MIT Student Financial Services Scholarships, grants and fellowships

Scholarships and grants

Scholarships, grants and fellowships are types of funding you receive for your education that do not have to be paid back. The main differences lie in the criteria used to award this gift aid and which students are eligible to receive them. In general, scholarships and fellowships are awarded based on academic merit and grants on financial need, although at MIT, we refer to need-based grant money awarded to undergraduates as a scholarship. Scholarships can be awarded to undergraduate or graduate students, grants are awarded primarily to undergraduates, and fellowships primarily to graduate students. The most important thing for you to know about gift aid is how to apply for it.  


You’re automatically considered for MIT scholarships and federal grants when you apply for MIT undergraduate financial aid. You have to apply separately for state grants and scholarships and outside or private scholarships. Click on a link below for more information.

Graduate students

For graduate students, a fellowship or traineeship is an award that covers full or partial tuition, and also usually provides a stipend to help defray living expenses. A scholarship covers full or partial tuition only. Although most graduate scholarships and fellowships are made on the basis of academic merit, financial need is a factor in some instances.

MIT receives funds from individual donors and corporations for fellowships and scholarships.  In addition, government agencies and foundations offer fellowships that they award either directly to outstanding students for use at institutions of their choice or, in a few cases, to institutions to administer on behalf of students.

If you’re an applicant to anMIT graduate program and are seeking financial support from any of the fellowships, traineeships, or scholarships administered by MIT, included those granted by national agencies and foundation, just check the appropriate items on the regular Graduate Application for Admission and Financial Aid.  If you’re admitted to an advanced degree program, you are automatically considered for any awards for which you are eligible.

If you are a currently enrolled graduate student seeking financial support you should consult with the appropriate department.

The MIT Office of the Dean for Graduate Education (ODGE) is the best source of information about appointments to the research or teaching staffs, internal and external fellowships, study-abroad grants, and employment as a graduate resident tutor.

If you’re a U.S. citizen, another useful source of information on external graduate scholarships and fellowships is

Other MIT offices

These MIT offices are resources for scholarships, grants, and fellowships for all students, although they’re primarily targeted to those already enrolled at MIT.

  • The MIT Global Education Office, Room E39-305, offers information about undergraduate study abroad funding and post-graduate fellowships.
  • The Public Service Center, Room 4-104, provides grants and fellowships to help MIT undergraduate and graduate students with their community service initiatives.
  • The MIT Entrepreneurship Center, located in Kendall Square, rewards student excellence in entrepreneurships with a range of awards and scholarships.

Offices for study-abroad funding:

Room 11-320
617-253-4971 (phone)
617-253-9859 (fax)

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday –
9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Wednesday – 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

SFS NewsDates & Deadlines

Stay Tuned

Check your award status online

Visit to view your award.  If it is not posted, please look at the documents and messages tabs to see if we are missing anything from you.  All recently received documents will be reviewed as soon as possible.  Please contact us with any questions.