Lost or Damaged Cards
If your MIT Card is lost or damaged, contact the MIT Card Office immediately. To get a replacement card, please stop by the office during regular business hours. Replacement cards cost $25/card and you must pay by check or cash.
If your ID card is stolen, first file a report with the MIT Police. Then bring the police report to the Card Office to receive a replacement card and we will waive the $25 replacement fee.
If your MIT ID expires, you will need to renew it right away or it will become inactive. Here's how:
- Students, Employees, and Alumni—Stop by our office during regular business hours.
- Visitors Sponsored by a DLC—Contact the DLC administrator and request that they renew your card.
- Spouses and Partners—The MIT student or employee who is requesting a renewal for a spouse/partner ID must first make sure their card is valid. As long as the student or employee has a valid ID card, they may request a new spouse/partner card using the the Spouses/Partners form. Once they have received the email from the Card Office stating that the new card is ready, the spouse/partner can bring the expired spouse/partner ID card in to get the renewal. There is a $25 fee for spouses/partners who live off campus.
- Visiting Students—Check with the International Student Office to see if you are eligible for renewal.
Protecting Your Identity
Follow these safety tips:
- Do not give or loan your card to anyone for any reason
- Do not leave your card as collateral
- If you lose your card, report it to our office immediately; do not assume that you have misplaced it—we can always reactivate your ID if you find it later.