MIT Student Financial Services Financial Aid

Prospective Transfers –
U.S./Canadian citizens and permanent residents

For entrance in 2015-2016

If you wish to apply for scholarship, loan and job assistance from MIT, we recommend submitting the following documents as soon as possible. We read applications in the order they are completed, so the earlier you get your application documents in to us, the earlier you will have you financial aid award letter. You can track the status of your financial aid application by checking MyMIT. Remember to keep copies of all your application documents. Also keep in mind that after you're awarded financial aid, there are additional steps you must take before your aid is disbursed.

Required Documents Instructions

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)*

*U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents Only

Designate MIT as one of your recipients using federal code 002178

Available January 1, 2015

(If you believe you will not qualify for MIT Scholarship assistance and would like to apply for federal aid only, please complete the FAFSA and email to tell us you will not be completing the rest of the application requirements.  The email should come from the student, not from a parent.)


Designate MIT as a recipient by using our CSS code number of 3514 and answer the CSS Supplemental Questions specific to MIT.

Non-Custodial Parent's Profile

If your parents are separated or divorced, your non-custodial parent must file this form.

Once you complete the CSS PROFILE, CSS will e-mail you application instructions, including a link to the Noncustodial Parent's PROFILE web site and login instructions, to send to your noncustodial parent.

Parents' 2014 Income Tax Returns, W-2 forms and all schedules

Canadian Citizens must submit their entire T1 General tax return and T4 statements. The "Notice of Assessment" is not sufficient data.

Submit your parents' 2014 tax returns directly to the College Board using their IDOC service. You will receive an email with a cover sheet and detailed instructions from CSS on how to submit these documents (Please note: emails will be sent starting in early February 2015). These must be the final returns that are submitted to the IRS; we cannot accept a draft or estimate. Please allow up to 2 weeks processing time on all documents submitted to IDOC.

If your family owns a corporation or interest in a partnership, you must send the most recent corporation or partnership tax return. Please note that a K-1 is insufficient data, as the complete taxes are needed.

If you, your parents, or other siblings are beneficiaries of an estate or trust, submit the appropriate schedule K-1 of IRS Form 1041 or IRS Form 4970 through IDOC.

If your parents are separated or divorced, your non-custodial parent's tax returns are also required.

Important: Do not send tax documents to MIT by e-mail.  We are unable to process electronic or scanned copies of U.S. and Canadian tax forms.

CSS Business/Farm Supplement

This form will only be required if we request it from you.  If your parent(s) are self-employed or have any ownership in a business, please make sure you answer those questions correctly on the CSS Profile.

Additional information

    If your family has special circumstances or unusual expenses, or you have any other information that will help us understand their financial situation more completely, please send us a letter detailing that information.


Important Sites Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
When you complete the FAFSA online, be sure that you and your parents obtain PIN numbers to sign electronically or submit the signature page as instructed. MIT's FAFSA Code is 002178.

CSS Profile
Apply online at the College Board website. MIT's CSS code is 3514. MIT receives your profile data electronically from CSS so you do not send copies or printouts of your application to MIT.

Click here for blogs by Admissions staff and students.
How will I afford an MIT education?

View  Your estimated expense and ways to finance it

View  Stories and actual financial aid packages for other MIT students