Massachusetts Institute of Technology

International Scholars Office

  • ISchO Home
  • ISchO Staff
  • International Scholars
  • MIT Administrators
  • IScho News
  • Contact Us

International Scholars


Boats on the Charles River

Before Coming to MIT

Check the latest news/guidance about COVID-19 testing and quarantine requirements from the following entities:

Guide to MIT and Visa Information for International Scholars (pdf)
Updated July 2022

Cost of Living in the Boston Area

How can I get a J-1 Visa Stamp?

How can I get a J-2 Visa Stamp?

Electronic Visa Update System (EVUS) for Chinese nationals with B-1 visas

Massachusetts Office of Tourism

back to top

Upon Arrival

Guide to MIT and Visa Information for International Scholars (pdf) Update July 2022

Book List - Making the Transition to Living in the U.S. (pdf)

Meeting People at and around MIT (pdf)

MIT Postdoc Information

Newcomers' Guide

Nonimmigrant Rights, Protections, and Resources - information provided by the U.S. Department of State

Orientation for New International Scholars - PowerPoint slides (an MIT computer certificate is required to access this document) Updated March 2023

Orientation Slides for Postdocs on F-1 OPT (an MIT computer certificate is required to access this document) Updated March 2023

Resources and Information for MIT Postdocs (pdf)

Tips for Adjusting to Life @ MIT and Boston (pdf)

back to top

General Information

Boston's Public Transportation System

Employee Resource Groups (ERGs)

Learning English (MIT Spouses & Partners Connect)

English Language Resources at MIT

International Organizations

Massachusetts Driver's Licenses, Identification Cards, and Cars

MIT Identification Cards

MIT Libraries

MIT Off-Campus Housing Office

MIT Parking and Transportation Office - Commuting Options

MIT Spouses & Partners Connect

MIT Work-Life Center

Money and Banking


Taking Courses at MIT: Information for International Scholars

Telephone Service

back to top

Visas, Travel, and Maintaining and Extending Your Status

Change of Address Requirement

Consulates of Foreign Countries in the U.S.

Extending Your Stay, Changing Status, and Future Appointments

How to Extend Your J-1 Status

J-2 Work Permission

Maintaining Your Status

Travel and Visa Renewal Information (including Travel Advisory)

Types of Visas, Basic Nonimmigrant Documents, and Permission to Work

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) (transporting goods into the United States)

U.S. Department of State (DOS)

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) - SEVIS Information

U.S. Passports

back to top

Health Insurance

Health Insurance Choices/Options for MIT International Scholars

J-1 Exchange Visitor Health Insurance Requirements

back to top

Taxes and Social Security Numbers

General Tax Information, Requirement, and Resources

Social Security and Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN)

back to top

Leaving MIT - Things to Remember

Important Visa and Tax-Related Information

Information for Employees from MIT Human Resources

Resources and Tips for Leaving MIT and Adjusting to "Home"

Travelling with electronics 

back to top

Last Updated: March 2023

DISCLAIMER: U.S. immigration laws are very complex. The information contained in these files is designed specifically for scholars at MIT; other individuals should seek assistance from immigration specialists. Immigration laws are constantly changing, and even though we will attempt to keep these files up-to-date, we cannot guarantee their completeness or accuracy. The information contained herein is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship, nor can it be construed as legal advice. Please speak with an advisor in the International Scholars Office before making applications or seeking benefits. In addition to federal regulations, MIT policy governs eligibility for certain visas/benefits.

50 Ames St, Room E18-209, Cambridge, MA 02142 | Telephone: (617) 253-2851 | Fax: (617) 253-6624 | E-mail:| Accessibility