections of Form I-539 with the dependent's (not the H-1B applicant's) information:
- PART 1: Information About You (the dependent,
not the H-1B applicant). Complete the areas that have not already
- PART 2: Application Type
1. Check box "a" if you are requesting an extension of H-4 status. Check box "b" if you are are requesting a change to H-4 status from another visa status.
2. Check box "a" if there is only one dependent included in the H-4 application. Check box "b" if more than one dependent is included in the H-4 application.
- PART 3: Processing Information
Some of this is pre-filled. You can complete the other items as follows:
1. Put the same end date that is being requested for the H-1B beneficiary.
4. Write the name of the H-1B beneficiary: "Massachusetts Institute of Technology/[name of H-1B applicant]"
- PART 4: Additional Information
Be sure to answer the questions on pages 1, 2, and 3.
- PART 5: Applicant's Statement and Signature
Note: If Form I-539 is being submitted for a minor child, it
must be signed by a parent on behalf of the minor child.
- PART 4: Additional information (page 5):
If you answered "no" to Part 4, Question 3g, write
the following in the appropriate place on page 3:
- "Fully supported by Spouse":
- MIT department:
- Start and End Dates of MIT appointment:
- Annual salary:
If you answered "yes" to Part 4, Question 3g, write
the information requested on the form and include a photocopy of the EAD (Employment
Authorization Document) authorizing employment, or other proof of work eligibility.
- SUPPLEMENT 1:
Should be completed only if the H-1B applicant has more than one
dependent included in the H-4 application.
Attach 2 copies of each of the following items:
- I-94 Admission Record printed from https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html OR paper Form I-94 ("I-94 card"), front and back, for each dependent. The date stamp on the I-94 card must be legible.
- Passport information pages(s) for each dependent
- Any current or previous H-4 approval notices for each dependent
- If changing to H-4 from another visa status: any other visa eligibility documents (Form DS-2019, I-20, etc.) for each dependent
- Proof of marriage and/or relationship (birth certificate or something verifying child's relationship to the H-1B applicant, plus official translations into English if necessary)
- EAD (Employment Authorization Document), if applicable
Submit a separate check for $290 payable to Department of Homeland
Security (regardless of the number of dependents requesting
Please read the following before signing the Form I-539:
Penalties: If you knowingly and willfully falsify or conceal a material fact or submit a false document with this application, USCIS will deny the benefit you are seeking and may deny any other immigration benefit. In addition, you will face severe penalties provided by law and may be subject to criminal prosecution.
Privacy Act Notice: USCIS asks for the information on this form and associated evidence to determine if you have established eligibility for the immigration beneft you are seeking. USCIS's legal right to ask for this information is in 8 U.S.C. 1184 and 1258. We may provide this information to other government agencies. Failure to provide this information and any requested evidence may delay a final decision or result in denial of your request.
back to top
Last Updated: April 2015