Massachusetts Institute of Technology

International Scholars Office

  • ISchO Home
  • ISchO Staff
  • International Scholars
  • MIT Administrators
  • IScho News
  • Contact Us

Filing Adjustment Applications

International Scholars > Adjustment Checklist

This information is provided as a courtesy to MIT scholars who are eligible for U.S. permanent residence sponsorship based on their MIT employment. It is not intended for outside use. Please note that the information links and forms below are subject to change without notice and that it is each applicant's responsibility to submit the appropriate documentation to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

The ISchO cannot provide you with further guidance or advise on the adjustment portion of your permanent residence application. We strongly recommend that you seek the services of an immigration attorney to review the adjustment application package with you.

It may be helpful for you to print the following forms and complete them before your visit with an attorney.

ISchO-specific forms: Your attorney may have instructions and/or forms that vary slightly - use these as a general guideline when putting your packet together.

Adjustment Checklist (basic instructions)

Please Note: If documents are in a language other than English, they must be accompanied by a translation done by a qualified translator who can certify that the translation is complete and accurate, and explain how he/she is competent to do the translation.

Certification of Copies

Visa History Summary

Immigration Attorney Referrals

USCIS forms that are required for the adjustment application:

Form I-485 - application for adjustment

Form I-134 - affidavit of support

Form I-693 instructions - with helpful information

Form I-693 - medical exam form

Other information required by USCIS:

Photo specifications - instructions for getting the proper photographs for your adjustment application

Permission to work and travel based on a pending adjustment application:

Form I-765 - application for employment authorization

Form I-131 - application for travel authorization


back to top

Last Updated: June 2017

50 Ames St, Room E18-209, Cambridge, MA 02142 | Telephone: (617) 253-2851 | Fax: (617) 253-6624 | E-mail: