MIT Student Financial Services Scholarships, grants and fellowships

State grants and scholarships
for undergraduates

Many states have their own financial aid programs, including need-based grants and merit-based scholarships. If you’re a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you may qualify for financial aid from your home state, which you can then use to study at MIT.

It's important to know that if you receive a state scholarship, it will change your financial aid package. MIT encourages all students to apply for state scholarships because it can help reduce your self-help.

State programs have different eligibility requirements such as income, residence, or type of school you can attend (for example, many state grants may be used only for college education in that state). Scholarship recipients are selected by each state based on the family’s need as documented on the FAFSA, so to receive state scholarship funding, you have to complete a FAFSA. Deadlines for application materials vary by state. For more information, go to the National Association of Student State Grant and Aid Program (NASSGAP) web site and click on your state.