Massachusetts Institute of Technology

International Scholars Office

  • ISchO Home
  • ISchO Staff
  • International Scholars
  • MIT Administrators
  • IScho News
  • Contact Us

Change of Mailing Address Requirements

International Scholars > Change of Address

All non-U.S. citizens are required to report a change of address to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) within 10 days of the change. This requirement applies to all non-U.S. citizens who intend to stay in the United States for more than 30 days.

  • Individuals in F-1 and J-1 status: If you move, you must notify your F-1 or J-1 visa sponsor (the office that issued your Form I-20 or DS-2019) of your new address. When your visa sponsor submits your change of address to SEVIS, this satisfies the change of address requirement for USCIS. Be sure to inform your visa sponsor of your new address within 10 days of the change.

    MIT-affiliated scholars, remember to notify the International Scholars Office (ISchO) of your new address, even if MIT is not your visa sponsor.
  • Individuals in other visa statuses (e.g. H-1B, H-4, TN, TD, B-1, or WB): If you move, you must notify USCIS of your new address using Form AR-11 (or Form AR -11SR if you are subject to special registration). Remember to also inform the ISchO of your new address.

    Form AR-11 may be completed and submitted electronically. Or, the form can be obtained in the ISchO or downloaded from the USCIS website, completed, and mailed to USCIS.

    Form AR-11SR can be downloaded from the USCIS website or obtained in the ISchO, and must be completed and mailed to USCIS. There is currently no way to file AR-11SR online.

Please Note:

  • Submitting Form AR-11 or Form AR-11SR by mail informs USCIS of your address change but it does not tell a USCIS processing center or district office to change your address on a pending application or petition. Filing Form AR-11 online, however, accomplishes both. This is a two-step process: you first complete Form AR-11 online and then enter the receipt numbers for any pending applications or petitions.
  • However, if you have a change of status, extension of status, petition for permanent residence, or work permission request pending, please speak to an advisor in the ISchO BEFORE filing Form AR-11 or Form AR-11SR.
  • Remember to give your new address to the ISchO and submit a change of address to MIT through the self-service section of Atlas.

Please see below for hints on how to complete Form AR-11 or Form AR-11SR.

Helpful Hints

USCIS has not provided comprehensive instructions on completing Form AR-11. Some of the questions are confusing and have not been clarified by USCIS. As far as the ISchO can tell, the form will be most useful to USCIS if you provide information in the following way:"I am in the United States as:"

  • If you are a J-1 Professor, Researcher, or Short-term Scholar, check "visitor." If you are a J-1, F-1, or M-1 student, check "student."
  • If you are an H-1B temporary worker, J-2 spouse or dependent, B-1 visitor for business, adjustment applicant, O-1 individual of extraordinary ability, or in another nonimmigrant status, check "other" and write in your visa type.

"A number" If you do not have an "A" number from an alien card (permanent resident card), leave this section blank.

"Port of entry into the U.S." should be your most recent port of entry as stamped in red on your Form I-94 or in your passport.

"Date of entry into the U.S." should be the date of your most recent entry, as indicated on your most recent arrival stamp in your passport or paper Form I-94.

"My stay expires on" should be completed with the end date listed on your most recent arrival stamp in your passport or paper Form I-94. When competing the paper form, if you are in J-1 or J-2 status, your expiration date will be "D/S." If you are in F-1 status, your expiration date will be "D/S." If you are filing the AR-11 electronically, the electronic form will not accept "D/S." You must use the program end date on your most recent Form DS-2019 or I-20. If you are in H-1B or O-1 status, your expiration date is the end date listed on your Form I-797 approval notice.

We recommend that you make a photocopy of the completed form for your records and mail it by certified or express mail, so you will have proof that the form was mailed.

When submitting a paper form, the completed form (Form AR-11 or Form AR-11SR) should be mailed to:

U.S. Department of Homeland Security
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Attn: Change of Address
1344 Pleasants Drive
Harrisonburg, VA 22801

back to top

Last Updated: June 2014

77 Massachusetts Ave, Room E38-219, Cambridge, MA 02139-4307 | Telephone: (617) 253-2851 | Fax: (617) 253-6624 | E-mail: